Poll: Abu Dhabi Grand Prix 2021, Yas Island - Race 22

Rate the 2021 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix out of ten. If you want. I can’t be arsed.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

All Lewis can do next year is focus on beating Max on track and make it seem like a one-off fluke.

Soldato
Any F1 stat boffins here know if today was the fastest full safety car restart (in terms of number of laps) of the year? Since Masi took over from Charlie?

Has Masi ever before only partially unlapped the field during a full safety car?

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

You don't fluke your way to being equal on points after 21 races, both drivers were deserving of the WDC this year.
I agree but what I mean is; if Lewis wants to take the steam out of Max’s sails he needs to win again and show the world that one championship win in the middle of his reign is a blip not a tide turning.

Soldato
You cannot make up the rules as you go along. You say no overtaking then let only some of the cars go. That means the cars that were not allowed to unlap themselves were not allowed to race.

A soft penalty is not comparable to what happened today.

What happened today would be the equivalent of sending half a team off the pitch just so the other side could win.

Or going into extra time with one team saving their substitutes for the second fifteen minutes, only for the other team to score and the referee suddenly deciding the match should be ended after the first fifteen minutes instead.

Soldato
If the RD didn't follow the rules to the letter and it has a financial impact on a team, then surely that could be claims for reimbursement.

Money are paid for constructor's title not for driver's, you could argue it hits their advertising revenue but don't think that would stand.

It also shows 1 man can control the results, that would put him in a position of potential blackmail.
Stranger things have happened at sea.

You could say that about marshals as well, crooked marshal could also single handily effect a race result.

One thing for sure the rules and procedures need reviewing.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Money are paid for constructor's title not for driver's, you could argue it hits their advertising revenue but don't think that would stand.

You could say that about marshals as well, crooked marshal could also single handily effect a race result.

One thing for sure the rules and procedures need reviewing.
Rogue Marshall :D

Soldato
so, the latest news :

The stewards deliberated for over three hours before dismissing both protests.

Red Bull Team Principal Christian Horner says the F1 stewards made the right decision after Mercedes protested against Max Verstappen's victory at the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix.
Soon after, Mercedes lodged their intention to appeal and they now have 96 hours to launch an official appeal.

Coincidentally, that timeframe takes them up to Thursday night when Verstappen is due to be crowned champion at the FIA Awards Ceremony.

lets wait and see !!!
Yeah it will all be dropped its only a motor race which is futile anyway, f1 want viewers and controversy provides them up to a point. Personally I think they are barking up the wrong tree. None motor racing fans will not stay with the sport until its free to air for casual viewing and it costs too much for that. The rules and tyres have got to be simple, get in a car and drive.
But I just don't think they are going to get what they want, motor racing is not really in the mind of the general public most weekends. Even in america just look at the following for most sports, single seater racing is a long way down the list except for indy.
Even the world championship isn't that important really, the cost cap etc is going to hugely change the sport anyway, (hopefully) .

Caporegime
I agree but what I mean is; if Lewis wants to take the steam out of Max’s sails he needs to win again and show the world that one championship win in the middle of his reign is a blip not a tide turning.

This is all in the pretence that they both have winning cars next year. You look at 98, 09, 14 rule changes and never has a dominant team kept themselves at the top.

For all we know McLaren and Ferrari could be top dogs. For heaven sake Lance Stroll could be battling for a championship.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

They've probably never done that before in the history of f1.
This is the bit that chaps my ass.

Any other race and I guarantee everyone on this forum would have been posting how long the SC restart period is; how the unlapping of cars is a waste of time; how slow the race director is to get going again.

Today, the one day more than any where the hype is at crazy levels they rush it and make a pigs ear of it all. They’ve done thousands of restarts in the past and today they changed the game. Why?

There would have been controversy if they’d finished under the SC, hell I bet there would have been controversy if they didn’t let unlapped cars past (I can’t recall that ever happening in the modern era and I’ve been watching since 94) but at least it would have been within the rules.

Soldato

Yeah but we go into next season with so many unknowns and hopefully more than just 2 teams battling it out for the WDC/WCC.

Hopefully it's not yet another era of one dominant team for 90% of the time.

Caporegime
This is the bit that chaps my ass.

Any other race and I guarantee everyone on this forum would have been posting how long the SC restart period is; how the unlapping of cars is a waste of time; how slow the race director is to get going again.

Today, the one day more than any where the hype is at crazy levels they rush it and make a pigs ear of it all.

There would have been controversy if they’d finished under the SC, hell I bet there would have been controversy if they didn’t let unlapped cars past (I can’t recall that ever happening in the modern era and I’ve been watching since 94) but at least it would have been within the rules.

I cant imagine there was going to be much controversy at all if it finished under the safety car. Lewis was clearly the deserved winner and had the race comfortably won but for Masi's imaginary rules.

Soldato
All Lewis can do next year is focus on beating Max on track and make it seem like a one-off fluke.
Max is a very fast and consistent driver we will find out how Russell stacks up over the season but the cars down the grid or their drivers are hopeless at the moment. We probably won't see a significant change until the new engine regs in 26 I think so don't hold your breath.
Next year will be the Max and Lewis or George show.
I did see a quote casting doubt on Lewis returning next year.

Associate
I don't get all the negativity, its clear that masi did what he did because he wanted the championship to finish in a race, not behind the safety car. And I don't think anyone could fault him for that. If hamilton had pitted and max stayed out, I would still have wanted to see them race to the line.

Ask yourself this. If latifis accident was a lap earlier, the cars had all unlapped themselves, and the safety car had come in a lap later, and everything else played out exactly the same, would you still be upset by the result?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom