A 5.1 separates system better than Sonos

Yes. But Sonos is simple, smaller, and more wife friendly. I went from a high end 5.1 system (Monitor Audio Golds etc) to Sonos Arc, Sub, Play 1 surrounds and I don't miss the old system at all.

I went the opposite way, and the difference is significant enough for me to deal with the hassle. Also less issues with sound sync than I did a sound bar which is nice.

I use local media rather than streamed stuff, which does make a difference.

With that said if I had kids, and didn't have a room for it then id be very happy with a decent sound bar.

Last edited:
I went the opposite way, and the difference is significant enough for me to deal with the hassle. Also less issues with sound sync than I did a sound bar which is nice.

I use local media rather than streamed stuff, which does make a difference.

With that said if I had kids, and didn't have a room for it then id be very happy with a decent sound bar.

You also have options to change components, add extra speakers, subwoofer, avr as and when needed, or replace easily enough if one or more component goes fault, and replace with standard AV components. Something with a soundbar you cannot do.

Yes. But Sonos is simple, smaller, and more wife friendly. I went from a high end 5.1 system (Monitor Audio Golds etc) to Sonos Arc, Sub, Play 1 surrounds and I don't miss the old system at all.
Interesting, is there anything you miss from the old system? For me, this is going in a dedicated room so can be a bit more flexible with speakers.

The 1800 I bought just went on offer, £400.

Quite the bargain, unless you need the extra stuff from the higher end models.

Interesting, is there anything you miss from the old system? For me, this is going in a dedicated room so can be a bit more flexible with speakers.

Even if you buy smaller/cheaper AVR/speakers, you still have advantage of stereo seperation. Soundbars aren't 3m wide so they have to use reflection/DSP to fake wider dispersion.

Get separates, if you've got some money and want better sound quality, build, upgradability, proper atmospheric surround sound etc.

Maybe 1/100 times when I watch a film and I’m by myself in the house. For everything else I much prefer the more simplistic setup.

I still have the Monitor Audio gold floor standers in the kitchen still for proper hifi listening, but for TV watching Sonos more than meets our expectations.

I used to chop and change AV receivers and mess with the setup. Now I just do true play once through the app and everyone can enjoy.

Even if you buy smaller/cheaper AVR/speakers, you still have advantage of stereo seperation. Soundbars aren't 3m wide so they have to use reflection/DSP to fake wider dispersion.

Get separates, if you've got some money and want better sound quality, build, upgradability, proper atmospheric surround sound etc.
Most AV amps are pants for proper stereo listening.

Most AV amps are pants for proper stereo listening.

Still better than soundbar.

No need to change receivers all the time just to chase latest features. I went from a non HDMI av processor to one with HDMI 2.0, so large gap in generations. Kept some of my speakers and amps, upgrading those as I went along.

Best for OP to go and have a demo of a few brands of avr/speakers/sub.

You didn't mention what room size?

No need to change receivers all the time just to chase latest features. I went from a non HDMI av processor to one with HDMI 2.0, so large gap in generations. Kept some of my speakers and amps, upgrading those as I went along.

I bought a Beam 5 years ago and added a sub 6 months ago :D

No one asked me what room size. Your setup is also completely made up, you've never posted it when asked, and the one time you did it was a picture of someone else's. :cry:

Clearly subjective as pretty much every review I've read disagrees.

You like your separates, we get that, but don't make sweeping comments on other equipment you've never listened to.

A subwoofer that has 6" or 8" woofers, in a small cabinet isn't going to be amazing. For £800? Totally overpriced. It's also made of plastic? :-/

Also you have to match sub to that brand, you can't add non sonos sub to sonos soundbar. If I were to buy a soundbar it would be Sennheiser, the model with RCA pre out.

OP go and have a listen to a couple of £2000 5.1 systems.

A subwoofer that has 6" or 8" woofers, in a small cabinet isn't going to be amazing. For £800? Totally overpriced. It's also made of plastic? :-/

Also you have to match sub to that brand, you can't add non sonos sub to sonos soundbar. If I were to buy a soundbar it would be Sennheiser, the model with RCA pre out.

OP go and have a listen to a couple of £2000 5.1 systems.
As I suspected, you haven't listened to one. You are convinced bigger = better, and you post made up drivel in the home cinema thread and frequently get called out on it. And here you are again.

Have you actually listened to a Sonos system?

Do you have an actual AV system, or do you just pretend you have one?

I have had both (and a high end AV separates system at that), and I posted my opinion. I don't go commenting on threads with people who have the latest AMD CPUs and tell them to buy Intel, as I don't have any recent experience of AMD CPUs.

Have you actually listened to a Sonos system?

Do you have an actual AV system, or do you just pretend you have one?

I have had both (and a high end AV separates system at that), and I posted my opinion. I don't go commenting on threads with people who have the latest AMD CPUs and tell them to buy Intel, as I don't have any recent experience of AMD CPUs.

I have a 9.4.4 av pre power system. I'm not going to post pictures of it. It's not required. Even my smallest cheapest sub is way better than that Sonos sub.

OP asked for seperates, and you're whining I'm giving advice and recommendations and trying to say get a soundbar instead. And you're now trolling.

OP ignore that guy.

Go and have a demo of £2000 5.1 system, as you asked for.

Back
Top Bottom