• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

970's having performance issues using 4GB Vram - Nvidia investigating

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited:
What sort of frame rates are you getting In Dying light, is it stuttering a lot?

I might've gotten a bit carried away there, sorry. I've yet to try DL, supposedly tomorrow. I'm just going by what other posters are saying. I mean, if people are reporting running out of vram and crashing on their 970s then I suppose it'll be the same in my case. Unless the game is broken, of course, which it well might be having in mind today's splendid optimization techniques and the overall impeccable quality of Gameworks titles;p Nevetheless, I'll try the game tomorrow and report back with my findings.

Do you think the 970's resale value is going to plummet biblically in the scope of upcoming few months? I'd like to stick with the card for now since it's still good and there's literally nothing sensible to swap it for. I'd have to be massive pillock to go for a 290x at this time and there's no way I'm stuffing nvidia's biblically oversized pockets with more brass by buying a 980.

I don't think Techland games or Far Cry 4 should be taken in consideration, they are a mess regardless (the fact they they are "meant to be played" games and have no SLI profiles when they come out is ridicolous).

I don't think Techland games or Far Cry 4 should be taken in consideration, they are a mess regardless (the fact they they are "meant to be played" games and have no SLI profiles when they come out is ridicolous).

Hmm. I always rated Dead Island. I first played it on a GTX 295 and it looked stunning and ran lovely.

Still play it now as it goes. Me and a mate of mine have completed it twice :)

You won't get 'em on the 4GB ram (because it does actually contain 4GB), but you should get them on the ROPs/Cache advertisement :)

Actually I don't think they advertise the ROPs cache on the NV website or etailers either? So not so much.

They openly advertise a 256bit memory bus-width and that is inaccurate... it's it's 208+48 bit or 224+32bit... with benchmarks proving it does not have a true 256bit bus... it cannot use the whole 224+32 simultaneously... hence the stuttering.

The openly advertise the same bus-width and total memory bandwidth the same on both the 980 and 970 and this is not correct, as easily demonstrable.

This is the mis-advertisement I see.

ROPs/Cache may be irrelevant.

I still have an issue with it, but only due to the stuttering... had it been advertised before purchase or if the card had been released (as it should have been) at 3.3GB or 3.5GB... then I would still have bought them... only I would like the hard-limit in place to avoid the stuttering issues.

The new NVidia driver was released before the official release of Dying Light... which included an SLI profile...

I'm not using this to defend NVidia... only it is silly to make inaccurate arguments as they do not help anyone.

Hmm. I always rated Dead Island. I first played it on a GTX 295 and it looked stunning and ran lovely.

Still play it now as it goes. Me and a mate of mine have completed it twice :)

Yes but for a few weeks they're quite buggy.
I mean, for now is "understandable" that the 970 doesn't perform well with it.

The new NVidia driver was released before the official release of Dying Light... which included an SLI profile...

I'm not using this to defend NVidia... only it is silly to make inaccurate arguments as they do not help anyone.

Read before that it wasn't working properly, my bad.

Lol, you guys are amazing, okay firstly here is the amount of VRAM used on my system when I'm just sitting on the desktop:

gtx970a.gif

As you can see I have my GTX970's main 3584mb fully available plus 146mb of the "slow" 512mb zone left. With my GTX780 I would have had 2706mb of total VRAM left.

Now here's my system with Battle.net and Chrome running (standard for me even when in a game).

gtx970.gif

As you can see, my GTX970 will have 3458mb free (just starting to dip into the "good" RAM), at this point my GTX780 would have had 2434mb free to start gaming. So the last 512mb being slower on the GTX970 is completely irrelevant for me :)

I am aware as somebody else posted that I could reduce my usage by running the Windows 95 classic shell, closing all background programs and setting whatevers open to not use GPU acceleration if it has that option. But I prefer to run my system normally as I am just gaming not hunting benchmark records or anything.

I am very happy with my GTX970 rig just like I am with my R9 290 rig, and none of you party poopers are going to make me feel bad /rasp :P

Nope all my background programs are running like always and no none of them have the option to turn off GPU acceleration.
Now with Aero.
Notice the dynamic MEM, which is system ram which is where non priority gfx assets are stored, dont go thinking just because an amount of GPU Vram is being used by other programs that all of it stays in GPU Vram when playing games, as even though i have 4GB of Vram and only 150MB is being used, still some gfx assets are being held in system mem because they are lower priority until they become the priority and out side of stability testing i dont bench.

And no one is trying to make you feel bad but dont try to make out that 290 are facing the same issues when it come to 4GB usage because the OS is using such and such they are not, for all we know what is left of programs that have not been shifted out of Vram may be taking some of the 3.5GB partition and not be in the 0.5 partition at all which make the disparity even worse.

3fkI13.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom