Acer 8371/3810 Owners Thread

Associate
ARGH, am sitting in the library right now, laptop not plugged in, and the fan is on at 31c! Bloody thing hah.

I thought it was meant to come on at 50.

Associate
I can't get MSI Afterburner to "Accept" GPU overclocks. No matter what I'm doing it stays at 450/600 and doesn't move.

Any ideas???

T

Do you mean it just doesnt give you the option, or it gives you the option but wont save?

If it doesnt give you the option you need to change a 0 to a 1, in the config file for afterburner.

If it doesnt save, well then your in the same situation as me which i yet to solve.

Soldato
Do you mean it just doesnt give you the option, or it gives you the option but wont save?

If it doesnt give you the option you need to change a 0 to a 1, in the config file for afterburner.

If it doesnt save, well then your in the same situation as me which i yet to solve.

I have the option but it doesn't save. Meaning that the clocks never change from 450/600......

Adz, how on earth did you get it to work???? :D

Soldato
OP
I have the option but it doesn't save. Meaning that the clocks never change from 450/600......

Adz, how on earth did you get it to work???? :D

Whatever I did, it took me 10 mins max using google or messing around in the settings to figure it out :p If you guys don't figure it out by tonight, I will let you know once I'm back from work. :)

Soldato
From the top of my head, try saving the settings as a profile. I know I have my settings saved as profile 1, and then I applied and saved those.

Tried that several times mate. Still didn't work. Not had time to do a google over the weekend. May try tonight if you don't post a how-to yourself.

So to recap: I found the relevant part of the cfg file and changed that to a "1" from a "0". then created profiles and moved sliders etc etc. But no joy, still at 450/600 no matter what I seemed to do both within the settings of the program itself or in the cfg file.

Associate
That was my problem, i would create a profile, click the profile, click apply, and all the settings were wrong haha. :(

EDIT:

Laptop fan is driving me mad again haha.

Is it easy to mod a bios to change fan turn on temperature to say 50, for both plugged in, and whilst running on battery?

I had not even flashed a bios until a week or so ago, so i am a complete noob on this!

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm not bowled over by the UL30A build quality, or screen viewing angles. This looks better built. The viewing angles look similarly poor. But I still love my notebook. They are great at what they do (basically better specced netbooks).

Associate
Done - The 8371-944G50n can be had for £20 more.. it has HDMI but does it have the dedicated graphics? Getting conflicting information.

I dont believe it has discrete graphics.

Bump for anyone willing to help me mod a bios to increase temp that fan comes on :)

Associate
How well does it run WoW? Looking for something to run WoW when I visit the inlaws. What sort of setting do oyu run and what sort of framerates are you getting? Do you have trouble with it in northrend or with the redone zones in the old kingdoms?

I was looking at a samsung r580 but thats still more than I'd like to spend, so if this laptop does play WoW ok it may be worth looking at.

Is there a 15" version available?

The only slowdown I have is when logging in to Dalaran or major cities, but I raid on it and it's very capable, I run it in a 16:9 window (whatever the one is thats smaller than the native res, 1280:960?) with "Good" graphics settings, MSBT, DBM, Skada, Omen, and a minimalist UI, I sometimes have a little bit of stutter when I'm at big AoE packs in ICC, but that's because I'm throwing about SoC (now RoF)

Associate
The only slowdown I have is when logging in to Dalaran or major cities, but I raid on it and it's very capable, I run it in a 16:9 window (whatever the one is thats smaller than the native res, 1280:960?) with "Good" graphics settings, MSBT, DBM, Skada, Omen, and a minimalist UI, I sometimes have a little bit of stutter when I'm at big AoE packs in ICC, but that's because I'm throwing about SoC (now RoF)

Really appreciate the feedback, thanks fella. Would just be used for quest grinding and maybe 5 mans for me so seems it will do the job.

Back
Top Bottom