• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

A Week With NVIDIA's G-SYNC Monitor

As an owner of both green & red rigs I'm looking forward to Mantle more, purely because I get to see it's benefits without spending any more cash. It's also going to be a good few years before G-Sync (if it takes off) gets to a saturation point where you are not limited to choice of monitor and is (for now) off limits to multi monitor setups. I would also be loathed to spend extra money on what is arguably the least often upgraded component only to have that extra feature redundant should I plug it into an AMD based rig.

As I game at 21:9, I'm far more interested in bigger 21:9 screens than I am G-Sync enabled screens. Obviously a bigger 21:9 G-Sync screen would tick all the boxes though - at the right price :D

Lastly, G-Sync does have it's quirks and limitations. As Anand pointed out, it seems to work best between certain frame rates and is not perfect even then. Mantle will have no such quirks, it will just be faster period. The only drawbacks are going to be in people's expectations rather than of the system itself.

As an owner of both green & red rigs I'm looking forward to Mantle more, purely because I get to see it's benefits without spending any more cash. It's also going to be a good few years before G-Sync (if it takes off) gets to a saturation point where you are not limited to choice of monitor and is (for now) off limits to multi monitor setups. I would also be loathed to spend extra money on what is arguably the least often upgraded component only to have that extra feature redundant should I plug it into an AMD based rig.

As I game at 21:9, I'm far more interested in bigger 21:9 screens than I am G-Sync enabled screens. Obviously a bigger 21:9 G-Sync screen would tick all the boxes though - at the right price :D

Lastly, G-Sync does have it's quirks and limitations. As Anand pointed out, it seems to work best between certain frame rates and is not perfect even then. Mantle will have no such quirks, it will just be faster period. The only drawbacks are going to be in people's expectations rather than of the system itself.

Interesting. I've not actually read anything regarding it. Got a link to that?

mantle is not without it's limitations either, game support being the big one, they have 2 games with a date attached to them, maybe another 2 this year, but beyond that most of the games listed are 2015/2016 release dates

this year will see the release of 2560x1440 and 4K monitors with gsync, I would also love to see a 21:9 near 4k monitor with one but not sure if I can stop myself from just buying the first 4K one that comes out

Last edited:
Interesting. I've not actually read anything regarding it. Got a link to that?

From AnandTech's conclusion;
In many situations the impact of G-Sync can be subtle. If you’re not overly bothered by tearing or are ok with v-sync stuttering, there’s really nothing G-Sync can offer you. There’s also the fact that G-Sync optimizes for a situation that may or may not be so visible 100% of the time. Unlike moving to a higher resolution or increasing quality settings, G-Sync’s value is best realized in specific scenarios where there’s a lot of frame rate variability - particularly between 30 and 60 fps.

I don't think Gsync is a feature i would particularly benefit from much, outside of a small selection of titles as my fps are rarely below 60, if i use vsync. But it sounds like a nice feature to have nonetheless. I look forward to seeing AMD's response to Gsync. There's going to be an announcement regarding it soon i hear and its supposedly free. That remains to be seen though and i have no actual idea if thats possible or not. If it is free, they'll be doing something at driver level id imagine.

Over at CES Nvidia announced that in Q2 these monitors will actually see availability, from six manufacturers. During the initial announcement Nvidia already stated that ASUS, BenQ, Philips and Viewsonic would deliver the monitors, now AOC (Philips) and Acer are joining in as well.

According to Nvidia CEO Jen-Hsun Huang you can expect 24" and 27" monitors with Full HD (1920x1080) and thus WQHD at 2560x1440.

http://www.guru3d.com/news_story/ces_nvidia_gsync_available_in_q2_from_6_manufacturers.html

this year will see the release of 2560x1440 and 4K monitors with gsync, I would also love to see a 21:9 near 4k monitor with one but not sure if I can stop myself from just buying the first 4K one that comes out
Now I've gamed at 21:9, I really don't want to go back - I just want a bigger version!! My dilemma will be do I wait for a big 21:9 G-Sync, or just buy the first big 21:9 to arrive ..

I don't think Gsync is a feature i would particularly benefit from much, outside of a small selection of titles as my fps are rarely below 60, if i use vsync. But it sounds like a nice feature to have nonetheless. I look forward to seeing AMD's response to Gsync. There's going to be an announcement regarding it soon i hear and its supposedly free. That remains to be seen though and i have no actual idea if thats possible or not. If it is free, they'll be doing something at driver level id imagine.

Do AMD have an equivalent to NVIDIA's adaptive vsync?

Do AMD have an equivalent to NVIDIA's adaptive vsync?

Yes via RadeonPro.

Dynamic V-sync Control or DVC feature dynamically turns display vertical synchronization on or off based on sustained frame rate vs. display’s refresh rate. When DVC is on, RadeonPro monitors frame rate in real time and when it is equal or greater than display’s refresh rate (e.g. 60 Hz), v-sync is kept on to avoid tearing and improve gaming smoothness, whereas when sustained frame rate is below display’s refresh rate, v-sync is turned off to reduce stuttering. Keep in mind some tearing can be visible while v-sync is off. - See more at: http://www.radeonpro.info/features/dynamic-vsync-control/#sthash.wNKcs9I8.dpuf

Source
http://www.radeonpro.info/features/dynamic-vsync-control/

Now I've gamed at 21:9, I really don't want to go back - I just want a bigger version!! My dilemma will be do I wait for a big 21:9 G-Sync, or just buy the first big 21:9 to arrive ..

the only one I've seen so far is the dell, but given their recent track record on monitors I might give that one a miss :D

Back
Top Bottom