A send off... 2 weeks in Europe

Soldato
Morning guys,

I've got the time booked off, I want to book my ferries today...

Before I sell the Multistrada, I'm going to tour Europe on it for 2 weeks. Now I've got it back, I forgot how much I love it. It's the perfect bike :p

Anyway, I was intending on coming in to Le Harve from Portsmouth and then pretty much sticking to the west coast all the way down to the top of Spain. Then going over to Barcelona. Then roughtly heading up through Italy, Germany, Switzerland, The Netherlands and Belgium. Before returning from Calais on the channel tunnel.

Here is a rough route... Google maps

I'm looking for as much input and advice as possible. I've only done a few small trips to the EU. Nothing of this scale.

I will be taking camping gear and would prefer to camp most nights to keep bills down. I would obviously prefer hostels in the cities. Also, maybe 2 or 3 break days. I'm thinking the weekend somewhere in the middle. Not sure where though...

I'm going to be avoiding motorways 90% of the time. The blast down south will most likely be Motorways as France is flat... Very flat... So getting the start out of the way will be handy. Google maps won't allow me to do such a plan without manually putting in all the roads by hand.

So yea, anyone got any tips or advice for me? I'm going solo... Also, gear... Suggestions? I was thinking kevlar jeans (with armour) and a nice touring jacket. My current stuff is ok, but mainly for commuting. And I'm not wearing my leather gimp suit on a sports tourer lol.

Oh, due to length of trip, max mileage a day would be 350... Average would ideally be about 250/300. Mostly leaving around 0900 in the morning on most days. It's a riding experience, not visiting places so don't worry about walking around places taking in culture. I'm there to ride! Max amount of miles I would like to do is 3,000 in total.

Thanks!

EDIT: Kit... I'm thinking this as my current stuff is simply TOO hot... Even with the liner removed.

http://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_rev/76321 - Jacket
http://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/120817 - Jeans

I don't need knee sliders simply because the big red dog is a bit of a beast to crank over that much, footpegs normally hit before the edge of the tyre. I will be wearing boots and gloves as normal...

Last edited:
Soldato
Mesh trousers are much cooler than jeans - it's like riding in shorts and lovely when the temps get towards 30 degrees. Remember to take waterproofs - I'd recommend an all in one.

Lots of towns have municipal camp sites which are useful if you want to be walking distance to town but still camping. Personally I'd mix it with a few days b&b. I don't usually book in advance - just head to the nearest tourist information and ask them to find you a room (assuming you have sat nav)

Take a paper map as a backup / route planner

Associate
I've just come back from a 9 day, 2500 mile trip of Europe. All I can say is...

Water proofs!!

It was no fun trying to dry out my gear in a hotel with a hair drier each night, I packed light as I was told traditionally that Italy, Switzerland and Austria in July are seriously hot. So all I took was a spare pair of waterproof gloves and all in one over suit. Gloves leaked, boots leaked, all in one started to give up, it was horrible.

I can't imagine where you are going to will be wet, but..

If I could plan again knowing the weather I wouldn't have worn my leathers, definitely would've gone in textiles. But we can't predict the weather, it's always a trade off with biking I guess!

Other than that it's satnav, small tool roll for minor repairs (gaffer tape/cable ties), puncture repair kit + mini compressor OR 'Puncture Proof' tyre sealant (brilliant stuff). Spare phone and Spare keys/alarm fob. Toilet roll re-rolled around a bicpen and wetwipes (you'll thank me later). Inform insurers. European breakdown cover WITH repatriation. Resealable freezer/sarnie bags just incase it rains and stuff leaks, for wallet, phone, passport/paperwork.

I also took a few washing tabs, to wash my base layers every 2/3 days depending on the heat, only ended up washing them once. Depends how much space you want to save when it comes to clothing/underwear etc. Can save a bit of room if you plan to wash them on the road, so to speak.

This is what I did, seems like overkill, but venturing out on your own you got to cover all bases :D

Soldato
OP
Aces, awesome advice, I got a pair of trusty waterproof overalls and the jacket has it's own as well, so doubled up if worst comes to worst. My boots are goretex sidi ones, waterproof. As are my gloves, Alpinestars 365's, gotetex and waterproof.

So, other than that, can I ask, how did you plan the route? Did you simply have one large journey planned in your satnav and simply pull over when you'd had enough? I can't seem to find an efficient way of setting up 'trips' under an itinerary. So a destination each day, some days with specific routes.

I'm using Tyre software with my TomTom Rider v5

Kit wise, I bought the stuff I linked above, jeans and jacket. My current textiles are for winter, too hot and bulky. My leathers... Well I'm going on a sports tourer, it would look stupid.

I have a lot of storage space, a lot... So I don't really have much to worry about there. Still in 2 minds about taking the top box or no as I already have 2 panniers to fill up.

The main point of the top box is when I pull over I can plant my helmet in it and walk around as normal in my jeans (linked above) and boots.

