• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

A Week With NVIDIA's G-SYNC Monitor

I was too busy sobering up last week :(

Will have a scratch around for your post on my lunch break!

Edit: found it :D

You mention it being an ips can you confirm this?

Last edited:
All other sources say it's a TN panel. Which is unfortunate but they are still better for gaming unfortunately. A lot cheaper to manufacture mind you which is why a lot of people are up in arms about the price of it.

I was too busy sobering up last week :(

Will have a scratch around for your post on my lunch break!

Edit: found it :D

You mention it being an ips can you confirm this?

Asus telling me now its definitely not IPS, but not confirming it to be TN either, actually I think they don't have a clue themselves, most people in Asus are only just getting the info, so are a little behind.

As to the price, well Asus can charge what they like, they are not holding a gun to anyones head forcing them to buy.

Good question on the 3D.

According to 3dvision blog, it wasn't mentioned with the press release but say that could be down to it awaiting certification as it still has another ~4 months until release its 3dvision status could change at any point.

It would also mark the release of the first 3dvision monitor with a resolution above 1920x1080.

According to 3dvision blog, it wasn't mentioned with the press release but say that could be down to it awaiting certification as it still has another ~4 months until release its 3dvision status could change at any point.

It would also mark the release of the first 3dvision monitor with a resolution above 1920x1080.

Cheers for the info Paul. Impressive if it is a higher res 3D option.

Looks like Asus have updated the info on their site with a "yes it is TN but trust us its a really good TN" style apology

To be fair to them, my aging asus 120hz tn is a very good (imo) quality panel, colours are vibrant, blacks are deep and most importantly its never gone belly up.

I'm one of those that tend to stick with a brand after a good experience, so another asus screen suits me perfectly :)

Now of only I could afford 3 of these and the horsepower to drive them :D

To be fair to them, my aging asus 120hz tn is a very good (imo) quality panel, colours are vibrant, blacks are deep and most importantly its never gone belly up.

I'm one of those that tend to stick with a brand after a good experience, so another asus screen suits me perfectly :)

Now of only I could afford 3 of these and the horsepower to drive them :D

My VG278H monitor is TN and the IQ is damned good. I have no problems getting another one :)

What Andy was referring to:

Why is the display TN rather than IPS/PVA/MVA, etc?
Not all TN’s are made the same: the premium panel used in the PG278Q is of very high quality. IPS panels (and their derivatives like PVA/MVA etc) are not suitable for a multitude of reasons: 1) the response rate is simply not fast enough to react to the active change in refresh rate and 2) They cannot reliably achieve >60Hz without significantly affecting the quality of the image. IGZO technology (and LTPS – low temperature polysilicon – likewise) – yields 100′s of times faster electron mobility versus standard amorphous silicon panels – and thus can provide a response rate comparable to TN (up to 60Hz currently), but, however desirable this technology is, it is still currently cost prohibitively for many PC gaming enthusiasts in 2014, which is why ROG has used a better price:performance, high quality TN panel.

Sounds promising tbh.

TN is TN

I have vowed never to spend money on one again. Vote with your wallet!
^This

Regardless whether or not it is a good quality TN panel, it is STILL a TN panel.

If they think TN panel is more suitable for the purpose, that's completely fine, but at least cut the price to reflect it rather expect people to pay the same premium so that they can pocket more money.

That's the thing though, to my knowledge there aren't any other 'real' 1440p 120hz 1ms monitors on the market, they have the customer cornered to charge what they want.

Back
Top Bottom