• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

A Week With NVIDIA's G-SYNC Monitor

Hah, £450 for a TN Film screen. I did mention that NVidia would overprice this in another thread! :)

I have to admit, NVidia's adaptive VSync helps quite a lot with tearing - you get the smoothness of a 60Hz lock without all the silly halving to 30fps it does.

I do with AMD would build something similar into drivers.

I find tearing really annoying, remember it happens when you're pumping out 120+fps as well so I can see the benefit of it for those of us with SLI and 120hz Screens. I'll wait until it's put into something interesting before jumping though, the Eizo's too good to give up.

Hah, £450 for a TN Film screen. I did mention that NVidia would overprice this in another thread! :)

I have to admit, NVidia's adaptive VSync helps quite a lot with tearing - you get the smoothness of a 60Hz lock without all the silly halving to 30fps it does.

I do with AMD would build something similar into drivers.

Agreed. You can use RadeonPro though which has Adaptive Vsync and is easy to setup and use.

If we get one from Asus, but to be honest the price point makes us not so interested.

Buy the standard monitor at sub £300 and put the additional £150 towards a flagship graphics card, then from what the reviews are saying you don't need G-sync, especially if you have SLI or Crossfire.

hang on, the US reviews are saying it's $100 more, how does that translate in to £150 more over here?

also, the reviews are saying that gsync is smoother than vsync even at very high refresh rates... why not save a further £150-300 on the extra graphics card you don't need, and the monitor will last for how ever many generations of graphics card, saving you money again and again on unnecessary graphics cards

ah I see, Gibbo trying to get everyone to spend more money on GPU's more often ;)

hang on, the US reviews are saying it's $100 more, how does that translate in to £150 more over here?

also, the reviews are saying that gsync is smoother than vsync even at very high refresh rates... why not save a further £150-300 on the extra graphics card you don't need, and the monitor will last for how ever many generations of graphics card, saving you money again and again on unnecessary graphics cards

ah I see, Gibbo trying to get everyone to spend more money on GPU's more often ;)

Price UK reviews are saying is £450, what it cost in the US is irrelevant.

The standard monitor with G-Sync is sub £300, so that's £150 difference, too much in my book and I'd not buy one.

BenQ ones when they come will be under £300 I believe, and the 27" version should be sub £400 or close, those will be better value. :)

Price UK reviews are saying is £450, what it cost in the US is irrelevant.

The standard monitor with G-Sync is sub £300, so that's £150 difference, too much in my book and I'd not buy one.

BenQ ones when they come will be under £300 I believe, and the 27" version should be sub £400 or close, those will be better value. :)

And you can put the £150 saved towards a better GPU :D

if they are $400 in the US (which is what Nvidia and every US review has said), it will be cheaper to buy one from the US and pay the import duty - well south of £400

if the US price on the basic one is $280 and the UK price is sub £300, I really can't see it being $400 US but £450 UK

and you are even saying the benq Gsync ones will be sub £300, so it's not £150 more for a gsync monitor in general :D

if they are $400 in the US (which is what Nvidia and every US review has said), it will be cheaper to buy one from the US and pay the import duty - well south of £400

if the US price on the basic one is $280 and the UK price is sub £300, I really can't see it being $400 US but £450 UK

Maybe UK review got the price wrong?

Only BenQ have given me an indication of pricing so far.

Great find thanks Matt.

Is there a confirmed list of the panels you can fit this to?

I like my Asus PB278Q (1440p) and would hate to have to buy a new one given it is less than a year old.

It will take some time to get G-Sync expanded out even beyond the ASUS unit.

There are several issues here - one is that each G-Sync module must be tuned to the specific panel and PCBs used for that panel. As of now, the OEM makers - ASUS, BENQ, etc have the tech from Nvidia and are implementing them the best way they see fit (read: in whatever way makes them the most money). This goes to my point that people claiming exclusivity have no idea what they are talking about. The tech has been released to OEM makers already. The second issue is that of development. Since the tech must be tuned for each application it means it will take time for the modules to make their way into a bunch of different panel formats since R&D and production is pricey.

We here at Overlord are small potatoes and have not been given such worldly access to the OEM specs for G-Sync. We couldn't do much with it anyway since we don't have a large R&D department to make custom PCBs with the modules properly tuned to our panel (IPS) and TCONs.

After a conversation with Nvidia last week the whole expansion to IPS - and more importantly as far as we here at Overlord are concerned - to IPS/1440 panels is in the works. I am waiting to hear back on where in the R&D timeline the 1440/IPS G-Sync module is. Until then I continue to hammer home with Nvidia that the holy grail, short of a real 4k at 60hz or above, not the hybrids out now, is a 1440/120Hz selectable/G-Sync model. TN at 1080 is ok if you run 3 panels, but a single panel? Please. With GPUs ramping up each quarter it seems, soon 3 x 1440/120/GSYNC will be attainable and price effective compared to the upcoming 4K models.

Bottom line I think people don't understand that you cannot take the module and just plug it into a different setup. The module must be engineered to each specific application making it more time consuming and ultimately more expensive.
http://overlordforum.com/topic/603-nvidia-g-sync/page-2#entry6702

So if as Gibbo says the BenQ monitors will be sub £300, then the Asus one at £450 is down to Asus not Nvidia, people should stop moaning at Nvidia for the high prices of the initial G-sync monitors as you can bet it is not Nvidia that will have set the prices but the monitor companies themselves.

Anyway of course the initial ones will be expensive, as is the case with any new technology.

So if as Gibbo says the BenQ monitors will be sub £300, then the Asus one at £450 is down to Asus not Nvidia, people should stop moaning at Nvidia for the high prices of the initial G-sync monitors as you can bet it is not Nvidia that will have set the prices but the monitor companies themselves.

Anyway of course the initial ones will be expensive, as is the case with any new technology.

the original RRP on the asus (without gsync) was $350 in the US, it was quickly $280 before they even announced Gsync was coming along, Asus seem to be pretty good at launching monitors with too high a price tag :D

I find tearing really annoying, remember it happens when you're pumping out 120+fps as well so I can see the benefit of it for those of us with SLI and 120hz Screens. I'll wait until it's put into something interesting before jumping though, the Eizo's too good to give up.

Screen tear happens no matter what fps you pumping out. It don't happen just because you go over the hertz if the monitor, it happens because the gpu and display are out of sync.

Screen tear happens no matter what fps you pumping out. It don't happen just because you go over the hertz if the monitor, it happens because the gpu and display are out of sync.

I think that's what he meant - gibbo previously commented that if you had SLI and 120fps that there was no benefit, I think Arcane just meant that it even happens in these circumstances as well

Back
Top Bottom