A 5.1 separates system better than Sonos

OP - You could also look into the Sony Bravia quads if you didn't want to run wires. Just another option to consider. I recently bought the system and did demo some 5.1 systems around the same budget and actually found the quads to be more immersive.

If you want proper stereo listening and separation, don't get an AV amp. If you want something that's good for watching TV etc, get whatever works.

Totally agree with this, if you want stereo then get a good 2 channel system.

2 channel systems can also work well for movies / films, I connect a HTPC into a Yamaha A-S1200 and Fyne Audio F502 it's great for movies, and there is plenty of lower end bass without any sub. There is also some dimension and space in the sound, it's possible even with 2.0.

Last edited:
FYI he DM'ed me a link to his sub that is better and cheaper than my Sonos sub.

Spoiler - it wasn't cheaper.
To be fair, he didn't say it was cheaper, he said it was his cheapest.

There's a lot of hyperbole being thrown around both ways here.

Sonos will be simpler to setup, but a properly setup eARC receiver is very easy to use. I don't have to touch my receiver when using my TV / blu ray player, it all just works. I could.use voice control as well if I wanted.

I've not had Sonos myself but family members really like theres, and the sound quality is decent imo.
That said, for a dedicated room, you can get a better experience for the same or less money with separates.
There's some bargains to be had with second hand speakers which don't change all that much year to year.

I also wouldn't count out Atmos for a dedicated room (even if you don't install to begin with). I've got a 5.1.4 setup and the Atmos adds an extra dimension in well mastered films.

Definitely worth trying to get a few demos if you are not convinced though.

I wouldn't pay £2.3k for any soundbar setup to be honest. You can often get Samsung's latest flagship soundbar system for around £700 every year once the offers start.

Of course, you can get more out of a separate system for the same money, but I wouldn't bother again unless I had a dedicated room.

Back
Top Bottom