** Acme [Akagi] bought a pink estate car - E30 325i project log! **

Not sure why anyone is getting upset about a factual observation.
M539 restores cars with an intrinsic speciality, or value. This faded wreck does not seem to meet that criteria.
The reason I posed the question is that if perhaps it was a family heirloom, or there was a special sentimental connection which warranted literally spending tens of thousands of pounds on it, I could understand, but this level of commitment to what appears to be a regular run of the mill, boggo standard old rotbox.... is the reason I asked if I was missing something.
You even make fun of the car in the signature with "the ultimate rusting machine" etc!
If there was a medical reason behind it like OCD or something, I could totally understand.
From my perspective being a bit of a British classic car fan, it would be like dedicating my life to restoring a regular old Rover 75 1.8 poverty spec, instead of getting my hands on something more interesting and unique like a ZT260 or suchlike....

That just shows how clueless you are. A BMW E30 is a cult classic, and a 325i with a manual box and a limited slip differential is the big daddy.

Are we finished? :p

I had a quick stalk of your profile, I can't see that you've added anything constructive to this forum since you joined... I'd be more careful if you want to stick around. :)

Last edited:
Im clueless? Yet I'm not the one wasting tens of thousands on something that looks like it should be scrapped.
I will leave it there, obviously a sensitive subject for some reason.
Wish you all the best with the never ending battle against corrosion, been there, done that, its a lifelong commitment, it never ends.

Last edited:
Im clueless? Yet I'm not the one wasting tens of thousands on something that looks like it should be scrapped.
Wish you all the best with the never ending battle against corrosion, been there, done that, its a lifelong commitment, it never ends.
I think I gave you a warning a few days ago for your postings and asked you to tone it down?

Clearly it’s a keeper. Guy has owned it for years and years. It probably by now has a lot of sentimental value. Does it make sense financially? No, but restoring old cars, unless they’re rare one off Ferraris never makes sense. It’s a hobby and attachment and also the fun of saving an older car and enjoying it when everything around you gets touch screens and 24” alloys. If you don’t get it, it’s fine. But screaming that he’s wasting his money etc is just silly. Just accept that it isn’t a you thing and move on.

Last edited:
giphy.gif

:cry:

I hope you don't stop posting here as I'd be very interested to find out how much it costs you in Poland and exactly what you end up getting done to it. My wife's family own a bodyshop over here and their work is dirt cheap, albeit not concours quality (I'd say a 7/10 job). I've been thinking about how rusty classic cars in the UK are worth so little due to the extremely high cost of bodywork and how it might make sense to import a couple over here, restore them and sell them on. I just have little knowledge of how much these repairs generally cost in Europe, and what is actually involved in the process. Cutting out rusty metal, welding in new metal and painting doesn't seem that complicated to me but I know it must be, or it wouldn't cost so much.

I hope you don't stop posting here as I'd be very interested to find out how much it costs you in Poland and exactly what you end up getting done to it. My wife's family own a bodyshop over here and their work is dirt cheap, albeit not concours quality (I'd say a 7/10 job). I've been thinking about how rusty classic cars in the UK are worth so little due to the extremely high cost of bodywork and how it might make sense to import a couple over here, restore them and sell them on. I just have little knowledge of how much these repairs generally cost in Europe, and what is actually involved in the process. Cutting out rusty metal, welding in new metal and painting doesn't seem that complicated to me but I know it must be, or it wouldn't cost so much.
It isn't complicated unless you want it done properly.
For example my entire car was welded back together for about £1000 by a friend of a friend on my driveway at home

I then protected it with lots of paint and seam sealer and underseal and the majority of the repairs are still "fine" 5+ years later, but the quality of the work is poor.
So poor in fact that a few bits need redoing for cosmetic reasons before it can be painted.

I think your idea could very well be a profitable one, depending on transportation costs... Or at the very least, a cheap way for you to get into a very nice old classic.
I saw an extremely rotten Mark 2 Jag sell for £1500 complete the other week.

Last edited:
Have you put any bags of sand in the back, or thats what the furniture does, the rwd pre-traction/earlier-gen, make them an engaging drive on current dirty roads in Cambs, versus newer refined models.

( People spend a lot of money on a new car PCP, so I don't see the maintenance equation so imbalanced, equally, refined, nice place to be interiors, that's subjective )

Have you put any bags of sand in the back, or thats what the furniture does, the rwd pre-traction/earlier-gen, make them an engaging drive on current dirty roads in Cambs, versus newer refined models.

( People spend a lot of money on a new car PCP, so I don't see the maintenance equation so imbalanced, equally, refined, nice place to be interiors, that's subjective )

Haha no extra weight in the back. The roads have been a little slippy lately though yes!

Yeah I could have easily lost more in depreciation than I have by being in old cars. The Toyota Crown felt like a very extravagant purchase until someone pointed out that some people spend more on a brand new Peugeot 108... :p

Great to see some updates :)
Wholly approve of the HubNut sticker :D

Had to be done!

Last edited:
Its a lot more than a re-spray I've asked for. Quite extensive welding too. A sill, rear quarter, complete removal of the sunroof, and 5 or 6 little bits here and there, as well as undersealing it all. The respray (in non standard colour), as well as re-finishing all the black trims in matte black.

I am expecting a quote in the region of £10K including transportation and redelivery. Any less and I will be pleasantly surprised. The place I am waiting to hear back from isn't in the UK, but it is my first choice shop. The one Sreten from M539 Restorations uses, in Poland. If he is satisfied with the quality of their work, I will be too. All I've heard about body shops around here are horror stories.

I am hopeful that exchange rates and shop rate differences will be in my favour.

If it comes in at under that figure there are some other things I will ask them to take care of at the same time. Such as fabricating a new exhaust, and possibly some small mechanical jobs too.

It will take me from easily being able to get my investment back, to having very little chance of that. But thats okay. I don't plan on getting rid of it.

Interested to know how much a mote simple same colour respray costs in Eastern Europe. £10k sounds a lot to me but I guess you're having lots of extra things done.

[/QUOTE]
Interested to know how much a mote simple same colour respray costs in Eastern Europe. £10k sounds a lot to me but I guess you're having lots of extra things done.

I will be extremely pleased if you are right.

However, I wouldn't be surprised if his business has looked into pricing in other countries, and increased their rates somewhat, after the business Sreten has no doubt generated for them.

If it is £6K I will do a happy skip and a jump. But I imagine the transport will cost a fair amount too.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom