Poll: Abortion, Roe v. Wade

What is you're opinion on abortion ?

• Fully pro-life, including Embryo

Votes: 17 2.5%
  • Pro-life but exceptions for morning after pill and IUDs

Votes: 25 3.7%
  • Pro-choice but up until heartbeat limit of 6-weeks

Votes: 64 9.6%
  • Pro-choice up to pre-viability limit (based on local legislation)

Votes: 451 67.6%
  • Fully pro-choice until birth

Votes: 110 16.5%

• Total voters
Caporegime
Stuff like this just reminds me what a fractured country the USA actually is...

I'm pretty much pro choice. Why that's gets demonized is beyond me.....

If the mother/ father if applicable, can cope with their decision then ok.

Soldato

Because it's more about religion for 99.9% of the anti abortion mob and America is pretty backwards with its Christian beliefs.

Soldato

I wish it was just the US. I think globally we are in a bad way at the moment, the UK is almost as fractured as the US imo just for different reasons.

Life was so much simpler when i was a kid and my only arguments seemed to stem around Speccy or C64, or later on ST or Amiga (or the plebs with a SNES or Megadrive ;) ) or maybe on an especially heated day Man united or Liverpool.

Soldato
It's concerning that we as a country seem to aspire to become more American than European...

Thankfully religion is heading the way of the dodo here so we won't have religious nutters running the country. We do need America though, it is the buffer against the likes of China. we absolutely shouldn't be trying to emulate it though. Politically it is turning into a proper **** hole.

Soldato
Caporegime
OP
IIRC the claim in the other thread was as many as 26 states will “ban” abortion yet upon closer inspection that was a shaky claim.

When there are statements from local Republican politicians in favour of similar European limits and only a slight majority of republicans in power then the assumption that some old trigger law stay in place and new legislation won’t be brought in seems rather a bad one.

Soldato
Oklahoma has just passed a law to ban any "abortion" after fertilisation, but it's ok if you're raped you only have to convince law enforcement that it happened for an exemption.
Mind you at least they have the exemption for if the woman/girl's life is in danger, so it's not completely evil and not quite as utterly stupid as some of the others.
how many men are going to get accused of rape now thanks to morning after regret after a drunken mistake.

percentage wise a tiny number but it will be significant for those men who it happens to.

Soldato
how many men are going to get accused of rape now thanks to morning after regret after a drunken mistake.

percentage wise a tiny number but it will be significant for those men who it happens to.
Yes, those lawmakers obviously didn't think it through; not that they are thinking logically or basing their decision on rationality anyway.

Caporegime
OP
I suspect driving/getting transport to another state for a pill (or indeed getting it online) would be an easier option than filing a false rape accusation! (not that it won't happen in some rare scenarios but I don't think it's the main worry here).

Caporegime
OP
I guess we'll see what happens now with individual states, it looks like the supreme court has overturned it.

Legally it does seem to be the right decision (that, constitutionally, abortion laws should, currently, be a matter for states to legislate on) obviously the consequences aren't necessarily too great in some states given that some wish to practically outlaw or heavily restrict it.

Some comments re: the constitution actually banning abortion, Kavanaugh dismisses that idea + doesn't think bans on traveling to other states for an abortion would be constitutional either:

Soldato
If anyone ever wanted to know why judicial appointments should never be political, look this way…

Separation of powers is so crucial for proper democracy. Can’t stand political interference or media interference with the judiciary.

America has got what it deserves. They want politically appointed attorney generals, judges and so on. This is what they get.

Associate
The USA really does seem to be really trying to go backwards and clearly succeeding it's frankly embarrassing seeing so much of what made the USA great dwindle away.
Yes, but I thought the Dems led by Biden was the answer, just like people said it would be after getting that "nasty orange man" out.

Why is it that the current crop are always worse than the last? Wait and see what happens in the UK once the Tories are out. If people think things are bad now, they haven't seen anything yet.

Back
Top Bottom