Abundance of games - Scarcity of interest.

Soldato
over saturated market, and skills.
the dream of make a game earn millions be a hero, now more a make a game be broke and have ltos of stress.
most independants makling games have a full or part time job at least as well to supplement income.
ot that talenet in the market at sub let out to other companies as subies

I worked in the games industry in the 00s as one of my first jobs. I think what happened is the experience/talent left when the corporations moved in and the skills never really got past down.

Things have got quite stale or developers just aren't allowed to take risks with new ideas. In the old days it was a lot of small studios who were willing to have some fun and be creative.

Last edited:
Soldato
I run older games on my laptop now, for sheer convenience, but recent hardware issues with my 2500k gave me the upgrading itch again... the fascination with PC building isn't dead. But when I put together a basic upgrade, it occurred to me that playing Far Cry 3 & 4 or Borderlands 1 & 2 again (responsible for most of my game time on Steam) is not going to justify the money. I have thought about getting back into iRacing, but I sank took much money into that a decade ago, and I was shockingly slow, so...

So I think about what I play... what I've got in my bargainacious Steam library that I've barely touched (and won't touch) and I think... it's time I picked up my guitar again. Life is precious, and in increasingly short supply. Well, it is at my age, which is 61 tomorrow. I walked 17.5 miles yesterday, from Glossop to Macc. And today I feel 91. I should stick to gaming maybe?

Appreciate the thread reminding me about Valheim. It was on offer recently and I meant to pick it up. Have heard good things about it. Mind you, I downloaded GTAV again last week, after finished Sopranos again... I've never got more than half an hour into that. And there's Dragon Age Inquisition waiting too... enjoyed the first one, a lifetime ago. Downloaded that and haven't even fired it up to look at yet. I do sometimes wonder whether I'm a gamer at all. But I did fire up Borderlands 3 last week, just for long enough to do a loot loop and get a murdery hit. And I did download Doom64, but had keybinding issues. I lack the patience for such things now!

Now, remind me why did I came into this thread? My keys are in my pocket, so it can't be that...

Associate
I am an older gamer (50), but I still like modern games like Baldur's Gate 3, Helldivers 2. I think we are all different, and we like what we like.

From having Spectrum, Amiga, SNES, Gameboy x 6(don't ask), N64, PS1, PS2, gaming PC's, PS3, PS4, Xbox One, Series X and PS5. I think we have so many games to choose from on PC. I can play Company of Heroes from 2007, to Helldivers 2 in 2024. This is what makes PC's great. I am not feeling jaded about PC, maybe the consoles though. Consoles have terrible game bargains in 2024.

Associate
. What ultimately happens is I end up watching old movies and TV shows or for games, I seem to get drawn back into older ones I've completed before.

A mate was saying the same thing a few weeks back, i agreed. Time is a big factor, and not wanting to waste it on rubbish. As mentioned the availability reduces the appreciation of media, it devalues itself. So it all has a compounding effect.

I'd like to play some oldies i never did, or complete ones that i never did too. Funnily enough, being able to isn't straight forward.

I had a lot of fun on some older PC titles that i never try before, but ultimately i haven't gamed at all for ages due to time.

Associate
My take (as a 45yr old):
We (people of similar age) saw the birth of gaming- graphics and sound improving year on year, as tech developed, and every new game launch pushed things a little more.
I started with BBC Micros, and later 286 PCs at school, friends had NES or C64, the odd Speccy dotted around. Then the ST and Amiga popped up (I had an ST) and they blew our minds.

Could type a lot more here, but I'll snip it, and summarize that pretty much everything has been done now. Any big new game is just a derivation of something that's gone before. The graphics are stunning, the sound is incredible, yah yah yah. But there's never a big "WOW!" moment any more.
I find that a little sad, but I'm also thankful to have experienced what I have.

Also, I'm getting older. I grumble about modern music too. :D

Last edited:
Soldato
My take (as a 45yr old):
We (people of similar age) saw the birth of gaming- graphics and sound improving year on year, as tech developed, and every new game launch pushed things a little more.
I started with BBC Micros, and later 286 PCs at school, friends had NES or C64, the odd Speccy dotted around. Then the ST and Amiga popped up (I had an ST) and they blew our minds.

Could type a lot more here, but I'll snip it, and summarize that pretty much everything has been done now. Any big new game is just a derivation of something that's gone before. The graphics are stunning, the sound is incredible, yah yah yah. But there's never a big "WOW!" moment any more.
I find that a little sad, but I'm also thankful to have experienced what I have.

But even when they try to remake old stuff it isn't as good. Even content wise, you don't get as much.

E.g Ignoring graphics I don't think the Doom reboots are as good as the 90s originals. Certainly not when it comes to map design.

Last edited:
Associate
My take (as a 45yr old):

As someone who’s 10 years younger than you, I feel the same way.

Associate
I used to absolutely LOVE World of Warcraft. Lost years of my life to it in my late twenties/early thirties. Got a small family now so dont have the time, nothings ever been the same since for me though.

Is it still going ?!

Soldato
i have a simple solution for all those "old" ones, get a mistriss or suggar daddy depending on your personaL prefernces, they'll keep you fit and active on your toes :p

I used to absolutely LOVE World of Warcraft. Lost years of my life to it in my late twenties/early thirties. Got a small family now so dont have the time, nothings ever been the same since for me though.

Is it still going ?!
WOW is still going they even employed the community team to set up and run the wow classic servers.

• Haha
Reactions: TNA
Soldato

Is it still going ?!

Yea but compared to how it was years ago, it's trash. I did try it again a few years back. I wouldn't even call it an RPG anymore and more a hack and slash type of thing.

Last edited:
Associate
Yea but compared to how it was years ago, it's trash. I did try it again a few years back. I wouldn't even call it an RPG anymore and more a hack and slash type of thing.
That's a shame, I remember it being groundbreaking back in 2004, it literally changed my life. I'm kinda glad in a way though no way I could get back into that kinda life thesedays !

Soldato
I live in DCS I lose interest in most games but still trying to find something else to give me a break from VR lol.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom