** Acme [Akagi] bought a pink estate car - E30 325i project log! **

Even with a good few coats of clear on them?

I had my mazda wheels painted white with rattle cans.. they lasted fine.

it was 3 coats of primer, 3 of white and 3 of tough clear coat and they did not seem to chip/flake off at all. Sold them a while ago and paint was fine other than the kerb markings

Bring on the hate. :p

I was hoping it would sound a little deeper than this, but I put that down to the diameter of the pipe. The whole system is standard 1 & 3/4" including the rear straight pipes.

@grudas :D

Haha what a yobo! I do like it tho, you can participate in the rev offs now ;) mine doesn't sound as loud. Unless the camera makes it sound louder that in it is?

Its... Noisy. It sounds great when driving normally, a bit too loud when you put your foot down though. It droned quite badly at 70MPH with the stock exhaust, drone at 70MPH is now ridiculous, but its still fine crusing at 80MPH.

First time reading this thread, very nice car mate. I passed one of these the other day, in the same colour to, thinking to myself at that looks cool even today. I to tend have a soft spot for these as i have fond memories as kid when dad had an 325I coupe and was one of the first cars i my worked on when my dad first started to teach basic car maintenance at a young age.

First time reading this thread, very nice car mate. I passed one of these the other day, in the same colour to, thinking to myself at that looks cool even today. I to tend have a soft spot for these as i have fond memories as kid when dad had an 325I coupe and was one of the first cars i my worked on when my dad first started to teach basic car maintenance at a young age.

Thanks mate. :) I think they look pretty cool too. I get a few looks every now and then, occasional thumbs ups etc, especially around Brighton way! I personally think the 'shark nose' BMW's where the grille slopes forwards look even cooler. Like the E24 for example.

Thankfully they are quite easy to work on when compared to equivelant modern cars, but annoyingly they do still have quite a lot of tech to go wrong. Like my ABS issue which is driving me slowly insane! I've been chasing it around for ages and it keeps coming and going... :p

Right-o, I now have everything required for welding (aside from experience) - My new regulator, auto dimming mask, inert gas, new welding tips, 0.6mm welding wire, and of course the welder itself...

Item #1 on the agenda, fix the ******* exhaust. :p

I may give that a go today with pointers from a mate.

When was the last time you did something hands-on to your car nancy? :p

(Pretty much) :(
:D

I was planning on doing an oil change but I can't decide whether the extra £20 they want for the labour is worth saving for the sake of my worrying :p I enjoy tinkering but other when it's not with my car :p

Investigated a petrolly smell after brimming the tank, and discovered that the main seam on the petrol tank has failed due to rot and it is seeping petrol, so a new tank is in order... Bit of a pain to change it. Bah...

Just bought a map light mirror for £90. :eek:

Its going to look awesome. Very 80's, plus actually having a light in the front will be useful! :)

(not my car below:)

dTvHbUH.jpg
What is that thing on the windscreen? Dashcam or speedcamera detector? :p

Right-o, I now have everything required for welding (aside from experience) - My new regulator, auto dimming mask, inert gas, new welding tips, 0.6mm welding wire, and of course the welder itself...

Item #1 on the agenda, fix the ******* exhaust. :p

I may give that a go today with pointers from a mate.

You'll put more holes in the exhaust than it had before you started this whole process of silly pipes.

You've never welded before and you're going to just go right in a try to fix something with one...that will result in holes, believe me. If you won't want to listen to advice from people that have been in the same position and have bothered to go out and get training and experience doing these things then sure, I'll sod off. You can keep the roll eyes, clearly they are more appropriate for you and your approach to advice.

I think some practice on scrap would be a good idea :D

My first welding experience was an exhaust.
Looked crap and broke a few months later but at least my ugly welds were hidden under the car :)

Sounds woeful in your video Acme, so I doubt you will make it worse :p

Let us know how you get on with the welding and don't be tempted to "fix" that fuel tank. Lol

Back
Top Bottom