• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

970's having performance issues using 4GB Vram - Nvidia investigating

Status
Not open for further replies.
has any of the OCUK staff responded in this thread?

I have just noticed this and to be honest It will take awhile to read through 63 pages of this to find out!
curious to see what they have said if they have

DON'T DO IT! Not unless you have an exceptionally good physiatrist on speed dial.

And no, there has been nothing from OCUK in this thread, I doubt there will be until they are sure on what their going to do next.

So you're saying that when a game\app try's to use the full 4GB there are no slow downs or problems?

"According to Nvidia’s own tests, this method of segmentation causes about a 25 percent loss in efficiency"

What does efficiency mean in this context? The words gets branded around a lot with little actual meaning.

Because ;
Furthermore, it only represents about a one to three percent drop in speeds from the 980 GTX running on the same configuration,

Read more: http://www.digitaltrends.com/comput...ry-instead-4-woops-says-nvidia/#ixzz3Q0n4z3WC
Follow us: @digitaltrends on Twitter | digitaltrendsftw on Facebook

Not sure how I feel about this subject, there's always things like this. The 290X clock speed, Dual-GPU's having X amount of VRAM, when it's mirrored etc.

I'm amazed it took so long to come out though.

Last edited:
So had a reply back from OCUK in terms of RMA'ing these mis-sold cards and I got someone who doesn't have a clue about the situation.

OCUK really need some clued up, better customer support staff.

Not true at all man, I suspect they're playing dumb, as my post above I called them and told them about the thread and having just checked my phone it was on Friday I called.

DON'T DO IT! Not unless you have an exceptionally good physiatrist on speed dial.

And no, there has been nothing from OCUK in this thread, I doubt there will be until they are sure on what their going to do next.

that's fair enough but even if they just did a reply to say that they are investigating the issue at least people would know they are looking in to it or trying to do something about it.

i play CSGO at the highest ress 3840 x 2160 and down scaled to 1080P. if i play for a short period then I have no issues after so long the game suddenly starts to stutter and then the fps drops loads to quickly sort it as if i am playing a match i cannot re start the game i put it down to 1920 by 1080 and then its fine.

i only read parts of this today and wasn't aware of this. would explain why doing this fixes the issue as it frees up the VRAM

why would they jump in say yes its fine to rma cards the amount of money they'd lose would be quite scarey.

probably just let this crap storm cool down. let the odd person who actually knows about the issue rma card which will be returned b graded.

imagine if gibbo jumped straight in at start of this people would have said why didn't you tell us this ? so actually staying quiet is the best option while everyone just vents in here instead of at ocuk.

i did wonder why nvidia were selling the 970 cheaper than i expected and thought to myself whats the catch, now i know. oh well these 970's will see me through at 1400p for a while.
when nvidia released the 9 series people wonderd if the there was anyway back for amd but i feel nvida has droped the ball and if amd have anything then now is the time to strike

To the people saying there're only a handful of games affected at resolutions lower than 4k: what happens in 12 or 18 months when there are 20 or 30 games affected? Games that people really want to play? Games that push as much data as they can into VRAM in order to perform better. So the cards might work now but there will be thousands of people who have yet to experience stuttering, yet might find it destroys next year's Big Game. What do they do when this has all blown over and the retailer and nvidia are trying to pretend it hasn't happened?

You do what you normally would when your card can't cope.

Turns some settings down,go sli/crossfire or get a better card :)

what did they say? i have had my card for a good few months now

Not true at all man, I suspect they're playing dumb, as my post above I called them and told them about the thread and having just checked my phone it was on Friday I called.

I touched upon the bandwidth is not accurate and the ROP count is also not accurate and I got told the card has 4Gb VRAM as advertised.

So they're either taking me for a moron or the guy who responded is a moron.

So you're saying that when a game\app try's to use the full 4GB there are no slow downs or problems?

"According to Nvidia’s own tests, this method of segmentation causes about a 25 percent loss in efficiency"

I'm saying I dont get the stuttery mess people are hissy fitting about. Which you'd know, since I've posted a video already.

And, a 25% loss in efficiency is taken in isolation. You should probably read the thread before telling others to do so.

that's fair enough but even if they just did a reply to say that they are investigating the issue at least people would know they are looking in to it or trying to do something about it.

i play CSGO at the highest ress 3840 x 2160 and down scaled to 1080P. if i play for a short period then I have no issues after so long the game suddenly starts to stutter and then the fps drops loads to quickly sort it as if i am playing a match i cannot re start the game i put it down to 1920 by 1080 and then its fine.

i only read parts of this today and would explain why doing this fixes the issue as it frees up the VRAM

yep that makes sense, and you wont see that in any reviews because they dont play games, they run short benchmarks
your problems might be totally unrelated but its tests like that they need to be doing when comparing it to other cards

Are we going to get loads of cheesy TV and Radio adverts gunning for people to claim against Nvidia or retailers?

"Were you mis-sold your GPU?"
"Has your card got less ROPS than you were led to believe?"

Then get in touch with GPUclaims4U.com now!

Seriously though, what is OCUK's stance on this? Are they going to lean on Nvidia to do something? Push board partners to pressure Nvidia to do something? Together they *probably* have a bit more weight behind them than various fragmented forum users and angry internet posts, and it would be nice for people to have the backing of these retailers, AIB and distribution partners etc... in the end, Nvidia lied to everyone about it, retailers and consumers alike

What if anyone wanted to return a 970 as they don't have the full spec they were listed as when they were purchased?

OCUK should do a full recall, refund everyone at current selling price, send all the cards back to Nvidia and charge them for the lot, plus expenses. Just to send a message to them, that this won't be tolerated.

I for one won't be buying an Nvidia card again. So that's both Gigabyte and Nvidia off my lists this month.

I just love the knee jerk reaction to this news its so laughable. Why not write to Watchdog also. What you are suggesting OCUK do is logistics wise ridiculous not forgetting the upfront cost OCUK would have to pay. In any case the cards are not Nvidia's they would have to go back to the manufacturers.

I AM VERY HAPPY WITH MY 970 SLI.

I've just spoke to a chap on the Customer Support line regarding a RMA I had on this card prior to this story breaking.

I took the opportunity to talk to him about this. He has said that OcUK (Senior buyer - sure we can guess who that is) is currently talking to nVidia regarding the situation and OcUK hope to have a communication out today for Customer who have purchased the GTX970.

So, they will respond.

Coming back to my RMA, it was raised a week after I bought the Card at Christmas, I was away form Christmas till now for Work, which was explained when I raised the RMA. OcUk, have just advised that they will still honor the RMA regardless of any negotiations with nVidia.

Great Service.

I've just spoke to a chap on the Customer Support line regarding a RMA I had on this card prior to this story breaking.

I took the opportunity to talk to him about this. He has said that OcUK (Senior buyer - sure we can guess who that is) is currently talking to nVidia regarding the situation and OcUK hope to have a communication out today for Customer who have purchased the GTX970.

So, they will respond.

Coming back to my RMA, it was raised a week after I bought the Card at Christmas, I was away form Christmas till now for Work, which was explained when I raised the RMA. OcUk, have just advised that they will still honor the RMA regardless of any negotiations with nVidia.

Great Service.

Hopefully Nvidia do the right thing and try and re-coup a little bit of the consumer respect they've lost over this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom