Airfix

Man of Honour
I've almost finished my first build in years - an Airfix 1:72 Kittyhawk. Just a very basic and novice attempt but I am struggling with a couple of things. Firstly, how on earth do you paint the canopies on these tiny models? I've looked up masking and such like but I can't manage it in such a tiny amount of room. Secondly, I've got some areas where paint brush marks are visible and it looks a bit amateur but I can't really improve it. I've applied several coats now. I've got some modeller wash in the post and I will apply that to certain areas to improve the look hopefully. But I'd really like an airbrush/compressor but they are very expensive :(

My list of essentials :-

000 paint brush!
files!
acrylic paint rather than enamel - Easier to remove if you over-paint!! :D

Soldato
I've almost finished my first build in years - an Airfix 1:72 Kittyhawk. Just a very basic and novice attempt but I am struggling with a couple of things. Firstly, how on earth do you paint the canopies on these tiny models? I've looked up masking and such like but I can't manage it in such a tiny amount of room. Secondly, I've got some areas where paint brush marks are visible and it looks a bit amateur but I can't really improve it. I've applied several coats now. I've got some modeller wash in the post and I will apply that to certain areas to improve the look hopefully. But I'd really like an airbrush/compressor but they are very expensive :(

My list of essentials :-

000 paint brush!
files!
acrylic paint rather than enamel - Easier to remove if you over-paint!! :D

Ok, canopy masking. Not difficult - Firstly you need Tamiya masking tape, not ordinary masking Tape - Tamiya stuff. It is of a far higher quality than your average stuff. you apply a strip of tape to the canopy, and rub it down firmly so you can clearly see al lthe framing under the tape. Now take a brand new craft blade and carefully cut along all of the framing, follwing the shape of each window. When you are done you should be able to remove the tape covering the frame , leaving all of the windows masked with nice sharp edges. Then it is just a case of spraying your chosen paint scheme over the top and removing the masks at the end. Its a good idea to spray black as the first coat as this is what you will see on the inside of the canopy frames when you remove all the masking at the end.

Needless to say the effect works best with spraying - less so with brush painting but if you use Tamiya tape and the technnique above you'll get a good result.

I used Tamiya tape to mask the canopy of my B-2 Stealth bomber as wel las all of the RAM effects on the aircraft skin

Pic1.jpg

Pic4.jpg

Pic7.jpg

Secondly brush painting is always going to give you a less than perfect finish I'm afraid, some brush painters use a layer of Johnsons Klear floor polish over their paintjobs even things up, also you can try using very fine sanding paper to even the paintwork up, but largely its down to how you apply it and the quality of materials. Lifecolor and Citadel do very good acrylic paint that brush paints very evenly and smoothly in my experience. Best advice, get a cheap compressor and beginner airbrush - you won't look back ;)

Man of Honour
Hey thanks for the advice! Okay, I have some Tamiya masking tape here. It's small stuff, but I can use that. Did I read that correctly - you mask 'inside' the canopy and paint inside rather than outside? :confused:

The paint job will have to suffice. I think it will look okay once I have weathered it a bit. But I have yet to receive my pro modellers wash, god knows where that is.

Soldato
Hey thanks for the advice! Okay, I have some Tamiya masking tape here. It's small stuff, but I can use that. Did I read that correctly - you mask 'inside' the canopy and paint inside rather than outside? :confused:

No no , all masking and painting is done on the outside of the canopy, its just a good idea to use black as your first coat because when your remove the masks at the end, this will be the paint you see on the inside of the canopy frames - you want this to be black in many cases as the inside of the canopy frame is often black ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
What are the best online shops to buy the kits and accessories i am fed up getting ripped off over here in Ireland for these items.

As you are in Ireland I highly recommend www.netmerchants.co.uk, brilliant online trader and ultra fast delivery :)

Try www.modelhobbies.co.uk aswell, round about the same price as netmerchants, if a little cheaper on some items.

Lying in my stash I have

Tamiya 1/32 F16
Academy 1/32 F18
Trumpeter 1/32 Su27 Flanker
Trumpeter 1/35 Hind M24
Hasegawa 1/350 Nagato Battleship with wooden deck and photo etch parts
Hasegawa 1/350 Akagi Carrier with wooden deck and photo etch parts
Italeri 1/35 P100 S-Boat with crew and photo etch parts.

I bet the Nagato and Akagi will look great when they are done especially with the aftermarket stuff you've got. :) I did a Tamiya 1/700 HMS Repulse with PE, looked great until the g/f dropped it :(

Really tempted to get the 1/350 Repulse, depsite the price.

Last edited:
Associate
Howdy,

Just bumping this thread to get a bit of assistance please. I'm trying to find a model helicopter for my brother, maybe an Apache or Tiger, and I was wondering if anybody would have recommendations as to good sets?

Thanks in advance.

Revell 1/48 Apache is a good kit

Associate
I've started to spray my spitfire - and it doesn't look too shabby! I will post pics when I have finished. I still can't do the canopy though!

Can you tell me what compressor / airbrush kit you bought as I am still on the
brushes atm so I would be interested in how you find it.

Man of Honour
Can you tell me what compressor / airbrush kit you bought as I am still on the
brushes atm so I would be interested in how you find it.

Of course. I phoned up everything airbrush and had a chat with them. They suggested I go with a H&S dual-action Evolution and the AS186 compressor with tank. They gave me a free 1.8m hose and fittings, and I bought a quick-release for it which is essential in my eyes. I also got some Createx airbrush cleaner. The tank on the compressor is also essential for modelling as it prevents pulse which can ruin a model, plus it allows you to run silently for a brief time which is a nice bonus. I've been experimenting with the airbrush and so far so good really. It's a little awkward at first, but I've achieved better results already than I would with a brush! It was quite an expensive airbrush so I guess you get what you pay for.

Associate
Anyone know who does the best large BAC lightning kit?

ie most detail!

really want one for my desk!

Trumpeter do 2 versions of the Lightning in 1/32 probably around the £80 - £90 mark.

Best to google some review / builds to see how they scored.

Don't think you can get it in 1/24.

Associate
Howdy,

Just bumping this thread to get a bit of assistance please. I'm trying to find a model helicopter for my brother, maybe an Apache or Tiger, and I was wondering if anybody would have recommendations as to good sets?

Thanks in advance.

Trumpeter also do a 1/35 Hind Mi24 if you fancy something bigger

Associate
I've started to spray my spitfire - and it doesn't look too shabby! I will post pics when I have finished. I still can't do the canopy though!

C'mon get the photo's up ;)

I really want to get an airbrush before doing some of my bigger stuff but I am scared of spending £200 and not be able to use it.

About 50% of my way through the 1/32 Zero atm so I will see what it is like once I have finished prior to deciding which way to go.

Back
Top Bottom