• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

970's having performance issues using 4GB Vram - Nvidia investigating

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
NVidia are definitely this months Pantomine villain. Even though I want to send my to G1's back I don't think Nvidia are worse than any other large corporation. They just got caught out. Apple, Samsung, Sony, Google, they have all had negative press. Remember, we are all here because of this problem, some people here do not even have 970's but are determined to fuel the fire. My reason for sending back is not because I am unhappy with the card, it's just not powering my Swift at its native res on some on the more intensive games. Problems I thought were caused by the game engine have now been tested and identified by others and myself to be this current issue. I have now bought a 980. Maybe Giga will come through, maybe Gibbo will, if not I will sell them elsewhere.

Caporegime
not sure if this has been linked?

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphi...ory-Performance/COD-Advanced-Warfare-and-Clos

PCPER FCAT results - showing , greater frame variance on the GTX 970

Good read cheers.

I spent nearly the entirety of two days testing the GeForce GTX 970 and trying to replicate some of the consumer complaints centered around the memory issue we discussed all week. I would say my results are more open ended than I expected. In both BF4 and in CoD: Advanced Warfare I was able to find performance settings that indicated the GTX 970 was more apt to stutter than the GTX 980. In both cases, the in-game settings were exceptionally high, going in the sub-25 FPS range and those just aren't realistic. A PC gamer isn't going to run at those frame rates on purpose and thus I can't quite convince myself to get upset about it.

Associate
I have been experiencing intermittent problem with my graphics card within a game where it totally locks up the PC forcing me to hit the reset button. I know 100% that it is the Graphics card causing this and I have a Inno 3D GTX 970, is this problem likely to be related?

Soldato
Sorry but that's completely wrong and you should research before posting such statements, as there is already enough confused people in here.

The top end AMD CPU gets beaten by an i3 occasionally, so saying an AMD CPU will be fine and the difference in gaming isn't that much is so wrong. You can save the money to buy a better GPU but you will be bottlenecking your new shiny GPU that you put the extra cash to.

For a budget GPU, an AMD CPU will do just fine but for a decent GPU, Intel all the way or suffer a bottleneck.

This is taking the thread off-topic somewhat, but...

Article on Tweaktown, suggesting the truth is probably somewhere in the middle. FX-8350 is still reasonable for SLI or Crossfire configs. You can see the games that are CPU-bound.

Associate
I have been experiencing intermittent problem with my graphics card within a game where it totally locks up the PC forcing me to hit the reset button. I know 100% that it is the Graphics card causing this and I have a Inno 3D GTX 970, is this problem likely to be related?

No its not a fault that's being discussed here..

its a feature that people assumed from Nvidia PR worked one way but in fact works differently and has an effect on performance is certain situation.

Soldato
Sorry but that's completely wrong and you should research before posting such statements, as there is already enough confused people in here.

The top end AMD CPU gets beaten by an i3 occasionally, so saying an AMD CPU will be fine and the difference in gaming isn't that much is so wrong. You can save the money to buy a better GPU but you will be bottlenecking your new shiny GPU that you put the extra cash to.

For a budget GPU, an AMD CPU will do just fine but for a decent GPU, Intel all the way or suffer a bottleneck.

I guess you also confused.. Here some links showing you that my point still stands they isn't enough in it that the avg gamer would notice.

Some results here show different story to what you shown.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/8316/...the-fx9590-and-asrock-990fx-extreme9-review/8

More games tested.
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...66-amd-fx-9590-review-piledriver-5ghz-15.html
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...66-amd-fx-9590-review-piledriver-5ghz-16.html

Incase you more confused.
http://www.kitguru.net/components/cpu/zardon/amd-fx9590-5ghz-review-w-gigabyte-990fxa-ud5/

Last edited:
Associate

I'd say its very unlikely that the issue's being discussed in this thread is the cause that problem.

If your positive its the GPU that's locking up the computer and you've tried the normal trouble shooting; reinstalled drivers, removed any overclock, ran a virus/malware scan etc then its probably time to look into returning the card.

Soldato
still going to get 970 as im tired of using spare 4870 for ages now, i doubt i will get in any issues at 1080p 120hz and anyway 970 probably will be short lived when 16nm will come out next year.

Associate
I'd say its very unlikely that the issue's being discussed in this thread is the cause that problem.

If your positive its the GPU that's locking up the computer and you've tried the normal trouble shooting; reinstalled drivers, removed any overclock, ran a virus/malware scan etc then its probably time to look into returning the card.

Thanks. Yeh i have done the usual, tried reinstalling drivers, tried different nvidia drivers, tried a complete reinstall of the OS, done malware scans and I know it's the GPU because my onboard GPU works fine. Will overclockers replace my card on this info or would i need to do more troubleshooting? I think the card has a factory built in overclock but i would not know where to start in underclocking it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom