• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

970's having performance issues using 4GB Vram - Nvidia investigating

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nah just someone who doesn't make assumptions based on nothing and has been around here long enough to know a bit about Greg.

But people are angry about this. People who aren't angry about it patronisingly telling people that they shouldn't be angry is very provocative as it dimisses their concerns.

Throughout my working life I've dealt with tens of thousands of people. Many of them I don't understand and will never understand. It doesn't mean that if they think differently to me that I have the right to correct them or belittle what to them might be a huge concern.

Harlequin might have saved for months to get the card. It might be his first new card in years and has made sacrifices in other areas to get it. Who knows but he's upset as are many people here. Can you understand why he might snap back when someone unaffected by it who has a stack of Titans in his mobo does the metaphorical equivalent of patting him on the head while telling him to "calm down dear"?

Looks like the hammer is going to be busy today ladies and gentleman.

Zero tolerance will now prevail with instant suspensions and possible access removal to this forum.

To be clear heated discussion is fine, but childish name calling, insults etc is not! Don't be baited into a situation that will get you in trouble. RTM
report.gif
the post in question and let the mods deal with it.

Afterburner doesn't seem entirely reliable.

I loaded up SoM yesterday, maxed it out and Afterburner was showing ~7800MB VRAM usage. Slightly odd, but I guess it's reading the memory usage across both cards.

Harlequin might have saved for months to get the card. It might be his first new card in years and has made sacrifices in other areas to get it. Who knows but he's upset as are many people here. Can you understand why he might snap back when someone unaffected by it who has a stack of Titans in his mobo does the metaphorical equivalent of patting him on the head while telling him to "calm down dear"?

I completely agree and if there is a serious underlying issue with the 970 he bought, I hope he can return it. I don't see the need to get personal with anyone and if I can help people out, I will. I want to see this issue resolved for those like Harlequin who are having problems and I do hope he can get a refund.

the other way to fix it is to turn down your settings...........amazing isn't it:rolleyes:

I totaly agree with this, it is amazing that turning down the setting would kinda fix this but once again the problem remains that you're not getting what you paid for.

If i bought a car that was advertised "to do 70mpg" and when i started using it i found that as soon as i got up to speed say (50mph) and went into 5th gear (for example) the car suddenly went down to 30mpg.

Manufacturer has now said recently that the car is capable of doing up to 70mpg and that if you want to get 70mpg you have to stay in 4th under 50mph.

You see my point, if you buy a card(which i have) which was said to do this, that and the other but it doesnt, unless i turn down settings; you are NOT getting what YOU paid for.

I completely agree and if there is a serious underlying issue with the 970 he bought, I hope he can return it. I don't see the need to get personal with anyone and if I can help people out, I will. I want to see this issue resolved for those like Harlequin who are having problems and I do hope he can get a refund.

Nice to see genuine sinsear comments back in the thread

Just want to add im not having a go at Mal X! I've been reading around a few forums on this matter and a lot of people have said about turning down the settings.

And i think most people think like me that they shouldn't have to.

reinstalled tomb raider and ran it maxed out with 970 sli at 2560x1440 and whilst it did not stutter in any way i used afterburner to check ram and fps.

from the off the game flew along at 120 fps and 3.5 gb ram use with a few dips to 80 odd but after about 30 min i noticed strange dips as low as 50 fps.

does this seem right or does that look like its exceeding the 3.5gb

Last edited:
I totaly agree with this, it is amazing that turning down the setting would kinda fix this but once again the problem remains that you're not getting what you paid for.

If i bought a car that was advertised "to do 70mpg" and when i started using it i found that as soon as i got up to speed say (50mph) and went into 5th gear (for example) the car suddenly went down to 30mpg.

Manufacturer has now said recently that the car is capable of doing up to 70mpg and that if you want to get 70mpg you have to stay in 4th under 50mph.

You see my point, if you buy a card(which i have) which was said to do this, that and the other but it doesnt, unless i turn down settings; you are NOT getting what YOU paid for.

Actually, you are spot on here. Cars were advertised as doing "X" amount of mpg and nobody at all could get that but they do it on a test track that is geared to give the best and frankly unrealistic returns on fuel usage.

Not overly clued up on the outcome but didn't they get wrapped for it and told to change their advertising methods?

reinstalled tomb raider and ran it maxed out with 970 sli at 2560x1440 and whilst it did not stutter in any way i used afterburner to check ram and fps.

from the off the game flew along at 120 fps and 3.5 gb ram use with a few dips to 80 odd but after about 30 min i noticed srange dips as low as 50 fps.

does this seem right or does that look like its exceeding the 3.5gb

Without seeing it that sound like it's lacking GPU grunt , but I thought this was a game that was very well optimised

cheers fellas, will give AB a whirl later, not really measured how much VRAM my 970 G1 is using when in BF4 but to be fair I only game at 1920x1200 and havent noticed any stuttering or fps loss however I just advised a mate to get a 970 for his new shiny 1440p monitor and he says sometimes he suffers FPS loss, so i'll get it installed and see what the crack is. He is still running an older 3750k though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom