Alan Davies comments

Caporegime
What do you think of them? Out of order or a valid point 23 years after a disaster? Admittedly, he could have said it in a more sensitive way, but just how wrong is he?

He has already received numerous, very explicit death threats on Twitter over this. He has also apologised. My personal feeling is that playing a semi final on that day, having a minutes silence at the home of football and then hopefully winning the game, is a far more fitting tribute than sitting at home grieving for the 23rd year running.

Last edited:
Don
I think Alan Davies is a ****.

If those involved and effected by what happened don't want Liverpool to play on that day then I'm happy to go along with them, not Alan Davies, you or anybody else.

edit: And they don't "sit at home" on that day. A memorial service is held at Anfield which everybody at the club attends.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
At what point do they stop though Baz?

It's now been 23 years. It must come to a point where memorials stop. My Grandad's 16 year old sister was killed in the 1943 bethnal green tube disaster. He never once asked for a day off work on the anniversary. 2 reasons. 1, he knew that being an everyday worker, he wouldn't be allowed and 2, he didn't feel it was good for him to grieve and relive sad memories all the time.

If the fans want to do it, then I agree it's their choice and it should be respected, but there comes a time when people need to move on.

Don
Why would they need to stop? If the families involved and the football club believe it's important to hold a memorial service to remember (not to continue to grieve) those that lost their lives that day then I don't see any reason why they should stop.

If Alan Davies is that concerned about Chelsea's schedule then he should complain to the FA. There was nothing stopping the FA holding the semi finals a week apart.

Caporegime
If Alan Davies is that concerned about Chelsea's schedule then he should complain to the FA. There was nothing stopping the FA holding the semi finals a week apart.

Football match>the mourning of peoples lives according to the attention seeker that is Alan Davies, always playing the idiot on QI and biting people for no reason, classy guy.

Should be ignored but would love to see him sacked.

He has already received numerous, very explicit death threats on Twitter over this.]

As if anyone is going to follow through with them, people just hide behind twitter and post the first angry stuff that comes to their head.

Soldato
Why would they need to stop? If the families involved and the football club believe it's important to hold a memorial service to remember (not to continue to grieve) those that lost their lives that day then I don't see any reason why they should stop.

Just out of interest, do you know for sure families still want this to occur or not?

(rather than more private memorials if anything "specific" at all)

Without adoubt AD could have been more sympathetic, but imo a minute's silence before the game on the day (or something similar) would be more fitting after this length of time

Soldato
He annoys me, He has a valid-ish point, but puts it across is the worst possible way, Makes him look like such a mug.

Throw that in with the Spurs comment and it just shows you what sort of person he is.

Soldato
If you listen to the podcast he's very respectful and his points make a lot of sense.

Liverpool fans are not reasonable though, they're hilarious

For the people saying he comes across badly, have any of you even listened to the podcast or know the tone of the podcast at all? He doesn't come off badly at all :/ he's nicer than he normally is about anything

Soldato
He wasn't particularly disrespectful in that.

saying that they could probably have just shifted chelsea's game.

Last edited:
Don
If you listen to the podcast he's very respectful

Really? He seems to have accept himself that he wasn't.
Just out of interest, do you know for sure families still want this to occur or not?
Yes.

edit: And to those saying that Liverpool should play on that day, can you give a good reason why they should? The people involved want to hold a memorial service and by doing so they're not putting anybody else out so why stop them? As I mentioned above, Chelsea's schedule is not a good reason, that could have been sorted by simply holding the Semi-Final's a week apart (that should happen anyway (playing 2 games in 30 hours on the same pitch is plain stupid)).

Last edited:
Don
Listen to the podcast yourself and judge, I have listened to it and thought he was overly respectful at the time.

I'm not going to listen to the entire podcast, I've listened to youtube link above and he comes across as an inconsiderate ****. As above, he seems to accept that himself and apologised for it.

Soldato
He's apologised to try and keep the mongy Liverpool gang on twitter quiet. He didn't mean to cause offence - that much is obvious imo, some people love to seek offence though

I also think he's entitled to his (quite logical imo) opinion and shouldn't have to apologise or receive the level of pathetic abuse he has. His opinion isn't wildly offensive, it's quite sedate

Last edited:
Associate
As above, I hate Alan Davies, especially because of his ridiculously patronising 'class dunce' role on QI, but he does have a point.

And the whole 'it's up to the individuals involved' line doesn't really work when one club is attempting to force a schedule change on another by anything other than mutual consent.

*Edit: Also listened to the entire podcast waiting for the 'smoking gun' or something actually offensive to pop up, and it just ended... he never crossed any boundaries, just made a fair point with humour. His apology seems purely diplomatic as I have no idea what offence somebody could take from that, other than it's being talked about in something other than a quasi-religious tone...

Last edited:
Soldato
edit: And to those saying that Liverpool should play on that day, can you give a good reason why they should? The people involved want to hold a memorial service and by doing so they're not putting anybody else out so why stop them? As I mentioned above, Chelsea's schedule is not a good reason, that could have been sorted by simply holding the Semi-Final's a week apart (that should happen anyway (playing 2 games in 30 hours on the same pitch is plain stupid)).
Does it not seem a little over the top to effectively claim ownership of a certain day? There's a number of clubs that have their own significant dates, if every one of those took this stance then compiling a fixture list would prove almost impossible. Also, I wonder what Liverpools position would be if the date in question was a potential cup final date?

However, I do think Davies' comments were quite disrespectful in how they were presented. I've only listened to the Youtube clip, and in that alone he comes accross is if he's having a go at Liverpool and their supporters, he's daft for not realising at the time of recording that offence would be taken.

Back
Top Bottom