A return to form: Say hello to Banana MK2, the Italian Prancing Horse (Ferrari 458 Italia)

Soldato
I bet you have to breath in when getting in/out in that garage:D. Do you put the windows down to make access easier. I remember when I had my 911 in the garage for the one and only time and it was tight, not helped by doors being long due to being 3 door.

OcUK Staff
OP
I bet you have to breath in when getting in/out in that garage:D. Do you put the windows down to make access easier. I remember when I had my 911 in the garage for the one and only time and it was tight, not helped by doors being long due to being 3 door.

It would be very tight but when I had the new doors put on we also cut a huge hole in the side of garage and fitted a big barn door which lines up with the car door so I can fully open the drivers door for easy access and though it’s tight I can walk all way around car and there is plenty of room at front and rear. Main thing is it fits and it’s dry and warm in there as my mate has fully insulated it for us. :)

dr1.jpg

Had the hole cut and door fitted where my drivers door is, so I can fully open the drivers door for easy access, makes life a lot easier.

Last edited:
Caporegime

Pretty much the same with all garages in most homes. Built for cars from the 1970's. When the missus goes back after maternity I am looking to get our garage widened and lengthened. At the moment I rely on foam and carpet to make sure i do not damage the doors! Even still it keeps the car nice and warm during the winter months!

OcUK Staff
OP
Pretty much the same with all garages in most homes. Built for cars from the 1970's. When the missus goes back after maternity I am looking to get our garage widened and lengthened. At the moment I rely on foam and carpet to make sure i do not damage the doors! Even still it keeps the car nice and warm during the winter months!

I’ve literally just added foam padding to where the side door hinges as the mirror will touch the wall with door fully opened if I’m careless so attached some foam padding to wall just in case. :)

The the little 500 however looks rather small in the garage as it is pretty much the size of a 1970's car, albeit bigger than a small car from that time:

dr3.jpg

dr2.jpg

That fits with ease, previous owner was parking a 4x4 in there also, its just the Ferrari is very wide, but agreed most the houses we looked at with single garages would have never fitted the car in width wise and many were also too short as well, seems a lot of modern houses with garages are intended for storage only and not a car it seems as even some modern built houses we looked at the garages were too small. :(

Soldato
seems a lot of modern houses with garages are intended for storage only and not a car it seems as even some modern built houses we looked at the garages were too small. :(
This is very much true and one reason we chose the house we did when we moved last year and the garage is almost 6m wide with two full width single doors. It's wide enough to get two cars in comfortably (and even some room for storage too!).
We've now got the wife's 2nd car in there, so things are a bit more cramped, but I've also got a lot more storage space in there since this was taken:
IMG_3449.JPG

Despite this, most of the people around where we live now don't put a car in the garage but everyone parks on the driveways instead.

If you want some flooring for the garage I'd recommend Swisstrax Ribtrax. Would cost about ~£600 for that size garage I'd think, but it's worth every penny - really top quality stuff.

Soldato
@Havana_UK care to share your feedback on this swisstrax flooring? I've been looking at options, this looks interesting?

I finally got the Cayman into the garage before winter, although it took weeks of getting rid of crap and stuff the wife was 'storing'. It's a modern single garage, but we've managed to get the car, electric mountain bikes, pram and a few other odds in there, while still being able to walk around the car.

It's disgusting what passes for a modern garage these days. I recently decided that to get the garage I wanted, to store up to four modern sized cars, bikes, garden stuff and a work bench, I'm going to have to build it. However, once I'd looked at property that had the space to accommodate this type of garage, I realised it would be cheaper to build the house too. I have a bit of land in the countryside, so that's the plan now.

Soldato
@Havana_UK care to share your feedback on this swisstrax flooring? I've been looking at options, this looks interesting?
Absolutely top quality, very robust (you can jack directly off it), strong enough to drive a truck over it, goes down super quick: with the completely clear double garage I did the whole lot, start to finish, including cuts along all the walls which took longer than the bulk of the floor in about 8 hours. That's probably 2 hours to put the main lot down, and 6 hours faffing around the outsides, measuring and cutting with a hand saw. If you had a tile chopper and an extra pair of hands you could probably reduce that to 4 hours total start to finish I'd think.

It's expensive, but it should last forever frankly, at least with this usage scenario and it looks great. Total cost for my double garage was ~£1350 including delivery. There's only one distributor for it in the UK, a company called Gala Tent, but they were very good as well. I would buy it again, but then I'm unlikely to because if we ever move house again I'll just take it up and take it with me!

There are definitely cheaper options out there, but I doubt there are better quality ones. As long as you can stomach the cost I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

Caporegime
This is very much true and one reason we chose the house we did when we moved last year and the garage is almost 6m wide with two full width single doors. It's wide enough to get two cars in comfortably (and even some room for storage too!).
We've now got the wife's 2nd car in there, so things are a bit more cramped, but I've also got a lot more storage space in there since this was taken:
IMG_3449.JPG

Despite this, most of the people around where we live now don't put a car in the garage but everyone parks on the driveways instead.

If you want some flooring for the garage I'd recommend Swisstrax Ribtrax. Would cost about ~£600 for that size garage I'd think, but it's worth every penny - really top quality stuff.

Super jealous of your garage! Had mine specced up to lengthen and widen to a super large single but a second child put an end to that as I have to pay the missus wages for 6 months now!

I guess for now I just got to put up with nosey neighbors while tinkering!

OcUK Staff
OP
Nice one mate!! @Gibbo I see you also found a good spot for that wreath!!! :D

Yes thanks buddy, goes perfect there, hoping by end of January most of house shall be done so you will have come round. :)

IMG_3449.JPG

I do like that flooring, got a few jobs planned but waiting for warmer months, for now just wanted to get the car in and away from the elements.

Next job is to get the MOT done on Ferrari, just undecided on do I book it in with Ferrari Manchester and build a relationship with those guys, or take it back to Dick Lovett in Swindon who have being nothing short of amazing, only issue is it a couple hundred mile round trip compared to about 30-40 miles.

Back
Top Bottom