• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

970's having performance issues using 4GB Vram - Nvidia investigating

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I have to say that’s a little disappointing, it’s far more then internet rumours as they even admitted themselves they published incorrect specifications, and asked us to believe that they didn’t notice it for several months. I am also a little concerned that now you are freely talking in this thread that you are fairly confident that you feel you are under no obligation to offer a refund.

While I can see your stance that you personally don’t feel you miss sold the cards, you have been selling cards that were miss represented by the manufacturer and that comes with certain responsabilitys.

People are having performance issues with these cards in both SLI and with software that uses over this 3.5gb threshold.

If no-one was having any performance issues at all after the release of this new information I am sure the outcry would be very small, similar if the specifications on the card been correct when released anyone with performance issues would be directing there attention and waiting for better drivers. The combination of both falsely released ‘details’ and performance issues when these specific ‘details’ come into use on the card make the situation what it is.

The simple fact is NVidia released a card with incorrect information about its hardware and sent them out into the world to be sold, I brought one with the understanding that’s the product I was getting, they even link OCUK amongst others as ‘where to buy’ on NVidia’s own site. Now while I do not want OCUK to lose out financially I also do not want to wait an eternity for NVidia to ‘pony up’. I will continue to try and be patent but my confidence in a peaceful resolution has just taken a nose dive.

Nvidia are still at fault because this 4GB RAM is not performing as it should, especially in our most recent games.

Nvidia dont say that all 4GB RAM should perform the same, whatever you call it...... no but it's obvious that it should

them denying this is a breach of trust, it's very poor customer relations, one cant trust them after this.

Unfortunately you're wrong here on multiple counts.

Specifically:

https://www.gov.uk/marketing-advertising-law/regulations-that-affect-advertising

"The Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations mean you can’t mislead or harass consumers by, for example:
including false or deceptive messages
leaving out important information"

Both you and Nvidia advertised the 970 as having 4gb of ram however, it has 3.5gb of ram + 0.5gb of ram running at 1/10th the speed which is important information that's been left out.

In addition, the card can never access 4gb of ram as the 3.5gb of ram + 0.5gb of ram can't be access simultaneously and so the maximum ram available at any one point is 3.5gb. Therefore advertising the cards as 4gb is including false or deceptive messaging.

As such people will be entitled to refunds which they may choose to do as the card is now significantly less future proof as it effectively only has 3.5gb of ram.

Were pushing NVIDIA for an official response, NVIDIA will come back to us and when they do we shall let everyone know. :)

Right now calling us, forums, email the response is we are awaiting a response from NVIDIA.

I understand the frustration, but the 970 performance is un-changed from when it launched and everyone raved how good it was, so what is a few hours/days to wait for an official response/update. :)

Its not the end of the world and I am sure NVIDIA will either fix it or offer up a solution, but anything they do needs to be worldwide, that takes days, not minutes. :)

Our CS slamming the phone, well if I find anyone doing this they will be absolutely beaten for it over the coals, not acceptable at all!

Once again fine work Gibbo. Thanks for the update at least everyone knows where they stand.

Both you and Nvidia advertised the 970 as having 4gb of ram however, it has 3.5gb of ram + 0.5gb of ram running at 1/10th the speed which is important information that's been left out.

In addition, the card can never access 4gb of ram as the 3.5gb of ram + 0.5gb of ram can't be access simultaneously and so the maximum ram available at any one point is 3.5gb. Therefore advertising the cards as 4gb is including false or deceptive messaging.

As such people will be entitled to refunds which they may choose to do as the card is now significantly less future proof as it effectively only has 3.5gb of ram.

The maximum amount of ram on the card is the sum of the two pools.

Well, I've reviewed our sales, we've sold more 970's this Monday and Tuesday compared to last Monday and Tuesday, so who knows, maybe we'd have sold even more or not, but 970 sales are still the strongest selling GPU, even today because its performance is un-changed. :)

Performance of the product is irrelevant - the issue is with the false advertising and omitance of important information.

Specifically:

https://www.gov.uk/marketing-advertising-law/regulations-that-affect-advertising

"The Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations mean you can’t mislead or harass consumers by, for example:

We are fully aware of this, NVIDIA need to either prove they have not miss-sold or admit they have.

When we have an update that is official we shall then inform our customers. This is our stance and final, we expect an official response today or by end of this week.

So to wait a couple of days is hardly the end of the world, the cards have not stopped performing over night and until this came to light 99.9% of customers had no issue and I am sure 99% are still happy. Those who are just on the band wagon or now all of a sudden not happy I am sure NVIDIA will have a solution to satisfy or will fix the issue.

It is not miss-advertised, the card has 4GB of usable RAM, this is fact, it is how the card works at addressing that RAM.

This is my last post until I have an official statement from NVIDIA, which will come by this Friday or sooner. :)

I am sure NVIDIA will either fix it (driver) or sort something out with AIC/Etailors to take RMA's. I am sure they will not shaft anyone or will fix it.

But this is a worldwide issue, the cards performance is un-changed and people have raved how great it is, yet now they are rubbish? Come on the 970 is still the best sub £300 card, fact! :)

Just realise this is reality and for NVIDIA to make a statement, either direction takes time, once we have an official response we will let you guys know.

Were not gonna make a statement until we get something official. :)

The fact remains that when the card needs to use more than 3.5gb it suffers badly with stuttering and drops.

No amount of positive spin changes that, great card? best sub £300 card? All irrelevant if you can't use the advertised 4gb properly without running into issues.

Everyone knows Nvidia has pulled a fast one with their advertising which means every retailer has followed suit. 4gb? 256bit? Maybe but lets be honest it's not as simple as that and Nvida knew it.

They knew that people wouldn't upgrade from their 780's if it was advertised at 3.5gb.

It's also not about jumping on the bandwagon, i had noticed stutter in some demanding games but put it down to game optimisation or sli or drivers. When it seems it's a hardware issue with the card.

Well, I've reviewed our sales, we've sold more 970's this Monday and Tuesday compared to last Monday and Tuesday, so who knows, maybe we'd have sold even more or not, but 970 sales are still the strongest selling GPU, even today because its performance is un-changed. :)

i'd be careful what you post in, we're not interested in how good you're doing, more like how badly we've done out of this..... you appear to be taking sides with Nvidia.

you gladly took our money and still are, ok you're entitled too, but i'd be a bit more tactful if i was you.

Last edited:
The maximum amount of ram on the card is the sum of the two pools.

Yeah, but they've omited important information that the maximum amount of ram is never available simultaneously.

Maxwell is the first architeture to enable this disabling and so they omited important information when advertising it as a gpu with 4gb of ram which is exactly the sort of thing the UK's consumer law's protects people from

Specifically:

If you expect a judge to understand the issue and then agree, good luck with that, people have been trying to sue phone makers over advertised gigabytes for years

though a credit card company will most likely pay out to avoid court costs, it isnt neccesarily the same thing as actually being right

Not on either side, but if I had a 970 I would probably want my money back / refund. The reasons being given officially aren't really valid under SOGA.

"I thought my washing machine was 1600rpm? It's actually 1400rpm + 200rpm!" "yeah but your clothes still get washed"

"That car I bought from you...you told me it was 300bhp...but it's actually 270bhp+30bhp overboost for 20 seconds" "Yeah but it's still fast and gets you from A to B"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom