***AKG Q701 Official Owners Thread***

Associate
Just EQ 3kHz down by -5dB and it will get rid of most of the issues in the upper mids.

No amplifier (bar one design I've seen that is specifically tuned to 'normalize' the FR) will get rid of the nasty glare on the 7xx range.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
I certainly have no glare at all, just lots and lots of detail/clarity. Certainly the most natural sounding of all the phones I've listened to through this amp to date.

Caporegime
Your headphone amp is so expensive though Mrk! :mad: :p

A £400 headphone amp would have to wait until next year. :)

And even then, I'd be tempted to upgrade my speakers instead. I love my Diamond 9.2's, but they are getting on now.

Caporegime
Just looked into it, looks like a stunning bit of kit now. I didn't realise it was a headphone amp, DAC, speaker amp w' sub out, bluetooth reciever, and goodness knows what else. :D

Shame the speaker outputs are only 20W~ at 6 Ohms though... :(

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
30wpc, it will ramp up that output as and when needed too.

I really would not worry about the speaker output power, your neighbours will hear your music if you connect up a pair of floorstanders. This is a NAD amp, any similarly decent stereo integrad worth its salt with similar output power will power speakers you'd never think it would upon first glance.

Last edited:
Caporegime
My 9.2's are rated for 20 - 100W at 6 Ohms, they currently have about 37W being fed to them, and while they do go plenty loud enough, I am convinced that they could sound better with a little bit more power. :o

They are hooked up to a Marantz PM5003 at the moment... I have an Arcam A75 as well which I have been meaning to try out, but I almost can't bring myself to, because the Arcam looks so dated and cheap in comparison to the Marantz. :(

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Go by the proven quality of the components inside, not by the looks. People snigger when they see my Tannoy V4s being connected to the NAD because it's smaller than a Nintendo Wii. They stop laughing when sounds start playing :p

I haven not searched but I'd imagine the Arcam to be a step above the Marantz in question, could be wrong :o

Caporegime
Go by the proven quality of the components inside, not by the looks. People snigger when they see my Tannoy V4s being connected to the NAD because it's smaller than a Nintendo Wii. They stop laughing when sounds start playing :p

Haha I know I know. :)

But my current Hi-Fi setup looks very smart. With the mint condition cherrywood Diamond 9.2's on foam stands either side of the shiny brushed metal Marantz amplifier. It makes me die a little inside when I think about putting the old Arcam in its place. Especially since the Arcam is scratched and chipped. :(

Petty and silly, but still... :D

I'll give the Arcam a go out of sheer curiosity later. If I like it, I may go to the trouble of taking it apart, buying a new face-plate for it, and re-painting it. :)

Associate
I certainly have no glare at all, just lots and lots of detail/clarity. Certainly the most natural sounding of all the phones I've listened to through this amp to date.

To each his own I guess. I've made it no secret that I don't think too highly of the K/Q7xx range. The upper mid range has been an issue on every model I've tried (Q701, K701, a couple K702's, and the K712).

Having said that, I am generally very sensitive to any kind of harshness in headphones. I can't stand Grado's for instance and most of Beyer's latest Tesla range.

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Same kind of sensitivity here too to minute details. As I say, on this amp these headphones are sweet with no oddness at either end of the spectrum. You tend to expect that from a NAD amp though and you've probably heard me mention the "typical NAD sound" over the months/years (I've owned 3 NAD amps to date).

Headphones do have their own sound, the amp powering them can change that sound either for better or worse and I've always found NAD amps are for the better in this regard. Harsh speakers and heapdhones are balanced out and you're rewarded while completely neutral headphones get a shade of warmth and body.

This new class D amp is the first amp I've ever heard that needed no EQ to balance out the sound whatsoever and sounded perfect right away. Lucky because it has no EQ controls to do that.

Associate
Same kind of sensitivity here too to minute details. As I say, on this amp these headphones are sweet with no oddness at either end of the spectrum. You tend to expect that from a NAD amp though and you've probably heard me mention the "typical NAD sound" over the months/years (I've owned 3 NAD amps to date).

Headphones do have their own sound, the amp powering them can change that sound either for better or worse and I've always found NAD amps are for the better in this regard. Harsh speakers and heapdhones are balanced out and you're rewarded while completely neutral headphones get a shade of warmth and body.

This new class D amp is the first amp I've ever heard that needed no EQ to balance out the sound whatsoever and sounded perfect right away. Lucky because it has no EQ controls to do that.

Hmm, sounds like I need to demo your NADs (wait...that sounds wrong...). Seriously though, which model do you have? I'm looking into an upgrade for my speaker system and haven't really considered NAD gear (mostly been lusting over the Schiit Ragnarok).

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
I have the D 3020, there's a model with a few more features and more output power if you have picky/hard to drive speakers or want the digital matrix display thing.

SevenOaks have then in for demo so I'd very much recommend popping in with your favourite music and headphones to give them a cruise :)

Associate
To each his own I guess. I've made it no secret that I don't think too highly of the K/Q7xx range. The upper mid range has been an issue on every model I've tried (Q701, K701, a couple K702's, and the K712).

Having said that, I am generally very sensitive to any kind of harshness in headphones. I can't stand Grado's for instance and most of Beyer's latest Tesla range.

My ears are like that. Even the slightest peak can ruin a headphone for me. I thought the Q701 suffered in a minor way with the peak but the K701, K702, K712, K612 all had it clearly.

The K712, if it didn't have that mid peak would still be in my collection as it's fantastic. The Annie and K501 are a dream with smooth mids and treble.

Soldato
Anyone got any recommendations for hard-carry cases for these beasts? Cant very use the box 24/7 even if I could its far from protective!

Also, listen to these track, they're epic on the Qs. (Oh Wonder definitely need more views, their music is incredible - well worth a follow on SoundCloud too, they're releasing a new track each month for a year :)).

Back
Top Bottom