Soldato
If I was riding just by myself, I'd create an itinery in Tomtom and then just stop when I felt like it, as getting a room for one, or camping, is easy. An ITN file gives the best of both worlds as you can get distance to next stop etc, whereas one big route is difficult to hold in context.

As it is, the last few years I've been travelling with my teenage kids, and my daughter in particular means planning in advance, so I've booked accommodation and set up separate files for day 1, day 2 etc.

If you're on your own though, don't rely too much on sat nav - some of the best roads are found with no planning...I sometimes just use the compass view and head in the general direction of my destination, picking roads that look interesting, then switch to map view only when you get close and need to find the destination

Associate
http://www.bestbikingroads.com/

Basically plotted main routes (Motorways/Peage/Autobahn) to places we were going and mixed them up with the well documented routes from the website above.

Don't know easiest way using Tomtom as I use Garmin and basecamp.

Oh and I would take the top box, I was on my GSXR so was trying to pack as light as poss (using Kriega US tail packs). The other guys were on Pan European and Triumph Tiger with top and side boxes. Definitely a better choice for touring with.

Soldato
The main point of the top box is when I pull over I can plant my helmet in it and walk around as normal in my jeans (linked above) and boots.

Was going to do the same thing. Last year I had a topbox, kreiger tailbag and tankbag. I just left cheap stuff in the tailbag and took the tank bag with me. This year it's hard panniers that should take everything important. Then I can have an empty topbox just for helmet and jacket when getting off the bike.

It's annoying carrying around a helmet and jacket in the heat if you want to properly stretch your legs.

Last year we never planned any stops, just turned up at campsites on the way. The only thing I'd say is watch out for campsites with any slow running water around. The mossies can do some serious damage if you don't watch out for them and are all over the alps.

Man of Honour
Do not most bikes have a metal hook underneath the pillion seat?

This where I attach my helmet (via Double D ring) when out and about.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for all the responses guys. I will plan the route then with way points. The TomTom might be smart enough to put them in as such and then I can see distance until the next stop. Also, the compass idea sounds good!

Top box and panniers it is then. The tent, sleeping bag and mat can sit in front of the top box on the pillion seat using bungee cords.

Exciting stuff!

Associate
Switzerland and Austria require separate vignettes, the Swiss one is more expensive but lasts for a whole year, around £30 (33 euros). The Austrian one you have to specify dates, for one week it cost me just under £5 (4.90 euros). It's not critical to buy them before you leave, as you can buy them on entering the country, e.g. in petrol stations.

Soldato
Oh man, I am so jealous! Havent been away in ages. We did northern spain last trip, which was great.

Most of the bases have already been covered by the guys above, but......

Dont forget spare bulbs! :D

I find a neckerchief comes in handy too. It was October when we did Spain and the mornings were -7 degrees! We were literally skating around the hairpins :eek:

Summer textiles should be more than adequate, just take some water proofs, but I would recommend squeezing in a pair of waterproof boots if you have the room.

Whatever clothing you put out to take, you wont use it!! Just take a quarter and get some hand washing liquid and wash things as needed.

You can never have too many bungees!! (or as someone mentioned cable ties and gaffer tape).

A torch can be helpful, as well as a pen knife if you are really going to rough it, as well as a fire lighting tool. Spare bottled water and some jubilee clips in case you have any unwanted hose pops.

Lots of money for stickers! Rule of thumb is your panniers need stickers! :D

It is probably the really obvious stuff that you will forget like a first aid kit, bog roll (or wet wipes) and insect repellent. Also make sure your insurer knows you are going abroad.

Probably not too essential for Europe or if you are good with languages, but phrase books can be helpful, although considering the various countries it might be impractical. When we did spain we found some out of the way places to stop for coffee and they seemed to appreciate we were making an effort to speak Spanish. We just felt less ignorant too.

Regarding mileage, 350 is a lot in one day. Sure it is not to bad the first couple of times, but big miles day after day really takes it out of you and you will probably find you enjoy the ride less. I would recommend lower miles per day personally. You dont want it to simply be a grind from one place to the next.

Soldato
OP
350 is absolute max. The only time I'll be doing that is the motorway run down to southern France to the Spanish border. 2 long trip days. From there, I have 13 days to do the alps, Germany's black forest and the Netherlands. With a day or 2 resting here and there.

I have yet to understand the scale of the trip, it's only 2 weeks sure... But I can imagine it will become a bit of a hardship at some point. But having backpacked around pretty much the entire world, I reckon I'll be alright :D

After the first couple of days getting the flat lands of mid France out of the way, I will expect to do 250, maybe as low as 200 a day accross the alps. I've worked out the Alps could take me 5 days... If I'm taking it easy and generally having shorter more relaxed days. Which, if I'm honest, I'd rather do as I don't want to risk losing concentration on those roads!

I'm going off of this route for the Alps: http://www.bestbikingroads.com/moto...alpes-cote-d-azur-/alpen-master-_22e8284.html

And then this for the Black Forest, however, I've noticed the end of the Alps route and start of the blackforest are pretty far apart. If I can't get from one to the other in less than a day, I might have to kick the bucket on this black forest route: http://www.bestbikingroads.com/moto...wurttemberg-/b500--baden-baden--_25254c1.html

I do have a question about camping, is it easy to pitch up anywhere? Or will it be easier just searching for a campsite? Generally, I expect to be pitched up by 7pm latest and gone by 9am in the morning. I'm going to put together the Alps Master route and a Black Forest route tonight. I think doing both might require more time than I have as I'd like to spend a day or 2 in Amsterdam and also some time at the Nurbergring.

Oh, as for stickers, not an option :p I'm selling the bike when I get back. Hence the send off.

Last edited:
Soldato
You could always buy the stickers and keep them as a memento? Perhaps stick em on your fridge?? :D

Camping wise, you will probably not be roughing it like if you were meandering across Mongolia, so I would just do some searches for places that have pitches available. Loads of parks and camping/caravan sites you can go to. You may even be able to download point of interest markers for your satnav that contains all the camping sites available. Usually you can just roll up and pay the fee and get a pitch. But I guess it depends on how busy they are. You can also find some really reasonable B&B's too. I know you want to keep costs down, but trust me your bum will be glad of a soft bed every now and again! :D

Physically, camping plus hours in the saddle can be hard work particulalry if you are really having to ride your bike on technical roads. The mental tiredness sets in too. But you sound like you are already pretty fit so you should be OK. But in case you do start to chafe, I would take something to help. People use all sorts. Plasters, vaselene, sanitary towels - all kinds of stuff! Obviously it depends on if you are using a backpack as well as panniers and how well your boots are worn in etc.

By the way, which era Mutlistrada are you on? I have heard the new ones are epic, but you need a mortgage to buy one! :(

Soldato
Camping in the alps is really easy, pretty much anything bigger than a village will have 2-5 campsites in it. I'm hoping it's the same in the Pyrenees. If you're around more built up areas or faster roads then there's usually BnB's you can use, some are just pay by creditcard on arrival with no staff. Always nice to get a soft bed every few days :p

Soldato
OP
You could always buy the stickers and keep them as a memento? Perhaps stick em on your fridge?? :D

Camping wise, you will probably not be roughing it like if you were meandering across Mongolia, so I would just do some searches for places that have pitches available. Loads of parks and camping/caravan sites you can go to. You may even be able to download point of interest markers for your satnav that contains all the camping sites available. Usually you can just roll up and pay the fee and get a pitch. But I guess it depends on how busy they are. You can also find some really reasonable B&B's too. I know you want to keep costs down, but trust me your bum will be glad of a soft bed every now and again! :D

Physically, camping plus hours in the saddle can be hard work particulalry if you are really having to ride your bike on technical roads. The mental tiredness sets in too. But you sound like you are already pretty fit so you should be OK. But in case you do start to chafe, I would take something to help. People use all sorts. Plasters, vaselene, sanitary towels - all kinds of stuff! Obviously it depends on if you are using a backpack as well as panniers and how well your boots are worn in etc.

By the way, which era Mutlistrada are you on? I have heard the new ones are epic, but you need a mortgage to buy one! :(

I'm on a 2011 one mate, 1200S. It did cost me an arm and a leg, and I'm having to choose between that and a 3ltr BMW M sport... Both vehicles are costing me more than I would pay for a 2 bed flat to rent in Reading per month...

So, the bike is going. And is the car, and then me, to work in Boston, US :)

Thanks for the tips, I have sort of acquired a tonne of bits and bobs from backpacking, all sorts of silly stuff. First aid kit with needles and such, sewing kit, playing cards (the best item to take traveling anywhere, got me friendly with some guys on the streets of Mumbai!) etc etc.

I think my biggest concern as it stands is navigation. I've learnt the TomTom just isn't going to cut it for these long, pre planned waypoint trips. It simply won't support them. So I'm selling that to get a Zumo 660.

And as much as I like to plan things. I think having every single road laid out on my Sat Nav will be silly, so I want to wing half of it.

I'm going to cut Spain for sure, in total, it saves me 3 days. That's 3 days elsehwhere that I can rest in and the likes.

EDIT: just totalled up a rough route... It's just tipped over 3,000 miles!!! Going to have to cut something out... I've got 2 rest days, one after the alps route (which is 4 days solid). And then another 4 days later in Amsterdam. By rest day, I mean as in arrive the night before, drive away the morning after. So an entire day of nothing.

I'm thinking I could cut out the need to do the Black Forest... But I'm told this is an EPIC place to go.

I might go for a ride on the day in Amsterdam as there is a town just south that I have some buddies in, 30 miles or so... A cake walk lol.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom