***AKG Q701 Official Owners Thread***

Soldato
You should be able to get the sticky pads off quite easily and then you can stick them onto a piece of kitchen foil in case you want to put them back on at a later date.

The bass port mod made a big difference to my K702s, very happy with them ever since.

Soldato
Well coming from Creative Aurvana Live 2's, which I thought when I bought them sounded good, now sound crap. :D

The details I can pick up with these even with well known tracks is quite magnificent. I'm listening to Etherwood and there are details is tracks I never knew existed.

Bass initially sounded a little weak but it is just tighter. They still go very low if they need to.

Excellent.

Soldato
120 can't match that but if you want a k702 i might be able to tweak the price quickly for people if they like I just can't leave it live for long periods of time :)

EDIT
I tell a lie

I can do a special promotion of £120 for K702

Trust message me if interested.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Stated using my Q701's again and my right cup squaks like mad if you move slightly.

Apparently silicone grease (lubricant) or shoving some paper or card into the pivot are the solutions to stop it moving and creaking due to movement.

Not ideal. But looks like if I want to keep using these I will need to either lube them and that could end up leaking or require topping up or modding them with something to stop movement. I think I'm going to see if I can get a thin strip of black foam and wedge it in there with a butter knife.

I would recommend to buy K712's to anyone from now on the cheaper Q701's and K702's made in china are a lottery for squeaking. Either they will or they wont

Soldato
Stated using my Q701's again and my right cup squaks like mad if you move slightly.

Apparently silicone grease (lubricant) or shoving some paper or card into the pivot are the solutions to stop it moving and creaking due to movement.

Not ideal. But looks like if I want to keep using these I will need to either lube them and that could end up leaking or require topping up or modding them with something to stop movement. I think I'm going to see if I can get a thin strip of black foam and wedge it in there with a butter knife.

I would recommend to buy K712's to anyone from now on the cheaper Q701's and K702's made in china are a lottery for squeaking. Either they will or they wont

K712's will also make the same noise eventually. Mine all did (granted only sample size of 3), but did make some squeaking after use. Solution to stop it is the same as above you mentioned. I have just simply squeezed in some black card on either side of the cup and removes most the noise

WOaXn1X.jpg

Caporegime
K712's will also make the same noise eventually. Mine all did (granted only sample size of 3), but did make some squeaking after use. Solution to stop it is the same as above you mentioned. I have just simply squeezed in some black card on either side of the cup and removes most the noise

WOaXn1X.jpg

Hoping to do the same job with a slice of foam. I will need to source the foam. Will hopefully look like oem as the foam is wedged into the gap with little sticking out.

Soldato
I have some AKG 712s and they blow me away whenever I use them. whats weird is I don't feel the soundstage is huuuge.. i feel its just perfect for a high end headphone. going to be hard to go elsewhere after these. only sad thing is they aren't versatile due to the difficulty driving them.

Soldato
I'm so in love with the bass on the 712s too. It seems perfect, not overbearing, so well controlled but present.
I've been playing around with lots of other headphones (closed back) including the £150 Sony AM2s... and honestly they all sound like utter crap compared to these.

Sadly they don't fit AT ALL around an Oculus Quest or Rift S... so I need to compromise and find a pair which do.

Also the AKG fit and comfort. Its like pillows on your head, with little to clamping force. honestly magical. i love showing them to people. when they see them, they think they're some rubbish then they listen..

Caporegime
I have some AKG 712s and they blow me away whenever I use them. whats weird is I don't feel the soundstage is huuuge.. i feel its just perfect for a high end headphone. going to be hard to go elsewhere after these. only sad thing is they aren't versatile due to the difficulty driving them.

The K712's are supposedly the best all rounder headphone and gaming.

I only paid circa £120 for my brand new Q701's when they were £300 in the uk so to see the K712's which were around £475 iirc now down to £180 ish is criminal how cheap they are compared to those who bought before.

Anyway thought I would update this thread. I shoved some cardboard in one side and boom no more creaking until 4 weeks ago the other side started creaking so in went more cardboard. now it seems like the cardboard has been worn out and i get some little creaks now and again but nowhere near as often.

i need to find something i can get into the gap which is durable but also flexible. at least now i know exactly where the issue is coming from and a rough idea on a fix. i couldn't find a small or thin enough piece of foam that would stay in 1 piece.

my other thought was. why didn't they just glue them? would stop the movement and it's the movement which causes it. maybe they thought they needed the additional dlex but I don't think they do

Back
Top Bottom