• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

970's having performance issues using 4GB Vram - Nvidia investigating

Status
Not open for further replies.
that's a scam. ignore it.

and again, on the gpu-z thing we need comments from wizzard (guy who wrote it) because it's get 1st maxwell rop count wrong on GM207 and it's wrong about memoery usage on teh 970 as well...not sure why people keep pointing their finger at the 970's bios unless wizzard comes out and tells us the bios says 64 ROPs....

Last edited:
Considering Rick is fairly restricted as to what he can say I think he should be commended for coming on the forum.

I agree that the performance is the same as at launch but that's not exactly the issue.

Regardless, Nvidia has acknowledged they've made a mistake (these things happen) and hopefully they can come up with some sort of proposal (Refund / Exchange for another card without loss / games?) for disatisfied 970 owners.

If errors happen we need to understand why and make sure it does not happen again.

From the Nvidia website

"Frame Capture Analysis Tool (FCAT)
GPU performance is often calculated by running benchmark games and recording the average Frames Per Second (FPS) using FRAPS or a similar tool. Unfortunately, many significant performance implications can be missed by using this traditional method. What we have found is that the data reported by FRAPs does not match what you see on screen and feel in the game so, in 2011, NVIDIA engineers began work on a way to examine GPU performance in far greater detail.

These efforts resulted in the Frame Capture Analysis Tool, referred to as FCAT for short. Measuring performance as it’s delivered on a monitor, FCAT identifies dropped frames, runt frames, micro-stuttering, and other problems that reduce the visible smoothness of the action on-screen, even when running at sixty frames per second and above as reported by FRAPS. This in-depth examination of performance has enabled us to fine-tune our graphics hardware while in development, resulting in a GeForce® GTX 600 Series of graphics cards, powered by NVIDIA Kepler™ architecture, that produces a smoother gaming experience than any previous NVIDIA GPU.

To show you FCAT and to explain its inner workings, Tom Petersen, FCAT’s creator, put together the following video that cuts through the technical jargon to detail the real-world benefits of FCAT for PC gamers:"

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/fcat/technology

They have the knowledge Tom Petersen created the FCAT software they can easily test and confirm issues from users. Using under 3.5GB VRAM and 3.5GB+ but less than 4GB.

It's cherry picking clearly to cover any legal costs.

Nvidias 3% is based off this I guess ?
GPU performance is often calculated by running benchmark games and recording the average Frames Per Second (FPS) using FRAPS or a similar tool. Unfortunately, many significant performance implications can be missed
?????????

Last edited:
Aka "how to cover our rear ends better"

Your in the position of the largest market share right now, dont let that fool you into thinking your customers are sheep or can be taken for granted, PC enthusiasts are often very fickle and wont hesitate to jump ship to another brand and not go back for a good while.

Do the right thing by your customers, you have admitted mistakes have been made, now repay their loyalty, i dont think software drivers is the answer either.

Full refunds or an upgrade path to your 980 series i would think is the minimum you can do right now to retain any form of credability.

No. If there is a problem, a company needs to ensure that it doesn't happen again. Not everything is about covering their own arses you know. Surely you understand how companies work, and that if mistakes happen, measures are taken to ensure it doesn't happen again.

I was considering moving to a pair of 970's at release, (currently use 780 sli). This was mainly for the cooler running temps of the 970. As im currently only at 1920x1200 res, the games i play arent effected by vram use, and wouldnt be even with the 970's. However im moving to a swift monitor soon but have decided to stick with the 780's.

I would do the same if I were you.

500mb of ram is no reason to upgrade and IMO 4gb won't be terribly useful for much longer any way.

The only way you can be truly sorted is to cover the maximum vram used by console code.

@OldFatherTime, Just to be clear I was not trying to start a G-sync/Freesync debate. I was showing my dissatisfaction which has convinced me to not invest in more NV based products at the moment as a result of this 970 situation.

No. If there is a problem, a company needs to ensure that it doesn't happen again. Not everything is about covering their own arses you know. Surely you understand how companies work, and that if mistakes happen, measures are taken to ensure it doesn't happen again.

Just trust me on this. Everything they do or say, now or in the future is 100% to cover their arses.

Are they genuinely shooting from the hip? Or are they scurrying around talking to lawyers to see what the minimum thing they can do to resolve the situation with the absolute minimum financial impact?

Work it out, Sherlock.

1. They've already admitted to wrong doing.
2. They haven't, as yet, offered anything apart from patronising apologies.

Just so people don't miss the 3% reduction in performance difference they found in their ***average fps*** benchmarks

From Nvidia themselves:

GPU performance is often calculated by running benchmark games and recording the average Frames Per Second (FPS) using FRAPS or a similar tool. Unfortunately, many significant performance implications can be missed by using this traditional method.

I'm done fighting and shouting :P

We need to investigate that first and understand why the mistake happened and was not picked up.

This was a genuine mistake, our tech marketing team thought the card had 64 ROP’s and this has been missed since launch.
It is not in our best interests to give the incorrect specs out, it does not help us in anyway and as I've mentioned this does not affect the performance in any way from what you read in reviews.

WTF. So you have marketing team working on the BIOS? I think you need to re-think that answer.

In my opinion, even a full refund or partial trade-in for a 980 would represent merely an adequate reimbursement. After all, customers were still misinformed to the extent that many have openly admitted they would not have bought the card had they been in possession of the facts. That's outright fraud.

To actually 'make good', would require more. A refund plus a free game, or a discounted trade-in on a 980 with a considerable saving that acknowledges the administrative hassle, wasted time and broken consumer confidence of this debacle.

the 980 is no good either....... it only has 4GB RAM... i would be very careful here, because i reckon the 4GB limit will be reached late this year

Just trust me on this. Everything they do or say, now or in the future is 100% to cover their arses.

Are they genuinely shooting from the hip? Or are they scurrying around talking to lawyers to see what the minimum thing they can do to resolve the situation with the absolute minimum financial impact?

Work it out, Sherlock.

1. They've already admitted to wrong doing.
2. They haven't, as yet, offered anything apart from patronising apologies.

There's no need to be so damn patronising. Surely you can appreciate that in business, mistakes happen. They shouldn't, but they do. And sure, they need to see what they can do to fix the matter. You think companies get places by doing things that aren't always in their own best interests.

Having bought 2 x msi 970s and Asus Rog Swift im more than a little miffed with regards to this. Has there been an official response from OCUK in relation to this false advertising or is everyone waiting for Nvidia to bail them out?

Highly unimpressed.

There's no need to be so damn patronising. Surely you can appreciate that in business, mistakes happen. They shouldn't, but they do. And sure, they need to see what they can do to fix the matter. You think companies get places by doing things that aren't always in their own best interests.

I don't think this was a mistake.

Just my gut feeling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom