***AKG Q701 Official Owners Thread***

Caporegime
1st thing I noticed on the X1's was the build quality over my Sennheiser's. I've heard AKG have excellent build quality as well, could be tempted later in the year to try their K702 65th Anniversary Editions.

if sennheiser had used their 650 driver in the X1, they would want like £1000 for it no doubt.

the difference in build quality is astounding, I find people usually only mention positives on headphones that they own. negatives are never mentioned.

the X1's are far from perfect but their build quality is probably one of the best in the world. i'll see what the AKG are like for myself judging by pictures though they look a lot better than sennheiser.

Associate
I find nothing wrong with my 650 build. It's solid and replaceable! One of those people who thinks the 650 is a bit better then the 600. They seem to pick out micro details better even though they're fuller. I think the 650 improved the 600s issues and made the perfect headphone. Love both though!

Soldato
I have HD650s and I don't treat them like the crown jewels and I have never had any qualms with the build quality I think they're fine.

Caporegime
Well when I look at my HD600's I see cheap foam, flimsy looking materials. it's pretty much the Ikea of headphones.

Look good but when you inspect them and look up close they will do the job but build quality is suspect for the price you pay.

Compare directly with the fidelio X1 and you wonder why they are so expensive. The when you put them on you know why, it's the drivers.

Sennheiser aren't built like tanks like the fidelio x1 is. Sure it should last 10 years if you look after them and change the earpads when worn. But I don't exactly feel secure about their strength, the materials used and how they look up close.

The headband is a major sticking point and the tacky foam they have tacked on, it looks and feels cheap. would have preferred if they had covered it with some material or used some other method of padding.

The headband on panasonic HTF600's is superior in comfort and looks (£28 headphones), in fact I would say build quality is on a similar level to them and they never filled me with confidence either. The only area where you can see high build quality on sennheisers are the grills, wiring and drivers.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Sennheisers have never really been the focus point for epic build quality or high end materials. They are fine and will still stand the test of time but there is a distinct difference when you pick up the X1 and feel the machined aluminium, heavy duty casing and quality padding.

The 600/650 have better use of the headband padding unlike the other models that have fake leather like vinyl that cracks over time and loses feel but even still, light thin plastic is the way they are.

Ultimately it doesn't matter a huge deal as they're lightweight and very comfortable and the sound is excellent so people tend to care little but when you look at how the prices have gone up over the years, it makes you wonder where your extra cash is going and one of the reasons why cans like the X1 feels like such a good deal all things considered as they sound great and are built better than headphones costing twice as much in every physical area.

I'm hoping the Q701 are equally as nicely built because if I keep them alongside the X1 then I want them both to continue feeling like new wherever they're being used.

Associate
Always judge build with quality long term. 600/650 are tested and so is the DT770, K series, HD25 series. I'm confident that if I buy one I'm getting something for life.

All these newer metal headphones X1, V moda M100, Hifiman and even woodies like the LCD2 don't have the track record for long term durability.

Sure metal headphones feel solid but all these companies always seem to leave weak spots! It's also amazing how they can't seem to go 4 years without something happening like failed drivers, cracks, discontinued products. People will always have their own criteria and for me it's long term that tests the build.

Last edited:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
The X1 and the like haven't been out long enough to tell how long they will last but as with all things electronic, components inside can fail randomly, just the way it is.

One thing I can be sure of though is that something that's built with materials of a higher quality will last longer with tougher use. If I drop the X1 I know the headband or casing won't crack. If I did the same on my HD595 though I know that would not be the case since that is exactly what happened with one of my older pairs!

As others have mentioned, there are also cheaper headphones with higher quality materials being used in areas like the headband. It just raises questions as to why Sennheiser chose to keep their costs down in these areas yet raise the cost for the consumer. Inflation and the like don't come into it either because if that was the case then the cost increase would filter to all other brands too.

Ultimately they will all live a long life in terms of physical qualities. Electronic failures though? That's like predicting the weather.

Caporegime
Always judge build with quality long term. 600/650 are tested and so is the DT770, K series, HD25 series. I'm confident that if I buy one I'm getting something for life.

All these newer metal headphones X1, V moda M100, Hifiman and even woodies like the LCD2 don't have the track record for long term durability.

Sure metal headphones feel solid but all these companies always seem to leave weak spots! It's also amazing how they can't seem to go 4 years without something happening like failed drivers, cracks, discontinued products. People will always have their own criteria and for me it's long term that tests the build.

what made you choose HD650's over HD600's?

I have 600's and noticed 650's are now like £250. i'm skint though so I cannot buy them atm but just wondering, I may look at them next month if their price is still low.

from what i have read they have more bass and less treble but other than that are pretty much the same thing.

probably the same driver just modified using the grills, and other parts, etc.

Associate
what made you choose HD650's over HD600's?

I have 600's and noticed 650's are now like £250. i'm skint though so I cannot buy them atm but just wondering, I may look at them next month if their price is still low.

from what i have read they have more bass and less treble but other than that are pretty much the same thing.

probably the same driver just modified using the grills, and other parts, etc.

I just prefer a lusher warmer sound. Vocals on the 650 are just more seductive and romantic and more emotional. I found the 650 a bit more detailed. I found the 600 to have a bot brighter treble and the 650 more smooth. Bass was improved IMO. I didn't find the 650 to have less treble just a smoothed out one.

If the 650 didn't exist then I'd go for the 600 as I think it's excellent!

Soldato
Easy decision to make...

Do you need lots of bass in your music?
If Yes then pass.
Do you have a strong enough amplifier to drive them sufficiently?
If No, are you prepared to buy one?
If No then pass.
Do you have a thick covering of hair on your head?
If No then pass
Put your order in. :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Easy decision to make...

Do you need lots of bass in your music?
If Yes then pass.
Do you have a strong enough amplifier to drive them sufficiently?
If No, are you prepared to buy one?
If No then pass.
Do you have a thick covering of hair on your head?
If No then pass
Put your order in. :D

LOL ^^

Soldato
OP
4D9R36_20140710_105404_7PQJL.png

4D9R36_20140710_105411_BUQW9.png

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
^Dat mass be dropped :cool:

I'm hoping mine is here for the weekend. I have no jobs booked so have all weekend to sit on my backside playing music, movies and games to give them a good run and comparison.

Soldato
^Dat mass be dropped :cool:

I'm hoping mine is here for the weekend. I have no jobs booked so have all weekend to sit on my backside playing music, movies and games to give them a good run and comparison.

Mine have just been shipped, you should get yours before me so I'll loo forward to your opinions on them compared to the X1. Depending on what you think of them will determine if I sell them on boxed new or keep them.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom