***AKG Q701 Official Owners Thread***

Caporegime
Mine have just been shipped, you should get yours before me so I'll loo forward to your opinions on them compared to the X1. Depending on what you think of them will determine if I sell them on boxed new or keep them.

I've noticed brand new products selling for £10 more than second hand ones in mint condition. Auctions are funny that way I have sold gear for more at auction than it cost brand new from a certain very popular book store.

I got HD558's brand new for £80, at the time they were like £120 on the book store. Second hand ones usually went for around £60-£70.

I would say it's worth listening to them for the £10 loss you make in selling them on (second hand mint compared to brand new sealed) if you don't like them.

Regardless of peoples opinions on here they are touted to be one of the best competitive gaming cans ever made. I'll keep them for that alone.

I'm also glad a lot of people on here managed to get in on the deal, I honestly didn't think that many people would jump on it but the price being offered was a steal and you couldn't really lose on it if you didn't like them.

Also selling them on because another person doesn't like them IMO would be stupid. Sound is very subjective and going back to the crisps comparison someone else may like smokey bacon whereas I hate it, it doesn't mean that smokey bacon is bad I just prefer salt and vinegar.

You would be mad to sell them on based on a single review when thousands of reviews on head fi say they are amazing.

Soldato
I had no idea they even existed or wanted another pair of headphones. Just seemed like a lot of headphone for the money so thought why not. Problem is now that massdrop sell lots of things I end up wanting to buy.

Soldato
You would be mad to sell them on based on a single review when thousands of reviews on head fi say they are amazing.

Well mrk's opinions on the X1 hold true to my own, I love them. That being said I think I will try them out, I don't game that much so they need to out do the X1 for music and movies to be staying put.

Soldato
my Lime Q701 has been shipped out too from Massdrop yesterday, but with no tracking i heard that once it reach's the UK RoyalMail would provide tracking number is this correct.

RM get the goods and then send you a card detailing the VAT charges, there might be tracking on the card. You then pay it and either have it delivered or pick it up at your local depot.

Last edited:
Soldato
RM won't send an email. As soon as it hits your local depot you should have the card the next day, won't be that long as you can pay the charges online and book a delivery from there.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
I just prefer a lusher warmer sound. Vocals on the 650 are just more seductive and romantic and more emotional. I found the 650 a bit more detailed. I found the 600 to have a bot brighter treble and the 650 more smooth. Bass was improved IMO. I didn't find the 650 to have less treble just a smoothed out one.

If the 650 didn't exist then I'd go for the 600 as I think it's excellent!

That is the exact sound signature I am looking for !

Since the 650s have recently gone down to £250 its tempting but sadly I am forced to stick to closed back and noise isolated headphones :(

Maybe can find something a bit better then the AKG 550s one day !

Associate
Tell me more about how the HD650's make the vocals of a Slipknot song more seductive, romantic and emotional. :p

Vermillion part 2 yes! The rest? Ah I'll reach for my 770s as the HD650 are toooo polite for that :D

That is the exact sound signature I am looking for !

Since the 650s have recently gone down to £250 its tempting but sadly I am forced to stick to closed back and noise isolated headphones :(

Maybe can find something a bit better then the AKG 550s one day !

HD650
AKG 702 65th Annie's

These two are the king of vocals outside of the big £1000 flagships.

What makes the 650 so good at that style is it's just so mid oriented. Vocals are at the front while the background reminds me of a photograph that's been taken at low aperture. I recently took the 650 off the throne and put the Annie's up. Reason was because the Annie's have that same magic but they pack even more emotion with a better sense of distance.

Look at both of these if that's the sound you are looking for :)

Soldato
Those stands retail for around £100 here in the UK when I googled them.

Very good deal

That is because the 100 quid ones are by Sieveking Sound and not a copy.

Read this from Massdrop:

Disclaimer
These are non-branded Omega-style headphone stands hand made in China. We check the quality of the stands when they come in, discard around 20% of them due to "poor quality", and ship the remainders out to group buy participants. Given that, the quality of the stands is still considerably lower than what you would get if you were to buy a stand from Sieveking sound. If you're obsessive about sanding, polishing, and quality wood-grain, this drop will likely disappoint. If you want an omega-shaped headphone stand that's made out of wood, then this drop is for you.

Not saying the copy won't be good but just if you missed the disclaimer and thought you were going to get a top quality product.

Back
Top Bottom