A send off... 2 weeks in Europe

Soldato
I'm on a 2011 one mate, 1200S. It did cost me an arm and a leg, and I'm having to choose between that and a 3ltr BMW M sport... Both vehicles are costing me more than I would pay for a 2 bed flat to rent in Reading per month...

So, the bike is going. And is the car, and then me, to work in Boston, US :)

Thanks for the tips, I have sort of acquired a tonne of bits and bobs from backpacking, all sorts of silly stuff. First aid kit with needles and such, sewing kit, playing cards (the best item to take traveling anywhere, got me friendly with some guys on the streets of Mumbai!) etc etc.

I think my biggest concern as it stands is navigation. I've learnt the TomTom just isn't going to cut it for these long, pre planned waypoint trips. It simply won't support them. So I'm selling that to get a Zumo 660.

And as much as I like to plan things. I think having every single road laid out on my Sat Nav will be silly, so I want to wing half of it.

I'm going to cut Spain for sure, in total, it saves me 3 days. That's 3 days elsehwhere that I can rest in and the likes.

EDIT: just totalled up a rough route... It's just tipped over 3,000 miles!!! Going to have to cut something out... I've got 2 rest days, one after the alps route (which is 4 days solid). And then another 4 days later in Amsterdam. By rest day, I mean as in arrive the night before, drive away the morning after. So an entire day of nothing.

I'm thinking I could cut out the need to do the Black Forest... But I'm told this is an EPIC place to go.

I might go for a ride on the day in Amsterdam as there is a town just south that I have some buddies in, 30 miles or so... A cake walk lol.

Nice bike!

The Black Forest is worth it if you can make it.

Re sat nav, as already suggested, put in your final destination but just head on any road that looks like fun. The best rides can be where you dont't really know where you are going! Just try and head in the genral direction. Also if you have a feature to select scenic route, or minimise motorways etc that can help too.

Be careful in Amsterdam, the cyclists are mental and pretty much have right of way everywhere! :eek:

Soldato
I think my biggest concern as it stands is navigation. I've learnt the TomTom just isn't going to cut it for these long, pre planned waypoint trips. It simply won't support them. So I'm selling that to get a Zumo 660.

did you try this software?

http://translate.google.com/transla...pair=fr|en&u=http://benichougps.blogspot.com/

looks like it'll convert any file format to another, also you are meant to be able to plan a route in google maps and then make it in to an itinerary for any device.

Soldato
ah looks like it just converts them. I guess the page above was linking to it wrong and meant to link to Tyre for google maps planning.

Soldato
OP
Well, it might work, but I think the TomTom still only supports up to 100 way points. Which will cause issues.

I'd rather just get rig and get a garmin, it seems it's more friendly for trips like this.

Soldato
Yeah I've not really used the tomtom for really long planned journeys like this but I'm sure it can do it.

Was just playing with Tyre, it's pretty easy to make up a day route sticking to the 48 points per Itinerary limit. You can name these like "Part 1 Calais to Rennes" and upload them to the Rider.

Then you go to the Itinerary menu bit (not got the tomtom with me) and load the itinerary in to memory. So you'll just break down the journey in to manageable chunks. Maybe do this for the routes you can see on BestBikingRoads and just let the Rider route you to the start from where ever you end up camping.

Looks like the pro version of Tyre will optimise the waypoints for you to use as little of them as possible, should be able to route pretty long sections like this.

Well, it might work, but I think the TomTom still only supports up to 100 way points. Which will cause issues.

Yeah I think this is just for a route loaded up in to memory at one time. But you can save multiple Itinerary on to the unit and load them in to memory as you need them. My old garmin cycling gps had similar limits.

Edit 2, looks like the pro license also lets you convert from garmin to tomtom so you can download the BestBikingRoad files and convert them really easily :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Never had a problem with the rider. Careful you don't just end up following the sat nav all day - they are good at times but you can miss out on a lot slavishly following it

Soldato
Hey, just wondering what gear you're going to end up taking? Looks like there could be a bit of rain over the 2 weeks we're both over there.

I'm going to have a similar jacket to you with mesh panels and was thinking of just taking a good pair of kevlar denims and some waterproofs, something like these.

http://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/33270
http://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/33286

My mesh jacket has an inner waterproof liner but doubt it would hold up to a proper day of wet riding.

Associate
Never had a problem with the rider. Careful you don't just end up following the sat nav all day - they are good at times but you can miss out on a lot slavishly following it

Absolutely. I didn't take a sat nav on either of my two bike trips in Europe, just used a map on the tank bag. If you're getting off every couple of hours for fuel/rest anyway it's no hassle to check the map whilst you're stopped. Plus, imho, it's much nicer knowing where you are on the map and where you're headed, rather than just following voice instructions on the nav.

Soldato
OP
Hey, just wondering what gear you're going to end up taking? Looks like there could be a bit of rain over the 2 weeks we're both over there.

I'm going to have a similar jacket to you with mesh panels and was thinking of just taking a good pair of kevlar denims and some waterproofs, something like these.

http://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/33270
http://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/33286

My mesh jacket has an inner waterproof liner but doubt it would hold up to a proper day of wet riding.

I'll post kit in a bit. Where are you getting the forecast from?

Soldato
Funnily enough, I'm going Portsmouth > Bilboa then across to Swiss/Austria and Germany again on 7th September... can't wait.

When I did my two week tour last year, water proofs was the main!

Yeah, I did a tour last year and it chucked it down every day! Riding down to Lake Como in 4 weeks and hoping for better weather this year, especially after the summer we've had!

Soldato
I'll post kit in a bit. Where are you getting the forecast from?

ah well not sure about later in the week but Saturday has some rain

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/3017382

managed to pop in to a bmw motorrad and picked up some of those summer 3 pants, seem pretty good, they are nylon but single skin for most of it and the bottoms zip off turning them in to shorts :o has some armour at the hips and knees, feels a bit safer than my old kevlar jeans I've been commuting in.

got a basic 2 piece rain set as well just in case it's really bad on Saturday as I've got about 380 miles to do.

Soldato
I picked up some rain pants from ghost bikes on eBay. Pants were £15 and I think the matching jacket was £18.

I can vouch for the pants. I've worn them in some torrential rain and been dry as a bone.

Comes with a bag to put them in and folds down small.

Soldato
weatherPro app by meteogroup is really handy as well, free on the app store with a small yearly sub for advanced features. Can see current saralite images and has a decent attempt at a 2 week for cast

Soldato
I've just thought of something we fell foul off last August fella... payment cards and unmanned petrol stations. For some reason, Europe has thousands of these unmanned jobbies, and 50% of them we tried wouldn't take a standard VISA card, like a current account card... take a variety of cards... all the amin stations are fine, but when you're in the arse end of no where... some of these just simply won't read the cards... wasn't just me, all four of us fell foul of it...

Which brings me to next point, don't let fuel run low incase this happens... so for me, I know I can do 190 miles until dry and empty... on a normal run... so, I was looking for fuel from 140 onwards,...a s you do NOT wanna run out.

make sure you have your plastic/paper licence, MOT, and cert of Insurance for the coppers...

and yeah, you're gonna have an EPIC time, wish I was going with ya!

Soldato
yeah had this last year, I just waited for a French person to fill up and offered them cash for card use :)

most of the petrol stations seem closed on Sundays away from major roads

Back
Top Bottom