** Acme [Akagi] bought a pink estate car - E30 325i project log! **

Caporegime
OP
Don't turbo that engine, get an S54 in there.

Also, 136bhp to 400bhp with a turbo? That's going to drive like poop on track, surely?

No I don't want to swap the engine, the M20 has to stay. And its 170HP. These engines love boost. It won't be used on track aside from strip racing and I'll have high and low boost settings. Daily mode of about 300bhp I expect. :p

Caporegime
OP
Hah! Presume you're going to do a full Stage 0 on the engine before bolting that lot on right? Especially if you're going to the trouble of having head off.

Not sure what a "stage 0" is? But it will have new plugs, leads, full service, and the cooling system will be replaced before then as well which will consist of radiator, hoses, stat, water pump, and it would make sense to do the timing belt as well even though it is quite new.

Soldato
Not sure what a "stage 0" is? But it will have new plugs, leads, full service, and the cooling system will be replaced before then as well which will consist of radiator, hoses, stat, water pump, and it would make sense to do the timing belt as well even though it is quite new.

That is a stage 0, well, plus dizzy cap + rotor if you have it and fuel filter. If you're removing the timing belt to do heads then yes you must replace timing belt.

Caporegime
OP
Its been the plan for a while. I figured out that turboing it is cheaper than making it a 2.7/2.8 with decent headers etc... That and a few months of M20 turbo YouTube videos and people offering assistance to get it turbo'd made me think stuff it.

I also changed tack on the respray plans which is saving me a shed load of money compared to what I originally budgeted for it...

I had budgeted 2.5K for welding repairs and got it done for 1K, albeit not to the same standard but it will do. And I had budgeted 3K for a colour change respray but have opted for a 1K same colour blowover to tidy it up instead.

It's not going to be concourse or a high value example so I thought sod it.

Soldato
Maybe if you fully rebuild it prior to whacking 20lbs of boost on it but I'm thinking on an older, high mileage engine you're going to experience issues.

Remember, something WILL go wrong when you add a turbo to a car that didn't originally have one, it always does.

Caporegime
OP
Acme, all good on well on the power front. What if your car starts falling to bits at that power though?

Don't see why it would. Its rock solid now. Has various new bushes, the others are all fine and look to have been replaced already, most of the gaskets have been done, gearbox seals have been done, the shocks, springs, top mounts, drop links, and engine mounts will all be changed prior to this as well, brake lines have been done, and disks and pads will be upgraded when they get changed in the near future, it will have a new radiator, coolant pipes, water pump, stat and belts.

Only current sticking points are the ABS which I obviously want to be working prior to slapping double the power through it, and the rear subframe bushes, one of which has a little bit of play and both of which are very worn.

Maybe if you fully rebuild it prior to whacking 20lbs of boost on it but I'm thinking on an older, high mileage engine you're going to experience issues.

Remember, something WILL go wrong when you add a turbo to a car that didn't originally have one, it always does.

Plenty of people have done just that and had no issues. Things may well go wrong, but I'm not expecting anything drastic to go wrong. I probably won't even bother to change the head gasket... Just swap the head bolts and torque them down one at a time. Leave it undisturbed. Plenty of people have done that with zero issues as well. Shock horror!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom