ACER Monitors - my warranty hell and why you should NOT buy one

Soldato
Just to give an insight to those asking about BenQ. I have a projector from them thats due a firmware update to fix some issues. They are quick to answer the phone and pleasant and the guy was in the Netherlands. They wanted me to post my projector to a service centre and pay £50 quid for an update that fixes faults. They finally agreed to do it for free but was a pia.

Associate
Just to give an insight to those asking about BenQ. I have a projector from them thats due a firmware update to fix some issues. They are quick to answer the phone and pleasant and the guy was in the Netherlands. They wanted me to post my projector to a service centre and pay £50 quid for an update that fixes faults. They finally agreed to do it for free but was a pia.

On a flip side of Benq support, when my 120hz monitor went, they did not want to know. So, there are good and back with all manufacturers.

Associate
So that is:

- Asus
- lg

And now Acer monitors which I won't touch... Looks like I am going to be in for a long wait till a free/g sync 21.9 1440 34" monitor arrives *sigh*

You can add Samsung to that list as well mate, I've been dealing with them and they're beyond useless. I've spent almost 2 hours this morning trying to figure out why they sent my monitor back (for the 4th time) without being repaired.
Overclockers have completely washed their hands off this despite having replaced the monitor once and through themselves and then dealing with the repair on the second occasion.
On the second occasion I was told they can only offer me a replacement of a different model or a refund if it's the 3rd time the monitor is being sent back.
Lo and behold the monitor died again and this time I was informed that Overclockers will only refund or change it for a different model if it's within the first 28 days of purchase. Completely contradicting their actions the last time I had to send it back.

I totally agree that monitor warranties are all over the place at the moment and I think from now on I'll be sticking to Dell and even then only if it's bought from the Dell store. There's not really much point in buying monitors from else where if the warranty is with the manufacturer anyway.

Associate
I would have gone nuts if that happened to me. I had to get my 27" ROG screen RMA'd after 6 months of ownership, and best thing was they sent me a replacement panel when they picked up the faulty one, so i was never left with no screen. Took a couple of day to sort out and aggro. free. So my experience with Asus was pretty positive.

Soldato
Good thread. Added ACER alongside LG on my list of monitors I'll never buy. Sure makes it easier in the future when it comes to deciding on a new monitor. Would ideally always go with Dell (buying direct, not through some third party band of thieves) but not until the IPS BLB is sorted once and for all.

Got a Samsung coming and the place I bought it from offer a 3 year warranty on all their monitors. Hopefully I won't need it but reading threads like this leaves me itching for a good old fashioned brawl.

Soldato
Sorry to hear of your hard time, I know exactly how these situations can make you feel angry and stressed etc.

Not to hijack or jump your thread or anything I had a similar story not so long back regarding BenQ and believe it or not Overclockers.

The long story short was that I bought two 32" BenQ monitors and one arrived with some white clouding on it, so immediately I contacted Overclockers who just seemed to dismiss me completely and pushed me in the direction of BenQ instead. BenQ offered to take my faulty one away and replace with a refurb unit, which came even worse than the one I sent (more dead pixels, electricity buzzing sound from the back etc really dangerous sounding). If I remember correctly I believe BenQ or Overclockers offered to collect mine again and replace with another refurb/used one which was also horrid. After a lot of pushing towards Overclockers they finally decided to replace mine with a new sealed unit which to my luck came with a couple of dead pixels on. I decided to just conclude the matter otherwise I would have been forever replacing bad monitors for equally or worse monitors.

In otherwords add BenQ to the list of monitors not to buy! Fortunately Overclockers got there customer in me back after an absolute farce, to this day I still have a dodgee BenQ monitor :mad:

Associate
Hi all i cant believe this thread has popped up just as i started to hopefully resolve my issues.

Friday evening my Dell U2715H developed a stuck red pixel just left of center of the screen.
Being where it is its very noticeable and i also noticed that the BLB was seemingly getting worse. I sent a message to Tech support here at OCUK (my monitor is 2months old) and credit to Bailey who answered early Sat Morning..but he told me its not a fault as it conforms to iso standard?? I expected this TBH and he did say sorry if this causes a problem..well yes it does ive a bright red stuck pixel in the middle of my screen..when i mentioned about the BLB being noticeable in a dark and even a light room i was told.."Is the monitor you ordered a IPS Screen, if so the BLB is called IPS glow and it is normal on this type of panel"...now i dont know if this is right?? any advice on this would be appreciated..But my question is "How do you know how bad it is" OCUK havent asked for any evidence ,photos anything to see the level of BLB "IPS glow" or whatever its called it feels to me like they sold me a monitor and basically there you go..ive had plenty of items from OC,all have been superb but on this issue im really cheesed off.

Now onto DELL..1 word so far awesome

Sent them my 1st email after seeing the tech message from Bailey
They work Mon-Fri 9-5..and 9.30 Monday morning received a reply asking me some straight forward questions.AND some pictures of the monitor..i sent 4 pictures and that was enough. All in all ive sent and received 3 emails from DELL all within a day an half, and Tomorrow i get my replacement monitor all tracked by UPS..so from Monday morning until Wednesday with Dell..ive gone from having a monitor with a red stuck pixel and BLB to hopefully (fingers crossed) a replacement monitor with no issues.Im not over the line yet,the replacement monitor may be worse but...Dell have been superb in everyway possible so far. A massive mention (because he deserves it) is to the person thats dealt with my issue from minute one is Titus Mathews from DELL..he,s been awesome..i dont know if you ever visit this forum but if you do Titus..thanks pal.

So i can only add my 2p worth..Dell have (at least to me) proved that there a great company to purchase Monitors from..do us a 27" + Freesync monitor Dell ..and id be all over it .

Final word to OCUK....OCUK if any of you guys read this maybe Bailey..how come you cant offer this support? the monitor was bought just over 2 months ago i paid good money for it why do I have to chase it up with Dell? Why not ask for pictures of my monitor to see how bad it is and deal with me? ( i live less than 2 miles away) from your Store im not mad with OCUK i just hope somebody can answer my questions.Thanks

Last edited:
Associate
Had 3 dell monitors replaced over the years, all next day swaps. Latest was an aoc which was a door swap. Next day was an issue due to stock, but they were good through the entire process. Definitely won't be buying an acer. Glad you got your money back though even if it is a royal pain in the are.

Associate
Had 3 dell monitors replaced over the years, all next day swaps. Latest was an aoc which was a door swap. Next day was an issue due to stock, but they were good through the entire process. Definitely won't be buying an acer. Glad you got your money back though even if it is a royal pain in the are.

Nice one Henson,were your Dell replacements all good monitors mate?
I just dont get why OCUK cant sort this though,why do we have to deal directly with the monitor companies when its OCUK who have our business? i dont get it pal

Associate
Varkanoid thank you for showing everyone and myself this issue, no doubt that its absolute garbage customer service :(

I am really sorry having to read about the troubles you've had with Acer. Your feedback has helped not to go for the Acer XB240 which I was very close on buying. I think I will stick with DELL and BenQ

Soldato

That is why I refuse to buy any monitor that isn't in the Dell UltraSharp range. The dead pixel guarantee is worth its weight in gold for me.

Associate
Good thread. Added ACER alongside LG on my list of monitors I'll never buy. Sure makes it easier in the future when it comes to deciding on a new monitor. Would ideally always go with Dell (buying direct, not through some third party band of thieves) but not until the IPS BLB is sorted once and for all.

Got a Samsung coming and the place I bought it from offer a 3 year warranty on all their monitors. Hopefully I won't need it but reading threads like this leaves me itching for a good old fashioned brawl.

Good luck with the Samsung monitors, I'm on my 4th one.

Soldato
OP
Geez just noticed this thread has been added to. I put it right out of my mind.
Not been in this section for a while as I got fed up of being branded an Acer basher or just causing arguements whenever I mentioned the issues with Acer CS.

I've had good experiences with BenQ and Samsung but I guess its horses for courses. I`m very happy with my Asus PG279Q although I think I got a good un.

Actually someone at work few weeks ago bought the Acer 34" Predator (not from OCUK) Freesync version and it had a vertical green line and dead pixels. So after a bit of two'ing and throwing with Acer (place he bought it from told him to ring Acer for warranty) they sent him a replacement and it was DOA and looked second hand as it was covered with finger prints. So he took it back to where he bought it and demanded his money back and they relented and he got a Dell. No issues with it.

Soldato
That is why I refuse to buy any monitor that isn't in the Dell UltraSharp range. The dead pixel guarantee is worth its weight in gold for me.

I'm starting to think this is the way forward... having been disgusted by the quality of the 32" VA panels that are on the market, I just want to buy something that is a) 99% likely to be perfect, and b) not a struggle to swap if it isn't.

Associate
Not really sure why Varkanoid's post got removed, he didn't insult Overclockers he just stated the fact Overclockers didn't help him and that's the exact same experience I've just had, I've also contacted customer services regarding this as well just before you tell me I should be contacting them if I have any issues.

Soldato
I'm starting to think this is the way forward... having been disgusted by the quality of the 32" VA panels that are on the market, I just want to buy something that is a) 99% likely to be perfect, and b) not a struggle to swap if it isn't.

Add me in too, seems like a risk with added anxiety buying any other monitor type.

I don't get the whole dead pixel policy thing, most companies will only accept returns if there are x amount of dead pixels and some need to be close together. In my view you are buying a monitor, tv whatever kind of display etc and it should be flawless. Obviously things can and do go wrong and it's inevitable for someone to buy a screen with dead pixels but the manufacturer/retailer should replace within warranty with no fuss or quarrels. Why does it seem like you have to jump through hoops of fire to get what should be a simple matter of a dead pixel on a monitor replaced?

If a company is selling and marketing a product, especially the more expensive displays they need to sort there acts out regarding dead pixel policies etc. Why should someone pay lots of money on a new monitor only for it to have a dead pixel on arrival and not be helped with a replacement etc?

Back
Top Bottom