A 5.1 separates system better than Sonos

Do you have any numbers for that sonos sub?

Why are you bothering trolling this thread when someone wants a proper system? The Sonos is a lifestyle sub. Expensive, small, small drivers, under performing, and not a standard subwoofer. It's designed for Sonos gear.

Here is specs for my cheapest sub smallest sub.

Good luck with the Sonos matching that. Oh it was WAY cheaper than the Sonos sub

Last edited:

Why are you bothering trolling this thread when someone wants a proper system? The Sonos is a lifestyle sub. Expensive, small, small drivers, under performing, and not a standard subwoofer. It's designed for Sonos gear.

Good luck with the Sonos matching that. Oh it was WAY cheaper than the Sonos sub
If anyone is trolling, you are, just like you troll the post your hifi gear thread. I can only assume you haven't been banned due to the pure comedy you bring.

You've never listened to a Sonos system, yet you continuously slate the system.

You have a made up AV system you have never posted a picture of, and continuously belittle anyone without kit which meets your elevated and made up standards.

OP asked about opinions of AV setup vs Sonos, of which I have experience with, and I posted my opinion based on my own experience. That for 99% of our use case, Sonos is more than good enough, but given the opportunity we would have an AV operates system again.

Didn't answer the question I see. Post specs of each of the Sonos subs like the above.
I don't care about numbers, I care about how things sound and if they fit my lifestyle.

You repeatedly dodge questions. :cry: Give up man, you get called out all of the time and retreat into your living room which must look like Stonehenge with your made up speakers, then eventually start trolling in another thread. It's tiring.

Found this

Poor <31hz performance.

Hey, I’m considering a full on Sonos home theatre setup, Arc, Sub and 2 x Sonos Era 300. This should cost around £2300.

I’m not that bothered about Atmos, is it possible to build a separates 5.1 for the money? What kit would you use?

Just keep in mind that 5.1 systems have been around for over 30 years now and the technology behind how amplifiers and speakers work hasn't really changed.

There are old speakers that are considered legendary that still sell for high amounts but consider this, the stuff that was modestly priced mid-range stuff previously can be bargain basement prices on gumtree, ebay or local classified ads now! Not only could you easily get something for £2300 but you could get something for a fraction of that budget!

It looks like there has been a bit of an increase since last time I checked but it used to be the case that a NAD or Arcam 2-channel stereo amp could be had for about £30 - £50 for example. Older AV receivers don't need to cost much if you only want 5.1.

Ditto to speakers - just look at an older edition of the current speakers everyone is raving about, they were probably great too and are now bargains.

Essentially yes you can easily have high-quality AV sound for bargain prices if you're not fussed about the latest formats/encoding (and even more so re: 2 channel stereo playback of music) - the reasons to have a Sonos setup is more about functionality (inc multi-room setup), ease of use, aesthetics etc. Will the missus object to some 90s or early 00s hi-fi gear in the living room vs a more discrete sound bar + modern/stylish speakers that also connect to wifi and allow for her to play music directly from her phone etc? And have that music playing in the lounge and the kitchen at the same time? If you're talking standalone system in a separate AV room then perhaps not an issue.

If you want proper stereo listening and separation, don't get an AV amp. If you want something that's good for watching TV etc, get whatever works.

Technically, it depends on the AV amp but there often is an option to use it as a pre-amp and just pass through to a 2-channel amp.

Last edited:
Technically, it depends on the AV amp but there often is an option to use it as a pre-amp and just pass through to a 2-channel amp.
Yup, this is what we did, passed the L/R channels through to a Roksan setup powering the Gold floor standers.

It is odd behaviour that you go out of your way to post a picture of that, yet you can't post a picture of your system.

Back
Top Bottom