• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

9900KS...

Soldato
if avx offset is set to -3 at 1.3v as per reddit the 9900KS will be top 35%.

But Gibbo said they will be super rare and he only expected a few units for sale from OC UK. If it's top 35%, shouldn't there be quite a lot of stock going around?

Soldato
But Gibbo said they will be super rare and he only expected a few units for sale from OC UK. If it's top 35%, shouldn't there be quite a lot of stock going around?

need to wait until someone more experienced has a verified retail chip with release motherboard microcode and verified stock settings with LLC and AVX level stated. not long to wait.

Associate
What did you expect - it's a heavily binned chip - looks like only the top 1% of 9900k qualify as a 9900ks

Eh ? only 1% of 9900k qualify as a 9900ks , are we talking about the same ks which is just a k but with disabled gpu due to a die fault ?
To me only the k chips which have a die fault are ks chips ?

Soldato
Eh ? only 1% of 9900k qualify as a 9900ks , are we talking about the same ks which is just a k but with disabled gpu due to a die fault ?
To me only the k chips which have a die fault are ks chips ?

Thats KF not the KS

You've already been corrected in another thread. THe KF is the one with he disabled iGPU. The KS is a new binned chip. Keep up

Soldato
Is the KS the binned chip of the K chip or the one which says 5.0ghz all cores , which anyone said was pointless because the motherboard does it anyway ?.

stock settings, voltages and wattage approximate:

K = binned for two out of eight cores to boost to 5.0 at approx 1.075v, non-AVX, all core = 4.7GHZ (non-AVX) at 168W
KF = same as above without IGPU
KS = binned K part for eight out of eight cores to boost to 5.0 at approx 1.25v (expected), non-AVX, all core = 5.0GHZ (non-AVX) at 210W (expected).

5.0GHZ all core Binning statistics for K chips = 40% of chips OK at 1.3v, 60% failure rate with AVX offset of -2 (4.8GHZ).

This means that if you walk into OCUK and buy a 9900k you have a 40% chance of getting a 9900k chip that does what the 9900KS does by tweaking your motherboard settings.

You will however see a significant uptick on power draw and heat load in all scenarios regardless. You might get a chip that needs more than 1.3v (not good news) or, one that fails to run at 1.4v.

If Intel have, as stated on reddit, set the AVX offset to -3 or -4 for the KS then there will be some grumbling for sure.

If this is confirmed I would expect that the pre-binned 9900K/KF chips done by OCUK/Caseking and other providers will evaporate quickly.

Associate
If Intel have, as stated on reddit, set the AVX offset to -3 or -4 for the KS then there will be some grumbling for sure.

If this is confirmed I would expect that the pre-binned 9900K/KF chips done by OCUK/Caseking and other providers will evaporate quickly.

This is why I have said a few times for people to wait and see first.

As you know, hitting 5ghz isn’t the issue. It’s how you got there. Avx offset, power limits, boost duration, load voltage all matter. Seeing "5.0ghz" in cpu-z isn't the goal. It's making it run at that 24/7 without exception.

Until we get guys like Lummi, derbauer, buildzoid and others who have good Z390 experience giving us a few real world examples for comparison, I would just sit back and let it play out.

The more juicy leak is the 5.2ghz boost on the 10core next gen part.

Associate
stock settings, voltages and wattage approximate:

K = binned for two out of eight cores to boost to 5.0 at approx 1.075v, non-AVX, all core = 4.7GHZ (non-AVX) at 168W
KF = same as above without IGPU
KS = binned K part for eight out of eight cores to boost to 5.0 at approx 1.25v (expected), non-AVX, all core = 5.0GHZ (non-AVX) at 210W (expected).

5.0GHZ all core Binning statistics for K chips = 40% of chips OK at 1.3v, 60% failure rate with AVX offset of -2 (4.8GHZ).

This means that if you walk into OCUK and buy a 9900k you have a 40% chance of getting a 9900k chip that does what the 9900KS does by tweaking your motherboard settings.

You will however see a significant uptick on power draw and heat load in all scenarios regardless. You might get a chip that needs more than 1.3v (not good news) or, one that fails to run at 1.4v.

So does 100% of K chips run at 4.7 ghz all cores , 24 hour a day stable ?

Associate
assuming thermals are within spec and the chip can draw 210watts, yes, this is the stock all-core maximum boost speed.

I`m going to be using a https://www.overclockers.co.uk/cors...uid-cooler-360mm-cw-9060031-ww-hs-03l-cs.html for cooling to start with and move to a custom 2 x 360mm radiator loop when I can afford it.

Just looked at overclockers version of binning , What £720 for a 5.0ghz I9 9900k .
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/inte...e-socket-lga1151-processor-oem-cp-665-in.html

Last edited:
Soldato

yet another 9900ks doing 5.2ghz
and while they didn't try for higher, they had the temperature and voltage headroom with a custom loop to maybe push 5.3ghz as well.

Intel undersold these chips - 5ghz all core is conservative - makes it easier to cool though - slap AIO on it and call it day, no thermal throttling at all even heavy AVX loads.

Last edited:
Soldato
KS uses fair bit less power to get the job done thanks to it's binned quality

syupuk10.4y2.png

m5g0ftl1.ilv.png

Caporegime
I guess if you already have a 9900k this is mild upgrade, will still cost at least £200 to do so though assuming prices in the market and the assumed price this will release at ($600?).

Realistically, it's a double dip for people who can't hit this threshold with their 9900K (though some clearly could pre-binning, defo not after though) or aimed at upgraders that are still 2-6 "gens" behind.

Soldato
It took me a little while to realise that CL in the benchmarks signifies custom loop. Air cooled results are to follow.

Power draw sees an impressive drop of 48W versus the 9900K @ 5Ghz. Still a way off Ryzen of course.

Last edited:
Associate
I guess if you already have a 9900k this is mild upgrade, will still cost at least £200 to do so though assuming prices in the market and the assumed price this will release at ($600?).

Realistically, it's a double dip for people who can't hit this threshold with their 9900K (though some clearly could pre-binning, defo not after though) or aimed at upgraders that are still 2-6 "gens" behind.

2 to 6 generations behind ? , the I9 9900K and KS are gen 9s and I`m still on a I7 2600k which I believe is gen 2 , So that should be 2 to 7 gens behind ?.

Back
Top Bottom