Poll: Abu Dhabi Grand Prix 2021, Yas Island - Race 22

Rate the 2021 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix out of ten. If you want. I can’t be arsed.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
The thing is, I believe Lewis should have given the place back right at the start. Kind of evened out in the end, not like that's a good way for the race to be decided though.
He left the track because he was again forced off it. He could have turned into a Redbull instead. I think most people would therefore drive off the track.

Caporegime
Why would it be tainted for Lewis? He was the rightful winner of the race under the rules as written.

Having the race settled after the fact and in court would be very uninspiring and contentious regardless of whether it was right or wrong for a lot of people.

I do agree he was the rightful winner of that race but just how I imagine it would be portrayed. The whole thing has a bad feeling surrounding it now whatever the outcome (i expect nothing)

Soldato
Having the race settled after the fact and in court would be very uninspiring and contentious regardless of whether it was right or wrong for a lot of people.

I do agree he was the rightful winner of that race but just how I imagine it would be portrayed. The whole thing has a bad feeling surrounding it now whatever the outcome (i expect nothing)

Any worse by RB winning through the rules not being adhered to?

Caporegime

No more contentious than the race director making up imaginary rules to gift the race to Max.

Soldato

That would be a failure for the FIA. Not for Hamilton and Mercedes.

It's also not RBR's fault. They tried everything they could, but ultimately play by the same rules.

Soldato

To be fair Masi et al could’ve avoided this situation by not creating a situation that could be protested…

Soldato
Red flagging the race and giving us a 4 lap shootout would have been the least bad way to decide it.

Lewis could have changed his tyres and we'd have had a straight fight.

There's gonna be no winners now whatever the outcome. Max wins and it's always a bit contentious, Lewis wins and it's 100x more contentious.

Associate
Terrible if you're a Hamilton/Mercedes fan, amazing if you're a Max/Red Bull fan or neutral. I couldn't have wished for a better end to the season other than Norris winning.

As a neutral I'm not sure. Yes it's great that they tried to get racing done asap. On balance Red Bull took the risks and succeeded. Hamilton was faster overall. Do I think it's becoming more like WWE :shurgs:

Associate
Handing back the place wouldn’t have made any difference, Lewis was outpacing Max at that point, like he’s was for a good 80-90% of the race. Also do you not agree that Max did not leave any space with his lunge and forced Lewis off the track (yet again)?

Agree handing back wouldn’t have changed outcome, but that was a substantial advantage from leaving the track that wasn’t punished or investigated.

For the overtake I don’t think MV needs to leave much space, LH has lost the corner already due to his position/line of entry and MV massive pace and grip advantage due to tyres. LH wouldn’t have been able to stay on the outside pace wise anyway, which is why he cut back to get a better line for the next corner as he knew he couldn’t fit staying on the outside line.

edit - this move is different to previous as MV has stayed on track throughout the move and has been ahead going in to the corner on the racing line, so not comparable to the previous races where he couldn’t slow it down and drove LH (and himself) off the track.

I think the best chance Merc have is the restart process rather than anything on track. For me none of the Mv driving would particularly give a penalty. Though we still have scrutinering (sp?) to throw a spanner in the work potentially!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom