Abundance of games - Scarcity of interest.

Associate
My goal this year was to limit buying new titles as much as possible and play stuff in my backlog until completion. That hasn't worked so far. Bought, played and completed dragons dogma 2 instead.

Currently playing Hades 2, That wasn't in my backlog lol.

But I have Dying light 2 still to complete, but having to re-learn it all to carry on or start again kills the interest when I try.

Like a dragon, the first one. Its the only reason I didn't get the second. I convinced myself to not buy the new one until I complete the first at least....

I suppose I did finally get back to stellaris with all the expansions I accumulated and actually play it to completion. So I am making progress, but now no mans sky has a new update/expedition...I can see myself playing that instead of the backlog for sure.

But the problem for me i find is I'm interested almost up until the point of purchase...….like fanatically interested. And if i do not play that day it'll go on the backlog and not hold the same interest. Like literally happened with Mythforce last night >_> Already feel like not playing it now.

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
:D oh I know I'm still enjoying it. So many fun games out there to play that theres never enough time in the week !

Exactly. I don't think I can ever be bored. So many games so play. We also love board games but don't get enough time for them. In retirement me and my mrs will be playing a lot of board games.

Then you got activities outside. Even if we could retire today I don't think there is enough time to do all the things we would enjoy.

Soldato
My problem is I can't break out of a cycle of replaying old games I know I will like. Like I've just finished replaying the original DOS XCom, and rather than picking one of my massive catalogue of newer games on Steam and all the others, I've just stared replaying HoMM3. Before XCom it was a replay of the original Baldurs Gate 1&2. After I finish HoMM3 I will no doubt go back and play Jagged Alliance 2 again for the umpteenth time, or start a new run of Crusader Kings 2 or Hearts of Iron 3 or Master of Orion or Men of War, just ancient games.

I can't stop buying new games in sales of course, like every sale I will buy something. E.g. just now Total Warhammer III, to go along with Total Warhammer I and II including *all* the dlc which were bought years ago, but despite installing it all I've only loaded the game up a couple of times to check all the dlc had been activated. Haven't even started one game in any of them.

I think my problem is I *know* I love these old games and kind of don't want to take the risk of using time up playing a newer game I might not like. And I do think that the sheer quantity of games that have built up in my various libraries is a major factor in not being able to pick one, it's just easier to replay an old game. There is probably a medical term for this, Newgameophobia or something.

BTW this also applies to my PS5, bought quite a lot of games for it and the PS4 over the years but more or less the *only* game I play on it is PES2021. I think I need help to be honest.

Last edited:
Soldato
I still love gaming, specifically on pc. But I don't have much time for it since having a busy job, wife, coursework etc. good news is that I still have loads of games I want to play and by the time I get to them they are really cheap, fully patched and all the dlc is out for them.

I don't upgrade that often but when I did in October last year it made gaming really fun again as I could play games my pc would have struggled on before. The pricing for pc parts isn't very good anymore. But I don't upgrade often (4 year gap from October) and I definitely see the difference and it's one of my few hobbies that I have.

Back
Top Bottom