• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

970's having performance issues using 4GB Vram - Nvidia investigating

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi again,

Sorry for the delay in replying, I dropped my tin hat when looking over the battlements and had to run down and get it ;).

I'm been reading the question's and have tried to answer the majority of them below.

So first off, request for refunds.
I fully understand why people would want one but at the moment I don’t have an answer I can give you.
I am looking into it and will update you as soon as I can.

Can you return your GTX 970 and replace it for a GTX 980 with paying the difference in price?
Again, at the moment I don’t have an answer I can give you. This is something else I’m looking into but will get back to you when I know more.

What are NVIDIA going to do for the people who feel they have been mislead over the GTX 970?
We do apologies to people who feel mislead. The GTX 970 is an amazing card but I understand if anyone is not happy with the purchase.

Will NVIDIA offer compensation or offer of an exchange/refund due to misinforming customers of the incorrect spec and not detailing VRAM specifics until now?
Our specs in the reviewers guide where incorrect which is our mistake. The VRAM behaves as we designed it to but we should have given details on the memory architecture sooner.

I'm sure everyone appreciates the apology Rick, but you do realise that this is against Consumer Law in the UK/EU don't you??
The GTX 970 does have 4GB of VRAM. We did make a mistake in our reviewer’s guide on the ROP count which are currently looking into. Performance is exactly the same as we said at launch and what you guys all read in the reviews worldwide.

Seeing that the performance on the card is in effect reduced.
1) How do NVIDIA propose to resolve this to the satisfaction of the community as a whole.
2) Does NVIDIA see this as RMA for those who wish to take that route, with a full refund or credit towards another Nvidia product?
3) Will the Nvidia enforce All product packaging is amended to meet the new specifications of the card by all OEM?

First of all, let me say the performance of the card is not reduced. It performs the same today as it did when we launched it. It still the same card we received many awards and great feedback on.

For refunds or exchange, I do not have an answer I can give you at the moment. As said above, I’m looking into it and will update you as soon as I do.

All packaging information is correct, the GTX 970 does have 4GB of VRAM. We do not publish ROP or L2 cache on our packaging

Cough
Originally Posted by humbug View Post
@ Rick, welcome to the forum

When your PR Team looked at the 970 specifications list for Reviewers and it said "ROP Count" what did the your engineers say should go there? was it 64 or 56?

I'm just interested in the trail of communication between your engineers and PR; how the number 56 could be mistaken for 64.

Also, since the card's release not one of your Ten Thousand Employees spotted the error? and who wrote the BIOS for System readouts? the PR team?

Well rick it's over to you.

I'd like confirmation from w1zzard that the bios is wrong before pinning this one on nvidia because gpu-z got the rop count wrong for 1st gen maxwell as well

Version History
Added full GeForce GTX 960 support
Added preliminary NVIDIA GM200 support
Fixed NVIDIA GM107 ROP count
Added support for NVIDIA GTX 980M, GTX 970M, GTX 660 (960 shaders), GT 705, GT 720, GT 745M, NVS 310, Grid K200
Added support for AMD R9 255, FirePro W7100, HD 8370D
Added preliminary support for Intel Broadwell Graphics
Fixed sensor window having wrong size when using startup option -tab 2
Improved memory vendor detection on NVIDIA
Added PCI-Express bus usage sensor on NVIDIA
Fixed OpenCL detection for Vesuvius GPU
Improved detection for future AMD devices
Disabled memory vendor detection on future APUs
Added millisecond precision for sensor logging when refresh faster than 1 sec
Fixed some rare application crashes

Last edited:
Hi again,

Sorry for the delay in replying, I dropped my tin hat when looking over the battlements and had to run down and get it ;).

I'm been reading the question's and have tried to answer the majority of them below.

So first off, request for refunds.
I fully understand why people would want one but at the moment I don’t have an answer I can give you.
I am looking into it and will update you as soon as I can.

Can you return your GTX 970 and replace it for a GTX 980 with paying the difference in price?
Again, at the moment I don’t have an answer I can give you. This is something else I’m looking into but will get back to you when I know more.

What are NVIDIA going to do for the people who feel they have been mislead over the GTX 970?
We do apologies to people who feel mislead. The GTX 970 is an amazing card but I understand if anyone is not happy with the purchase.

Will NVIDIA offer compensation or offer of an exchange/refund due to misinforming customers of the incorrect spec and not detailing VRAM specifics until now?
Our specs in the reviewers guide where incorrect which is our mistake. The VRAM behaves as we designed it to but we should have given details on the memory architecture sooner.

I'm sure everyone appreciates the apology Rick, but you do realise that this is against Consumer Law in the UK/EU don't you??
The GTX 970 does have 4GB of VRAM. We did make a mistake in our reviewer’s guide on the ROP count which are currently looking into. Performance is exactly the same as we said at launch and what you guys all read in the reviews worldwide.

Seeing that the performance on the card is in effect reduced.
1) How do NVIDIA propose to resolve this to the satisfaction of the community as a whole.
2) Does NVIDIA see this as RMA for those who wish to take that route, with a full refund or credit towards another Nvidia product?
3) Will the Nvidia enforce All product packaging is amended to meet the new specifications of the card by all OEM?

First of all, let me say the performance of the card is not reduced. It performs the same today as it did when we launched it. It still the same card we received many awards and great feedback on.

For refunds or exchange, I do not have an answer I can give you at the moment. As said above, I’m looking into it and will update you as soon as I do.

All packaging information is correct, the GTX 970 does have 4GB of VRAM. We do not publish ROP or L2 cache on our packaging

We did make a mistake in our reviewer’s guide on the ROP count which are currently looking into.
The statement you put out to reviewers was "misunderstanding between Engineers and the PR team"

So why are you looking into it? was that another misunderstanding by the PR team?

Those poor people are having a bit of a rough time with it.

Last edited:

Oh dear...that's not a good start and I don't believe that for one second. It's proven that there is a performance hit so that's not going to stand!

youd think with such a mess up you would think they would react with quick replies. obviously not. probably got no idea what to do or just hoping people calm down and take it.

how long does it take to reply ?

this has been going on for days not hrs or minutes.

Trying to find a big enough rug.:p

I feel for the people who brought a 970 and having problems and even if not now you could in future, it is a pity that this was sorted out at launch then there would be a option if you wanted it, but I feel some people feel lied too and feel backed into a corner over this and rightly so I do feel it is the memory that people are worried about as games use more and more of it than anything else.

I hope it gets sorted so customers and retailers aren't left short changed, Nvidia could do a recall and get back a lot of goodwill back.

so basically deny what is true and not answer what people want to know which is
refunds available or not or compensation for the blatant un truths you sold the cards on.

not being funny we arnt talking nickle and dime and saying you didn't know this is bs. probably just hoped it would fly by without this fuss.

gain some respect by giving the proper answers. not we didnt know or dont know.

as to paying extra to get a 980 just lol.

I played the full game using a controller (xb1) and it was all good. Wonder whats up there?

Not sure man but lots of folk on Ubi's forums have the issue (or other issues, such as QTE events not triggering when a controller is plugged in). If I unplug the controller the game runs fine, but sadly I never learned KB+M controls and three decades of gamepads is now too ingrained!

Trying to find a big enough rug.:p

I feel for the people who brought a 970 and having problems and even if not now you could in future, it is a pity that this was sorted out at launch then there would be a option if you wanted it, but I feel some people feel lied too and feel backed into a corner over this and rightly so I do feel it is the memory that people are worried about as games use more and more of it than anything else.

I hope it gets sorted so customers and retailers aren't left short changed, Nvidia could do a recall and get back a lot of goodwill back.

They don't even need to do a full recall, if as they say there are more happy people then unhappy then just do an 'anyone who braught a card before XX/XX/XX date can get a refund as long as they do it by XX/XX/XX date.

That way the people who are unhappy get a refund, the people who are happy get to keep their card, NVidia gets some good will and won't have to deal with people returning cards in 9 months time.

A line is drawn and we can move on.

Last edited:
Its not just technical information though

GTX970 descriptions states: "delivers 2x the performance of previous-generation card, bringing new gaming experiences to virtual reality, and ultra resolution 4k displays"... blah blah blah... "these technologies provide the most immersive and competitive gaming experiences possible."

So can you honestly say:
1. At that exact point in time when the 970 has a stutter/freeze attack it is performing 2x the performance of the previous generation card?

2. At that exact point in time when the 970 has a stutter/freeze attack are you getting the most immersive and competitive gaming experience possible?

The answer is "No", its as simple as that, and just as simple is this.

Under the Sale of Goods Act 1979, goods must be (i wont list all)
- As described.

Does this card match the description at "ALL" times? No it doesnt.
Oh look consumer "LAW" broken, due to misinformation from Nvidia.

If i am wrong about this, i ask you to correct me, not flame me.

I feel sorry about companies like OCUK who are now in the firing line for a mistake thats not theirs. I hope Nvidia sort this out sooner, not just for my sake and all those in the same position as me but for OCUK too.

Hello

The thing is what they are saying is all very subjective.

Everybody has different set up's.

The bench marks they list on the site are 2560x1600 high AA Maximum settings.

So I guess if these scores are not being hit and surpassed without major stutter issues, then yeah, might be able to say "well that is not what I paid for" but in truth I think you would know that within a week of putting the card in.

Same if you bought a higher res monitor later on the basis of what they say...

The problem that sticks out the most to me, is the people at higher res, especially the Sli guys n girls, if I am correct in reading into it.

So at what point do you say "OK it's effecting all, therefore we have all be sold a lemon and we should have our money back" not sure many 1080 peeps will be able to say that at the moment. I am positive higher Res users will though and they should be redressed.

But what is one users experience is not necessarily another.

On the memory, it does have 4Gb of usable Vram (just not efficiently) , so you can't use that.

The card has been out for a while now and I have not seen many (any?) reviewers berating its stuttering at high res over 1080. I have seen a few saying it is not really a 4K card but 1260X1600 is "OK"

If you feel you could take this on with trading standards then drop them a call. I am just not sure how they would interpret the law.

JMO

Edited for spelling.... its hard being me

Last edited:
Rick,

I think the clear problem here is no matter what is said you do not get the same performance from the total 4GB in the 970 like you do with every other card on the market.

This has left people feeling exposed to trusting you based on what has been written. This in effect is miss-information as it is not clearly stated.

The fact so far is that Nvidia should have stated the RAM is 3.5GB @ X speed + 0.5GB @ X speed.

In regards to it has always performed as should is a different matter. However I think a lot of people believed the stutter issue was due to driver, not card architecture. If you look at it in that light we see a card that states 4GB of RAM on the box/spec but the buffer limit of RAM at 3.5GB causes issues when gaming and that this was not expected.

There were not enough games that were running above the 3.5GB threshold @ 1080p to test this for anyone to make comment and no one believed it to be an issue as the marketing/wording of anything written or printed would lead everyone to believe it is the same memory but not currently being used.

Now this has come to light, all the problems people have posted months back saying drivers are still a little raw are just as likely to be the RAM issue.

I don't understand why people are defending that it is still 4GB of RAM. It is represented to sell it to match the same 4GB as in a 980 and to compete against 4GB AMD cards. This is not the case and thus leads to the part where certain people believe a refund is required as they would not have brought this product knowing.

This is all that is required by law, regardless of what you believe it performs like or if it is working properly, it was not sold in the faith that the law stipulates. Just because other companies have got away and do get away with it all the time doesn't mean they should roll over and get bent in the **** either.

I am feeling sorry for people who brought these to SLI and play at 1440p or higher because the RAM being in 3.5GB + 0.5GB portions is what is affecting them. It has been shown too as well.

Last edited:
That Nvidia response was basically "sorry you feel upset, but we don't care". Or is it just me that got that vibe from his post? I won't be early adopting Nvidia products in the future that's for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom