** Acme [Akagi] bought a pink estate car - E30 325i project log! **

Yes I will practice on scrap... Obviously.

I'm getting fed up with the lack of faith here. If you can't offer any constructive advice without being a jerk, go somewhere else.

And thanks @Holst1981

I won't try and fix the fuel tank lol :p

I have offered plenty and you've been a jerk as you put it by shrugging it off and saying you don't need to do xyz. Given the amount of ignorance you have towards constructive advice and avoiding it you sure do put a lot of time into picking up on the times when people get fed up with you.

I take the advice which is needed and valid, gratefully. I have done on countless occasions. If you want to ignore that, pick out the few times I shrugged it off, and paint me to be some ungrateful child, then be my guest. But don't post about it in here.

It's not even midday and you have set about sabotaging my mood. Thanks.

Sabotaging your mood?

Get a grip dude, you are a grown man. Just crack on with your car, take the advice you like and ignore the advice you don't, but don't have a little diva strop online, it isn't very dignified.

As for the welding. Welding under a car, upside down, is much harder than welding on a bench. Is it practical/possible to unbolt the exhaust and weld it on the bench and then fit the whole thing in one? Not possible obviously if the exhaust goes over the axle or something. Oh and practice. Exhaust boxes are thin, exhaust pipes are thick - that's an instant recipe for blowing holes.

It's not even midday and you have set about sabotaging my mood. Thanks.

Lmao, Acme man do what you want. But do practise on stuff first. A many a time I have done something first time round and thought, well I should have practised first.

Rome wasn't built in a day lad.

I'm not going to make a structural weld, it's on a socket join just to fill the gap to stop it blowing :p

And I AM practicing first. I've filled up my small sheet of steel with weld beads, some were good, some were not. Just fiddling with the settings. Tomorrow I'm buying some spare tips and some sheet metal to continue practicing.

Nobody said you were making a structural weld, not that it makes any difference - welding under a car is difficult and annoying, doesn't matter whether you are trying to put a blob on a seam or trying to fit a full still.

Found out today its harder than it looks but I think I still did alright, going to do some more practice welds tomorrow. The mistake I made was that the tutorials I watched were all welding to thick steel, and thin steel just burns through if you try and weld it like that, theres an entirely different method for thin sheet steel... So tomorrow I shall do that! Muahahahahaa.

Yes indeed and I at least want mine to be acceptable.

Bought some sheet steel from an ex customer for cheap. Plenty for practicing and hopefully for doing some repairs with too.

Friend for scale. :p

[pic removed]

Last edited:
Finally fixed my ABS issue, it was the nearside rear sensor as I suspected. It took me three hours to get the old sensor out of the hub, it broke apart and I had to pull all the copper windings out, followed by the core, then the metal sleeve... I broke a chisel, a drill bit, and a metal punch in the process, and cut my wrist on the brake disk backplate...

But the replacement sensor is in, I've driven 59 or so miles, braked in several different ways, did a few emergency stops, and all was well. No abs light, no funny noises, no juddering, no locking up! :)

A new issue has reared up instead now. The propshaft is rubbing in the mid box heatshield... annoying! Will have to investigate. :p

Finally fixed my ABS issue, it was the nearside rear sensor as I suspected. It took me three hours to get the old sensor out of the hub, it broke apart and I had to pull all the copper windings out, followed by the core, then the metal sleeve... I broke a chisel, a drill bit, and a metal punch in the process, and cut my wrist on the brake disk backplate...

Scars on wrist and thumb from those backplates... get very sharp!

Having welded new. Ills and floor pans into a car with about 20 minutes practice I think some here are overstating the Complexity!

I think some comes down to the kit your using.

I work next to a welding supplier and they let me have a go and it was much much easier to do a good job with a decent welder that's setup correctly.
I had a nice old Clarke thing that I never managed to get great results from, but it did the job.

I'm expecting ACME to do a better job than I could.
His welder looks better than mine and I didn't really know what I was doing.

Bought some more gas, spent some time today practising with a friend. Welds now starting to look pretty good if I do say so myself, definitely good enough for the simpler repair jobs on the car. Going to speak to a family friend, the "Master welder" soon to see if he can lend a hand with my learning. :)

I also checked all the connections on all the ABS sensors and cleaned them with contact cleaner, issue still there... Next step is individually testing all the sensors while wiggling the wires, then failing that, taking all the disks off and cleaning all the ABS rings with a wire brush... Failing that, it will be time to trace the wires and continuity test etc...... Really hope it doesn't come to that because I have an MOT to pass in a few months! :p

Ordered a new fuel tank, and various hoses.

Replaced the door sensor and now the interior light comes on when the drivers door is opened for the first time since ive owned it.

Redid a bit of shoddy wiring for the door/lights siren.

Fitted a replacement window scraper trim also on the drivers door.

Fitted my spare sunroof seal so i can now use it without the seal falling apart :p

Fitted a better condition boot badge and rear nearside centre cap badge.

ABS issue seems to have gone away on its own... So now I'm constantly worried about it. :p

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom