ACER Monitors - my warranty hell and why you should NOT buy one

Soldato
OP
The whole monitor warranty thing seems to be a big can of worms. I was just looking at Dell Warranty and have a read at this I found on their webpage

Monitors with a service tag number purchased from resellers (CostCo, Walmart, Best Buy, Amazon, Buy.com, online store, etc.)
* The monitor service tag has to be in your name, address, phone, email, etc. before any warranty will be validated
* Go to this site and register the monitor service tag in your name. Once completed (15 business days), you will get an email from Dell stating that it is done
* Dell will provide a 3 year warranty starting from the manufacturer date embedded in the monitor 20 digit alphanumeric serial number. So if the reseller had it on their shelf for 6 months, you only get 2 1/2 years of warranty. This is the price you pay for not buying the monitor directly from Dell

Charming! So that means if you buy a Dell monitor from OCUK and they have had it in stock for 3 months then you would not get the full 3 year warranty! Bet people didnt know about that!

Soldato
The whole monitor warranty thing seems to be a big can of worms. I was just looking at Dell Warranty and have a read at this I found on their webpage

Charming! So that means if you buy a Dell monitor from OCUK and they have had it in stock for 3 months then you would not get the full 3 year warranty! Bet people didnt know about that!

That's quite standard for serial numbers to be honest.

However, when I ordered one from the rainforest and confirmed the date I purchased it on (so I'd get a brand new one instead of a refurb for a return) they handled it just fine. No complaints here. :)

Associate
Good news, happy ending at least...

Brought the wife a new Acer laptop 2 days before reading this thread, hope to god I don't have similar issues to you. Be sleeping in doghouse for rest of year :(

LOL, my whole adventure with Acer started in the same fashion, I bought my wife a laptop. Never again Acer, hope it will work for you, for me it didn't. She forgave me in the end, but I had to buy her very expensive Toshiba:)

Soldato
If you purchased from OcUK with the description in the website saying on site warranty then you will be fine.

They now have a legal obligation to offer you this service or offer a full refund if not.

Your statutory rights cover this.

Last edited:
Associate

This was a few years ago now so I cant remember all the details/time frames. But I brought a Dell U2410 from Overclockers.

It arrived with a few dead pixels so I started an RMA. Was told by Overclockers to deal with Dell as they had the zero pixel warranty (or what ever it was called) and Overclockers didn't, I thought fair enough so rang Dell, after a few hours on the phone I was firmly told I would not get a new monitor as a replacement and only a refurb due to my monitor being over 1 month old. By this point I had had the monitor for about 4 hours. This was due to them starting the countdown the moment they sent this batch off to Overclockers.

I agreed to have a replacement sent and not to have my original taken away on the advice of Overclockers. A day later the replacement arrives. Screen is fine but the button its screwed, stand and case scratched to bits. So my £400+, 1 day old monitor looked like it had been though a warzone. Safe to say I rang Dell again and had them pick up the one they sent me. After talking to Overclockers I ended up sending my original back under DSR and buying it again from Dells own store.

Though all of this Overclockers were fantastic but I don't think I would buy a dell from anywhere other then there own store, as they just don't seem to take resellers into account and the end user just ends up suffering. I have no idea if this has changed in the last few years.

Edit: Just looked at my support ticket with Overclockers. The replacement had at least one dead pixel in the very centre of the screen as well.

Last edited:
Associate
That is very sly if that is the case.

Still waiting an official response from Gibbo.

OCuk still have the warranty information up on their site so who knows

Soldato
OP
its been updated again with more info and a video and the spec/warranty is back still saying onsite warranty with Acer when clearly (in my case) it was not and going to be blunt but OCUK not done anything about it apart from email (why not ring?) Acer and if they havent had a reply by now I can tell you they will not get one.

Soldato
OP
I was just looking up some info about another thread when I chanced upon my case id for my monitor repair and they re-opened the case and its still open.

What are they upto now ?!

2hz021z.jpg

Soldato
We need an answer on warranty. I think i might get in touch with customer service. I bought this acer monitor based partly on onsite warranty sure others did.

Basically, if it turns out not to be on-site then you were missold the item and would, as far as I am aware be legally entitled to a full refund.

Soldato
OP
Should have included this with the initial post but this is the response you get when you first contact Acer and want to get your monitor fixed under Acer warranty. Please note this is the ONLY time I have ever received an email from Acer.

The instructions also are out of date as UPS do not accept the paper label any more they expect you to have a printed label sent to you and the URL mentioned is invalid. You have to go via the Acer Support page for updates. The phone number is also not exactly correct. Really from what I understand it the following instructions should be carried out by Acer and not the customer. TP Matrix is the third party repair centre Acer use. The bit in bold sums it up basically.

This is your Acer "on-site" warranty. :)

Dear Customer,

Thank you for contacting Acer UK.

Please send your product to our repair centre to fix it. We have logged a case for the repair of your product under the case ID number XXXXXXX.

By sending your product for repair, you agree to abide by the terms and conditions of the limited warranty included with your product. In accordance with the Terms and Conditions of our warranty, you are advised to sufficiently pack your product/component for transit. This means, the product has to have enough packaging (at least 5cm of bubble wrap around the whole product/component either side) and be in a suitable box (strong box not flimsy) to sustain the trip in a couriers van. If we receive your product with damage caused due to insufficient packaging, the repair will be chargeable.

To arrange for the collection of your product, please follow the steps given below:-

To arrange for the collection of your product, you will need to call our couriers, UPS, on 08457-877-877 (UK/Northern Ireland) and press 9, and then 1 // 1890 99 55 00 (Southern Ireland) and press *, and then 1. You will be required to answer some short questions. Please have access to the following information before calling:-

1) Provide the billing post code as XXX XXX

2) Account number is XXXXXXX

3) Your name

4) When asked if you are "Sending or Receiving", advise that you are returning it to the Matrix LTD TP House

5) If they ask if it’s an authorised return, say yes

6) If they ask if you have a parcel label, say no

7) Your telephone number

8) Your collection post code and building number

9) The service type is "Standard / One Parcel"

10) Package contents details: i.e. the model number of the product

11) Return delivery Address: TP Matrix LTD TP House, Prince of Wales Business Park, Vulcan Street, Oldham, Greater Manchester OL1 4ER

When sending the product:-

• Please do not send the original box with the product as all incoming boxes are recycled..

• On the box you send with, make sure the following details are written clearly:-

Our address details: TP Matrix LTD TP House, Prince of Wales Business Park, Vulcan Street, Oldham, Greater Manchester OL1 4ER

• Your case ID number (see above) or the serial number of the product and consignment number which courier will provide you.

• Make sure you send your product in, within a reasonable timeframe i.e. 1 month and keep the details handy for future reference.

• It might take 5-7 working days to repair the product depending upon the availability of the spare parts.

• You can check the progress of scheduled repair by visiting our website https://customercare.acer-euro.com/customercare/CaseStatus.aspx (Use the Case ID and post code which is registered in our records).

Please do not reply to this e-mail. Your e-mail will not be answered.

For further assistance please do not hesitate to e-mail or contact us on 0871 760 1000 (UK), 0818 202 210 (Eire).

Regards
Acer UK Online Technical Support Team

Last edited:
Associate
if you have to send the monitor away that is not in the slightest on-site.

According to Bailey on CS you just phone the number on the ocuk website and you get on-site support.

If not then yeah we are all being mis-sold the monitors and that's not right. I bought this monitor "knowing" it was on-site as I would not accept anything less.

Soldato
OP
If you think about it you cant really get onsite support. An engineer is not going to come out and take your monitor apart and replace the screen "onsite". The best you can get is a swap-out.
A) Its not confirmed as on-site and B) its not confirmed what type of support you get. You buy a monitor it turns up, read the warranty booklet and find you get standard limited warranty.
By then you have bought the monitor. Thing is if there is nothing wrong with it people won't bother chasing the warranty. Its only when things go Pete Tong that it hits home.

Just try it, pretend your monitor is faulty and see what happens. Ring Acer for a repair and just see what they say. You will either get the email above or an engineer will come out. Then you will know. You can then just cancel it the support call straight away.

Last edited:
Soldato
I Wanted to get the Acer XB270HU from OcUK and noticed the "on-site" warranty note and was expecting it... I had an ASUS monitor broke on me last year and they sent me a replacement the next day, and the driver just swapped mine with the replacement. That's what I came to expect as "on-site" warranty.

Two things:

1. The fact that Gibbo has not posted any updates here, combined with the fact that the status of the warranty on Acer monitors on OcUK still says "on-site", is certainly worrying and confusing. I think an update would be in order (I wouldn't order the XB270HU until we know more).

2. Has anyone actually purchased this "Acer Plus" warranty service, and can someone confirm that if we pay the £24.99 fee, can we expect them to swap our faulty monitor with another one very quickly?

Associate
After reading that wall of text :D it does seem very weird how much vark has had to run around after something which is not exactly cheap. (i find the whole acer plus service a joke when spending this amount of money too)

It seems that until ocuk/acer can provided proper support for acer products that buying them is going to be a nono (also very little info from ocuk themselves considering what went on)

Back
Top Bottom