***AKG Q701 Official Owners Thread***

Associate
Ahhh HD800 another headphone I dislike a little :p They are such a technically sound headphone though they are impressive! Senn really did well at making the cups dome over your ears to create the sense of atmosphere

They were insane plugged into my mixamp.

Caporegime
The Q701 being offered at the price it was the price/performance ratio was off the chart.

The reason why the Q701 doesn't get as much love as the X1 here is because it is a more expensive headphone (to buy in the UK) and very hard to power.

The X1 can be driven off anything. The Q701 needs a decent AMP.

Soldato
It's overpriced IMO when you consider the similar sounding 702 is £160, some say the 702 sounds better or the same. Build quality is not the best either, all plastic, compared to the X1 it looks so cheap. But hey it's the sound quality that counts.

Associate
Build on the AKGs is excellent! Never had one break or heard any breaking, X1 can't say the same ;)

The 702 right now is a very good deal but in headphone s the smallest changes can be £100+

Associate
Agree on the build with AKG, just wish they used some more premium materials. Not that it really matters. Did you have a bad experience with an X1 breaking? I think the build on them is fantastic.

Associate
I found the build pretty good personally but one of my drivers started to sound not even so exchanged them. I also know there were a few reports of there some weak spots that had breaking issues, not sure if Philips addressed this early?

Personally I never judge long term build quality until after quite a few years. AKG I can vouch for having excellent build for long periods of time. AKGs are solid plastic and have very few movng parts and this is an excellent combination for a long term phone.

Plus I hate metal on my headphones it just adds to the weight!

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Well I'm eager to check out how these compare to the X1 directly both modded and unmodded.

The price was a bargain but never thought the lime would be way more costlier than the black or white! I've gone for the white anyway.

Even at the RRP of the X1 loads of people including myself think they're worth the money, it just so happens that they've been in the £150~ region for so long that so many people have jumped on them when they could and are enjoying them. It's not every day you come across a headphone that's so easy to drive and delivers an all round fun and pleasing audio experience all over the range.

Caporegime
The Q701 excels with competitive gaming. If you have the X1 and you like it your not going to like this for music unless it's classical, etc.

Anything with Bass and you will want to use the X1.

If your looking for something similar to the X1 then I don't see the point tbh if you already have the X1, this was a great deal for people without the X1 and wanted something similar they could buy this and do the bass mod.

I will be keeping mine stock and using it for competitive gaming.

Soldato
Actually have read a lot of reviews that state they are great for more genres than just classical, rock for instance and other music that favours mids.

These as I understood it seemed a great deal period, if only to experience how good headphones do a more neutral sound, how can you know you truly love a pair of headphones until you have tried others.
You used ice cream to describe headphones so I will too, as you try different flavour ice creams you experience new tastes that you may not have known you would enjoy, only by trying them do you know if you have found your perfect flavour.

If you cant loose money then it would be silly to not try them, if I do not like them then some lucky person will have a chance at the same great deal I did that they may have not known about or were not in a position to take advantage of + i get to try new headphones. Everyones a winner :D

Caporegime
oh yeah, I opted for lime too. £300 here it's a no brainer to buy these and sell them on if you don't like them.

these are very different to the X1 so it's crazy to try and compare as you say different flavours.

i will try them out for music just to see how well they do and to see exactly what their signature is like compared to my HD600's.

I pretty much have all my bases covered now. I will be modding my HD558's to 598, other than that the only mod I shall be doing is the damping mod on the HD25's.

It's crazy how big the price gap is compared to the USA, they get stuff like this for pennies all the time, have you seen how cheap the momentums are? Crazy prices you cannot lose at these prices, i'm glad I found this site tbh, they do lots of other stuff too, I liked the look of those silk cuff links too.

Bring on delivery is all I can say, hoping I miss customs.

Soldato
Be interesting to see who dodges it and who doesn't. Hopefully I'll have my amp by the time they arrive. I'm opting for the O2 and internal dac for it. DiY hobby.

If I do have to move them on I might try the hd650 if they show up for a decent price. They are reviewed as having a warm bass sound. or ill pony up for some bookshelf and a enclosure for my gainclone.

Caporegime
build quality of sennheiser is really bad IMO, their drivers however are amazing. their build quality has decreased over the years are their prices increase.

HD650's are £250 now.

the foam they attach to the headband is cheap crap, looks really awful the HD600 and HD650 are on the same level. HD600 focusing on neutral signature. HD650 has more bass and less treble.

i've been really impressed by the vocals the HD600's produces, if you like the sound signature of the X1 definitely go for the 650.

Caporegime
1st thing I noticed on the X1's was the build quality over my Sennheiser's. I've heard AKG have excellent build quality as well, could be tempted later in the year to try their K702 65th Anniversary Editions.

Back
Top Bottom