Airfix

Associate
I have been building the Tamiya 1/12th scale motorbikes.
You may have problems obtaining Tamiya metallic paint at the moment as it had all been withdrawn due to labelling issues.
I'm just finishing a Honda RC30, have completed a Ducati WSB. I have still got a couple more to go through.
The only problems I have is with the decals, the larger ones always tear when I'm tranferring them to the model :(

Caporegime
Just bought a Tamiya 1/35 Panther (35065) :D

Anyone know of a cheap place to get the paints, I've had a look but nowhere seems that cheap.

All the local model shops around here do the little Humbrol tins for around 75p each. Not sure if you can get them cheaper on the net anywhere.

We'd better have pics of that tank as well once you've painted/built it. :)

Permabanned
All the local model shops around here do the little Humbrol tins for around 75p each. Not sure if you can get them cheaper on the net anywhere.

We'd better have pics of that tank as well once you've painted/built it. :)

I actually use "auto" paint that I decant in to jars. :D

IMG_0095.jpg

Permabanned
My brother built a model of the HMS Victory. Then quite some time later put it in the bath and set it alight!! We were only teenagers at the time!!

Soldato
For those who like to build or are looking to get into building scale model cars or bikes then check out Hiroboy.com

http://www.hiroboy.com/catalog/

Be warned.... He has a heck of a lot of really tempting race car models, and paints to build some rather nice examples...

I've spent a fair few quid in the past. He does a range of colour matched paints that he mixes up himself to allow you to obtain that perfect Aston Martin DBR9 racing green, or McLaren Racing Red etc and sells a lot of top end Model Factory Hiro race car /bike kits...

As I said I have warned you, its the OC.UK of scale model cars and bike builders.

Associate
if i had the money or the inclination at the moment i'd buy this:

http://www.modelzone.co.uk/tamiya_german_battleship_bismarck-details.htm

my first ever scale model was the bismark, i spent my entire birthday putting it together (i think i was 11 or 12?).

i spend more time with these
http://www.flamesofwar.com/online_store.aspx
these days, they're easier to put together and i can relax and play a few games with some friends over a drink and discuss the war (for a 3rd party perspective of course :p)

wow.

Soldato
Modelling is great, for me it's planes + heli's and armour.

All kit makers are good and bad, best thing to do is pick an item you wanna build then google search eg "best 1:72 a-10" and you will soon find the most accurate, fitting etc etc, dont dismiss a make as they all make good and bad kits, if they arnt the same kit just reboxed.

Few of my recent amateur builds

corsair-2.jpg

f-117-1.jpg

hurricane-4.jpg

sherman4.jpg

Couple of items i really think are great are "Klear" and "Pro Modellers Weathering Wash"

Klear is like a sealent, varnish, helps put decals on etc and can applied neat to finish a model with a sheen or flattened down with some taimya flat coat.

http://www.promodeller.com/promodellers-weathering-wash/ go here for wash info, its amazing stuff.

Got a Revell Gr.1 Tornado on the go currently, great kit.

Soldato
Forgot about this thread. You really need to get an airbrush of description, preferably double action which means you can contol the amount of paint being applied to the plastic surface, hence enabling a finer finish (and more accurate), this also means no brush marks at all. All parts can be sprayed before removal from the sprue, varnished, washed in a suitable colour, drybrushed then built up into the various subassemblies (cockpit tub, wheelbays, undercarriage legs, etc).
Another advantage of airbrushing is time saving, instead of using a bristle brush, you just blat the whole area of plastic in the correct colour and, voia, job done.
Also use the right type of paint too, I use "hannants xtracolor", accurate colours, quick drying, gloss finish so no silvering when decals are applied, and allows a finer finsh when dry ('cos the paint granules are about a quarter of the size of the granules in matt paint, so the airbrush doesn't clog when trying to do a very fine feathered edge):)

Associate
may have just gone slightly ott :eek: but just ordered the following as there are some very good prices at modelzone on some revell gear, still at least I managed to avoid buying the 4 foot u boat :p

4256162386_b2befe5396_o.jpg

not bad i say for just over £60 :D , they are all half price or less at the moment btw

Soldato
hehe, nice order, the sopwith camel is one of my favourite planes.

looking at joining in the fun soon, seriously considering some tamiya 1:35 sd.kfz 251s as well as russian KVs for use with my imperial guard (40k (lol!)) the GW vehicles are twice the price for less detail and less of a fun build, we shall see, 20 days until payday either way :(

Back
Top Bottom