Alan Davies comments

Soldato
He hasn't got 'involved' in anything, it was a passing comment in an Arsenal podcast for Arsenal fans. He wasn't being offensive and he wasn't being unreasonable. The only people that are being unreasonable are the ones criticising him for having a perfectly logical opinion on the matter

Don
He hasn't got 'involved' in anything, it was a passing comment in an Arsenal podcast for Arsenal fans. He wasn't being offensive and he wasn't being unreasonable. The only people that are being unreasonable are the ones criticising him for having a perfectly logical opinion on the matter

The matter has nothing to do nor does it effect Arsenal. As he's admitted himself, he came across as an inconsiderate ****.

Soldato
You weren't kidding when a while back you said you only started following foot ball around the time of the Premier League being formed.

sorry , been one of those days today

I can appreciate KD not wanting to manage a game - but at some point I still think there has to come a point where everyone needs to move on

Howsabout nearly everyone who's from Liverpool who's older than 30 and younger than 70?

96 people doesn't sound like a lot, but from a City with less than 1m population that's not a great deal of degrees of separation.

An huge amount people I grew up with and I include myself in this, either knew someone, or knew someone who's family member died at Hillsborough. Along with the other 2000 or so people I went to school with for instance.

Steven Gerrard's cousin died there.

I've never been to the memorial service, but I respect the right of those that want to do so, and want to keep it in it's present form. It's nothing to do with football and certainly has nothing to do with Chelsea's fixture list or Alan Davies.

He's an idiot for getting involved.

I clearly said from the club, not from the City.

Just because you knew someone who died there (and Im sorry to hear that you did), has no reflection at all as to whether LFC should continue holding memorial services - how ever sad your personal loss was, and Im afraid that should hold true for majority of the City

Last edited:
Soldato
And his point is what?

That Liverpool refuse to play on a certain day? Because if it is, he's totally missed the point.

And he has "got involved". He used a public forum (albeit one aimed at Arsenal fans) to create controversy about something he knows nothing about.

Don
Yes he did, but he still has a point.

His only point is that Chelsea have to play 2 games in 3 days. They're not the first club to have had to do this (even when there's been no reason why they had to) and as I've said, that could very easily be solved by moving one of the Semi's either a week earlier or a week later. Not only would that easily solve this problem, on top of that you wouldn't be playing 2 games on the same pitch within 30 hours.

Soldato
The matter has nothing to do nor does it effect Arsenal. As he's admitted himself, he came across as an inconsiderate ****.

He was talking about Chelsea and how if it were Arsenal he'd expect something to be done. He came across as inconsiderate to Liverpool fans who are now sending him death threats - so go figure, no Arsenal fan batted an eyelid.

Caporegime
If the fans want to attend a memorial service held at Anfield then there's no-one stopping them. They can do that the same day as the game can't they? As long as the fixture isn't at home...

Yeah **** it, what a breeze it'll be to get from Wembley back up to Anfield after the game and I'm sure the likes of Kenny and Gerrard will be 100% focussed on the game and not have in mind they have a very emotional memorial to attend later in the day.

Soldato
I clearly said from the club, not from the City.

Oh, so the supporters don't count? Believe it or not, quite of lot of the Liverpool support comes from the city ;)

And it's not LFC that holds the memorial. It's organised by the Hillsborough Families Support Group, it just happens that the service is held at Anfield and the club, staff, and players are invited (and quite rightly expected) to attend.

Don
He was talking about Chelsea and how if it were Arsenal he'd expect something to be done. He came across as inconsiderate to Liverpool fans who are now sending him death threats - so go figure, no Arsenal fan batted an eyelid.

Arsenal fans not batting an eyelid at Davies not being offensive or inconsiderate to something that concerns them - go figure :rolleyes:

Unfortunately twitter is the breeding ground for idiots. I'm sure yesterday wasn't the first time Davies has been abused on there, he just RT'd those few messages to get some sympathy and deflect the attention from what he said.

Soldato
Oh, so the supporters don't count? Believe it or not, quite of lot of the Liverpool support comes from the city ;)

And it's not LFC that holds the memorial. It's organised by the Hillsborough Families Support Group, it just happens that the service is held at Anfield and the club, staff, and players are invited (and quite rightly expected) to attend.

This is another point about the twitter abuse he's getting (a post from a smart Liverpool fan on another forum sums it up well)

Utterly spot on

I had family at Hillsborough that day, and there's nothing more insulting to the ordeal they went through than some pasty internet warrior from Dublin/Surrey/India using it as grief-**** material or as an attempt to show how much he supports #LFC5times

He's absolutely bang on there.

Caporegime
This is another point about the twitter abuse he's getting (a post from a smart Liverpool fan on another forum sums it up well)

He's absolutely bang on there.

Someone is pretty pessimistic to believe that theres actually a large number of people that use the death of others to show they are 'great fans' or whatever he is trying to say.

Alan Davies has a history of hating on LFC/Scousers/the city itself, no surprise he comes out with this ****.

Soldato
Aye, it's not a football issue.

Calling out Liverpool FC on it, or "supporting" Liverpool FC on it, is, along with Davies, is barking up the wrong tree.

If he wants to call out anyone on it, he should be calling the HFSG. He wouldn't do that though would he? "Those bloody families and their memorial service, why can't they hold it somewhere else and stop inviting the players and staff in case a football teams fixture list has to be altered??!!".

Doesn't sound like much of a valid point when presented as such does it?

Calling out Liverpool FC garners far more acceptance amongst people though. Even though it's completely off target.

Last edited:
Soldato
Someone is pretty pessimistic to believe that theres actually a large number of people that use the death of others to show they are 'great fans' or whatever he is trying to say.

Alan Davies has a history of hating on LFC/Scousers/the city itself, no surprise he comes out with this ****.

He's a very good poster. A very balanced fan.

Davies has a history of hating everybody tbf

Soldato
Yeah **** it, what a breeze it'll be to get from Wembley back up to Anfield after the game and I'm sure the likes of Kenny and Gerrard will be 100% focussed on the game and not have in mind they have a very emotional memorial to attend later in the day.

The USA rugby team played their World Cup match on the 11th September last year. I am fairly sure one of the players lost a family member in the towers. I am not saying Hillsborough should be ignored, but to affect other businesses (because that is what football clubs are), by refusing to play seems a little extreme.

Do no events take place on 7/7 at all either? As mentioned earlier are fixtures avoided for Heysel?

Caporegime
He's a very good poster. A very balanced fan.

Davies has a history of hating everybody tbf

Really? Some internet pasty warrior from anywhere but Liverpool? Where does he post exactly?

Yeah, hates people so much he bites their ears.

Caporegime
The USA rugby team played their World Cup match on the 11th September last year. I am fairly sure one of the players lost a family member in the towers. I am not saying Hillsborough should be ignored, but to affect other businesses (because that is what football clubs are), by refusing to play seems a little extreme.

It shouldn't be up to anyone else, if the USA Rugby team wanted their match rescheduled I see no issue if they were affected by 9/11.

As for your edit, 7/7 is a bit different as it was hardly a direct tragedy of any club, but if a player did not wish to play on that day I'd have no issue if they were affected.

As for Hysel or whatever other disaster/terroist attack you are going to bring up next, that is their choice if they wish to request that, if they don't then no one is going to make the exception for them, it is pretty simple.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom