** Acme [Akagi] bought a pink estate car - E30 325i project log! **

First bath in 6 months or so I suppose!
MOT in the morning!

Had to clay the whole car, and do several passes on every panel, because of the amount of metal dust that had latched onto it... Also had to wet sand a couple of bits because of overspray...

EZ49K2E.jpg

KZzYIQO.jpg

WneeAIF.jpg

So it failed cos your ABS doesn't work, you then got him to clear it and promptly retested it. Knowing that the ABS issue will come back on about 5 minutes later? Where do people find these friendly MOT testers.

Got to say congrats on beating off the rust though, not even a minor on that.

Just build up a relationship, not always money! Been using the same guys in our family for 20+ years. Never had any issues even with things like HID's in reflectors etc

Had another tester who used to pass anything for £100 (rust, emissions etc included) but not a fan of using him.

It wasn't dodgy dodgy. I didn't exactly get it through with worn this and rotten that and broken this and illegal that etc. I just got him to turn the ignition off, wait a few seconds, and turn it back on. Oh look, no light. :p

Going to re-test all the sensors tomorrow, and get the ABS ECU and relay out, clean the connections, check the wires etc, and spray a load of brake cleaner on the ABS rings...

I've noticed that the light now comes on as soon as the speedo moves off the stop, so as soon as I hit 10MPH. So I think it is a wheel sensor or a dirty ring ( :eek: ) after all. Just need to find the one.

You were told to check all that ages ago. How hard is it to clean up the ABS rings with a little brush :rolleyes:

Not hard at all to clean them.

Quite hard to actually get to them without disassembling a lot of things. Especially on the back. Caliper and disk has to come off, handbrake shoe assembly has to come out, brake disk backplates have to come off (which will disintegrate and I'll need to buy new ones) and then I think you can see the rings, which are part of the driveshafts. Best I did last time is spray loads of brake cleaner on them through a little hole.

Back
Top Bottom