Acer 8371/3810 Owners Thread

Associate
First post here but just read the entire thread so please cut me some slack :rolleyes:

Cant seem to find the 1810GT on-line anywhere at a decent price, or even the 8371 with the switchable ATI graphics for that matter.

The switchable ATI graphics and SU9400 processor is a must and I would prefer the 1810GT over the 8371 but as I don't use the HDMI output its not a deal breaker.

If anyone knows of anywhere and could pm me a link I'd appreciate it :)

Update found somewhere with 11 of the 8371G left for £452 a pop ..... but would like to find cheaper obviously, let me know guys.

Last edited:
Associate
First post here but just read the entire thread so please cut me some slack :rolleyes:

Cant seem to find the 1810GT on-line anywhere at a decent price, or even the 8371 with the switchable ATI graphics for that matter.

The switchable ATI graphics and SU9400 processor is a must and I would prefer the 1810GT over the 8371 but as I don't use the HDMI output its not a deal breaker.

If anyone knows of anywhere and could pm me a link I'd appreciate it :)

Update found somewhere with 11 of the 8371G left for £452 a pop ..... but would like to find cheaper obviously, let me know guys.
A 24/7 IT retailer has it (3810T) for £389.99, delivered. I got my 8371 from them, and they found me a replacement last week when it broke (despite being out of stock for a month). Maybe if you called them you could get hold of one?

Associate
A 24/7 IT retailer has it (3810T) for £389.99, delivered. I got my 8371 from them, and they found me a replacement last week when it broke (despite being out of stock for a month). Maybe if you called them you could get hold of one?

i was just looking at the 3810 from the place you mention. Spec seems great for the price. just wasnt sure about the retailer, but you say their good?

Associate
Thanks for the replies guys. I'd like to hold out for the one with the ATI graphics, without paying the extra 60 quid for it of course. You guys that got one for £350is really did get a bargain.

Associate
Just out of interest whats the hd video playback like on the 8371 without the dedicated graphics?

I've not played games (apart from retro emulators) on the PC for years.

Associate
Vista + quiet fan

Hi dragonuk, sorry I'm being a broken record but is there any chance of a Vista-compatible modded BIOS for integrated-graphics 8371? Several people I know with these beasties would be fantastically grateful. Sorry to be a pain. Would make me a very happy camper :)

Associate
Did you get this sorted as today I have the same Sierra MC8775 and Sierra MC8781 and both are not recognised ?!?

:confused:

I did get it working. I ended up taping a pin (pin 20?) on the card and Win7 then found a CD ROM drive (like a USB 3G modem does). This "CD ROM" had a set of drivers which when installed allowed the OS to see the card, which in turn then supported the WiFi/3G hardware switch (giving you 4 options - from all on to all off).

Thing is, I don't know if I needed to tape pin 20 because I wasn't looking for a CD ROM drive - suggest you check this first.

Associate
I did get it working. I ended up taping a pin (pin 20?) on the card and Win7 then found a CD ROM drive (like a USB 3G modem does). This "CD ROM" had a set of drivers which when installed allowed the OS to see the card, which in turn then supported the WiFi/3G hardware switch (giving you 4 options - from all on to all off).

Thing is, I don't know if I needed to tape pin 20 because I wasn't looking for a CD ROM drive - suggest you check this first.

I tried that but to no avail.

Sending both back and going to see if I can get another maybe GTM382E as Acer seem to have that in their support list. Did you have the 8781 or 8775 btw ?

Associate
any one know what software i can uninstall on my 3810tg windows 7 ,as it takes twice as long to boot as my 3 year old samsung x11 which runs xp. also mine has 500gb hard drive and out of the box has more of the hard drive used than i have used on my x11 in 3 years.

Associate
any one know what software i can uninstall on my 3810tg windows 7 ,as it takes twice as long to boot as my 3 year old samsung x11 which runs xp. also mine has 500gb hard drive and out of the box has more of the hard drive used than i have used on my x11 in 3 years.

Maybe try running CCleaner? It can do a good job of removing large temporary files left over from running Windows Update or files in the Internet Explorer cache. I just wiped 447 MB from my wife's 8371 using CCleaner. You might also uninstall any MS Office trial and install OpenOffice.org instead :) In addition I uninstalled McAfee and installed Microsoft's Security Essentials - nice and unobtrusive. Windows 7 itself only takes up about 8-9 GB on the disk (in c:\windows at any rate). There may be Windows 7 recovery data on your disk taking up a few GB. My wife's 500GB machine has 337GB free and that's with 30GB user data and OpenOffice.org installed.

If you hibernate instead of restart Windows it'll save you some time (sorry, stating the obvious).

Man of Honour

I've noticed a massive difference in boot up time since I swapped out the HD for a 500GB Seagate Momentus XT, after the fingerscan for security it boots into Windows 7 within 15 seconds its much much faster than even my new gaming desktop I built in October.

Really impressed with my 8371, been using it plugged into my keyboard and monitor this weekend and it almost feels faster than my Quad Core Desktop :eek:

Associate
Nooo, worst retailer i've *ever* purchased from. Messed me around multiple times, dont contact you, ignore consumer law, lie on the phone etc.

However, the 8731's worth it...

well i purchased one from them and all seems good, arrived quickly and working.

Associate

What is wrong with yours, and how long have you had it?

Mine has a flickering screen when not on full brightness.

I want to get it sorted but its been a couple of months or so now so i dont want to send it off for repair as i have heard so many horror stories!

Would rather just get a replacement if possible!

Back
Top Bottom