• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

970's having performance issues using 4GB Vram - Nvidia investigating

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
As a side note i assume instead of returning via post you can just turn up in person with an item and they have a returns counter in the shop? I live fairly close, well an hour away, but have friends there locally i wouldnt mind seeing, so can kill two birds with one stone and not be without a card!

Just sent a webnote asking the same thing. Yes, they have a returns counter in shop. From past experience they refund you for whatever it is you take back and then you buy something else or of course just keep the refund, they don't actually exchange anything, unless it's changed in the last 6 months or so.

Last edited:
Associate
I have been experiencing intermittent problem with my graphics card within a game where it totally locks up the PC forcing me to hit the reset button. I know 100% that it is the Graphics card causing this and I have a Inno 3D GTX 970, is this problem likely to be related?

Out of curiosity does your pc go into a black screen crash, the monitor give you 'no signal detected' and go into a sound loop?

If so I've had the same issue with a Galax card and OCUK returned it to me yesterday with 'no fault found'.

I think as soon as the did guy drops it off today I'll be putting it back into the post office for a refund.

Soldato
Nice testing. Not sure if I missed something?

No, I showed the most recent games and yes, in a lot of those games you are going to see a difference between running a intel CPU or an AMD CPU on a high end "Single" GPU.

Good call on leaving it there. This is certainly not a good place for this discussion and like I said, there is a lot of confused people already and this isn't helping.

Sorry I was confused, I thought you were looking at benchmarks for the 970's.

From those videos there is only 1 game recently that has reached the 3.5gb max. A few of them running 4K on 970 SLI don't even peak 3GB.

Also Crysis 3 is only using around 2.5/3GB.

From all the reading I've done over the last few days 4GB should see us through the rest of 2015 for 1080p and maybe even 1440p and 4K in some cases.

However 3.5GB + 512MB will not as soon as it needs to access that other 512MB we are going to see problems every single time.

Associate
Out of curiosity does your pc go into a black screen crash, the monitor give you 'no signal detected' and go into a sound loop?

If so I've had the same issue with a Galax card and OCUK returned it to me yesterday with 'no fault found'.

I think as soon as the did guy drops it off today I'll be putting it back into the post office for a refund.

No, i still have the image on screen and i can move the mouse but cant do anything. It's completely locked and the mouse cursor turns into a waiting graphic. Only possible way out is a reboot.

Thanks to everyone for there advice. My other rig is very old (i don't upgrade very often) so the power supply in that PC doesn't have enough power to run this card. Ill try swapping the card from that PC into my current rig and see how i get on with that. My assumption is that it will work fine as my onboard graphics card works fine although the game doesn't look very welcoming with onboard graphics.

Caporegime
Sorry I was confused, I thought you were looking at benchmarks for the 970's.

From those videos there is only 1 game recently that has reached the 3.5gb max. A few of them running 4K on 970 SLI don't even peak 3GB.

Also Crysis 3 is only using around 2.5/3GB.

From all the reading I've done over the last few days 4GB should see us through the rest of 2015 for 1080p and maybe even 1440p and 4K in some cases.

However 3.5GB + 512MB will not as soon as it needs to access that other 512MB we are going to see problems every single time.

Yer, I thought you might have quoted me wrong :D

Still good testing and I did watch a few of them to see what was what and all looked good to me (in the one's I did watch). No idea who is who at nVidia but Peter@nVidia has said they are going to move all the drivers onto the 512mb of slow ram and leave the other 3.5GB of VRAM to cope with the game. That makes good sense to me, as drivers do take up a fair chunk and you want textures using the 3.5GB and not drivers. This should help in those games that are calling on the extra 0.5GB.

Ohhh and nice channel...Subbed :)

Associate
Bought a 970, Inno herculez x4 for the wife and decided to wait it out for my upgrade. On the fence with this return issue. It would make no real world difference to her tbh to swap cards. Will never get near the limits of the 970 as is in her use.

Subbed anyway as interested to see how turns out.

Last edited:
Soldato
I have been experiencing intermittent problem with my graphics card within a game where it totally locks up the PC forcing me to hit the reset button. I know 100% that it is the Graphics card causing this and I have a Inno 3D GTX 970, is this problem likely to be related?

I originally had an Inno3D gtx 970 that had heat problems. It would easily reach 82C when playing games. I think about 80C is normal fo rthat card though.
Check your temperatures are not going much higher than that and also test a default clocks if you are overclocking. Usually a high overclock will lock up a game.

OcUK Staff
Hi there

Sorry for lack of updates this morning, being stuck in snow/traffic, 20 minute journey took nearly 2 hours.

I am expecting decisions today from both big brands and OcUK owners. :)

Associate
Hi there

Sorry for lack of updates this morning, being stuck in snow/traffic, 20 minute journey took nearly 2 hours.

I am expecting decisions today from both big brands and OcUK owners. :)

Hey Gibbo

I've posted in the CS forum and will be returning my Galax GTX970s and upgrading to KFA GTX980s. I know some people are going to probably say why give Nvidia more money but sadly I already have R9-290s and will need the cards to compare performance when doing benchmark articles. Im facing quite a few problems as I have mentioned before running over 3.5GB @ 4K. The cards perform exceptionally well but this is holding me back.

Anyways just to show support I will be buying off OCUK (only now), and I want to have first priority on 2X AMDs R9-3XX if possible :cool:

Soldato
Still good testing and I did watch a few of them to see what was what and all looked good to me (in the one's I did watch). No idea who is who at nVidia but Peter@nVidia has said they are going to move all the drivers onto the 512mb of slow ram and leave the other 3.5GB of VRAM to cope with the game. That makes good sense to me, as drivers do take up a fair chunk and you want textures using the 3.5GB and not drivers. This should help in those games that are calling on the extra 0.5GB.
And what's the latest on this? I could have sworn I read a quote from Nvidia on here saying they wouldn't be releasing a driver specifically addressing the 970, only general driver updates as you would expect anyway? I get the strong impression Nvidia are running to the hills from this now, what with edited posts on the Nvidia forums etc.

OcUK Staff
Hey Gibbo

I've posted in the CS forum and will be returning my Galax GTX970s and upgrading to KFA GTX980s. I know some people are going to probably say why give Nvidia more money but sadly I already have R9-290s and will need the cards to compare performance when doing benchmark articles. Im facing quite a few problems as I have mentioned before running over 3.5GB @ 4K. The cards perform exceptionally well but this is holding me back.

Anyways just to show support I will be buying off OCUK (only now), and I want to have first priority on 2X AMDs R9-3XX if possible :cool:

Thanks for the custom m8. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom