Alan Wake 2

Soldato
Is anyone buying this? It out in just over a month (27th of October)

As much as i loved the original and i was REALLY surprised when i played through Control and Remedy dropped that its based in the same universe, there is no way that i am paying £50 for a game that i cannot sell on after i have finished it. The decision to go only digital is a joke to be honest and will probably be a bad one for sales. Some people are happy with a digital copy but i am not. While i understand that they say not printing a disk, case and artwork will save them money, the game still costs £50 more than a lot of other recent releases that have a physical copy. If it had a physical copy at £50 i would have already put my preorder in but now i will not be purchasing until its less that £20 or on Plus.

Pity really.

Associate
I too really enjoyed the original on the Xbox360, the story and gameplay really grabbed me.
I was less impressed with the Nightmares release (I got that on PC), and so will wait and see the reviews, but most probably wait for it to be on sale before I pick it up.
Digital / physical is not so important for me.

Soldato
Yep I will, as long as there are no nasty surprises about the game before release. Being a PC gamer as well, digital only isn't an issue for me as I seldom sell my disc-based games unless I didn't enjoy them and not having to faff with a disc or deal with slow installs is a bonus for me now, I can download a game faster than it it copies from a disc. I'm really looking forward to it, the game looks excellent from the previews so far and it seems they've been able to fully realise their ambitions with this one which was something they struggled with in the original Alan Wake.

I've been replaying the original (albeit Remastered) recently for the first time since the original came out so the story is fresh in my memory again, finished the main game last night so I'm on to the DLC episodes next.

Soldato
Welcome to the future.

It will all be digital soon. Subs and digital content will be the norm.

I really enjoyed Control but have never played AW the original. Will definitely look at picking this up, though.

Associate
So I see this game is digital only no physical copies which sucks, I prefer physical on console due to places like simply games offering better deals and the resale trade in aspect of it, PlayStation store has always been over expensive.

Soldato
As much as I enjoy Remedies other efforts, I really struggled with Alan Wake and found the combat mechanic pretty repetitive and mostly frustrating and have still yet to finish it. The previews thus far have not inspired confidence this is much different. Shame as the story telling is unusually fantastic. Control was a recent top highlight for me on the PS5. I'll hold out till it is in the sales next year.

Soldato
So I see this game is digital only no physical copies which sucks, I prefer physical on console due to places like simply games offering better deals and the resale trade in aspect of it, PlayStation store has always been over expensive.

PS Store giftcards from ShopTo etc will bring the price down, you can usually save 10-15% and if you're enrolled to PS Stars you'll be over halfway to earning a £5 voucher too. That doesn't help with the resale aspect though, obviously.

Soldato
OP
Yeah even then it’s too bloody expensive for a game that has no value once you have completed. More recently I have been keeping games rather than selling them as the games I have picked up are games I want to play through multiple times (RE4 Remake, Jedi Survivor, GOW Ragnarok) they were cheaper to buy the physical game and I also have options to sell them on. Me and my colleague at work also often take turns in purchasing a game and swapping when played but you can’t do that with digital only. I can understand with multiplayer games like COD being like that but single player games… nope.

I, like I am sure a lot of fans of the original game, will show my displeasure to the devs by not buying at launch and pick it up when it’s a lot cheaper, they put on PSPlus or they cave and put out some physical copies. I can’t see the latter happening so they will be a cause of the games poor sales should that happen.

Associate
I used to feel that way about physical / digital, but I think I've fallen into the bracket you describe regarding single player games, and picking up those games on sale in digital format.
Not knowing so many other gamers local to me means I don't have a need to exchange games, and the money side from selling them on is negated by picking them up on sale instead.
A big bonus for me is that the digital doesn't take up space, nor does it get lost or damaged.
The only downside that I find is I miss the hype during the first few weeks that a game is released. However, that is short lived and to be honest I don't really miss it. Picking up a game on sale also comes with the benefit is that it's matured, resulting in bugs being squashed, available mods / DLC, and soemtimes it is even optimised.
Overall, I'm a happy digital version consumer of games.

Associate
Loving this so far!!!

About an hour in and it's fantastic. Great humour and atmosphere, really really enjoyable.

I'm running on XSX with performance mode and it's been solid 60fps so far and as I say, looks fantastic.

Associate
I seem to be getting this no audio bug quite frequently, becoming rather annoying. Start game > no audio > restart game > audio - hopefully a bug that's fixed sharpish.

Associate
Im about 6 hours in and enjoying it. Nearly didnt buy it due to the fact the last few games i have bought have been a waste of money that i got bored of after <30minutes.

Getting big max payne vibes from it which is a good thing.

Havent got a single bug yet so far, Story is very strange but enjoyable!

This is the first digital Ps5 game i have ever bought, prefer physical but dont regret buying it.

Last edited:
Soldato
About 7 hours in. Loving it so far.

I had no ambient audio for about 20 seconds after a quick resume. The audio slowly gets more out of sync during cut scenes. I don't know if this has to do with my Sonos setup or the game. Pausing then unpausing seems to partially sync it back up. Not game-breaking for me.

Back
Top Bottom