• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Alder Lake-S leaks

V F

V F

Soldato
Zen 4 is a while away though so Intel doing this now is a solid move to get all the people looking to upgrade systems during the Xmas period. All this may actually work out really well and come this time next year when Zen 4 chatter is hot topic, we repeat the whole process again for those that did not upgrade to the Intels because not every 11 or 10 series owner will upgrade to 12 naturally and AMD fans will of course hold out whilst watching what happens with Intel stuff over the year.

Either way we all win. Better competition, better prices (I fully expected much higher prices than what we are seeing now for ADL).

I'm happy either way tbh.

I'm intrigued to see your build once you've got the stuff. What case are you currently in?

Man of Honour
I'm intrigued to see your build once you've got the stuff. What case are you currently in?

It's a Phanteks Evolv Enthoo, old pic with previous GFX, fans and SSD in there:

pc_phanteks-evolv_sideangle-1.jpg

In there now though:

Gigabyte Z170-X Gaming 5
H115i AIO
32GB 3600MHz
Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super OC
Phanteks AMP 750w
970 Evo Plus NVMe 1TB
870 QVO 8TB
All Arctic P14 PWN fans inc on the AIO

The new build will look pretty much the same as the above pic really. I like consistency :p
I am however going to move the AIO rad to the front as intake. Seems the most efficient use of keeping cool air over the rad then move the front 140mm intakes at the top for exhaust.

Soldato
10nm will never compete with amd's 7nm efficiency, granted now intel have moved to 10nm its a great time as there is competition finally again, but with intel power draw is again its achilles heel, if the leaked power figures for the 12900k are true then you'll need some beefy cooling to handle the leaked 330w draw, to put that in comparison my 5950x pulls 194w but with all cores at 4.7ghz with smt enabled, which granted is a lot but i hope the leaked power result isnt true, 3 days we'll know
330w draw is insane really.

Associate
I wonder how these early spec CL40 DDR5 kits compare with DDR4 kits with tight timings in gaming. Really need to decide between DDR4 and DDR5.

Associate
10nm will never compete with amd's 7nm efficiency
It seems 12600K will be trading blows with 5800X, possibly beating it in many applications. And its turbo power 150W is not miles off 142W of AMD.

Tech process is not Intels weakness (anymore), the monolithic die is.

Caporegime
It's a Phanteks Evolv Enthoo, old pic with previous GFX, fans and SSD in there:

pc_phanteks-evolv_sideangle-1.jpg

In there now though:

Gigabyte Z170-X Gaming 5
H115i AIO
32GB 3600MHz
Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super OC
Phanteks AMP 750w
970 Evo Plus NVMe 1TB
870 QVO 8TB
All Arctic P14 PWN fans inc on the AIO

The new build will look pretty much the same as the above pic really. I like consistency :p
I am however going to move the AIO rad to the front as intake. Seems the most efficient use of keeping cool air over the rad then move the front 140mm intakes at the top for exhaust.

Nice clean looking build :)
I have the Enthoo-Pro-M, full perspex side window version, great case, difficult to find a suitable replacement for much under £150, i'm eyeing up the Corsair 5000D Airflow, in black, i really like the look of the white - grey one but i know it will yellow, i have a white HS70 Headset that is now very yellow.

Man of Honour
Nice clean looking build :)
I have the Enthoo-Pro-M, full perspex side window version, great case, difficult to find a suitable replacement for much under £150, i'm eyeing up the Corsair 5000D Airflow, in black, i really like the look of the white - grey one but i know it will yellow, i have a white HS70 Headset that is now very yellow.

Yup glass side panels here too! Do really like this case have to say so will continue to use it. It's a pretty no nonsense discreet case that works well with a clean build really. As you say for the price these are indeed rather excellent.

Soldato
330w draw is insane really.

A 5950X when ran with Prime95 AVX with small FFT can consume 285w or more with an average core voltage of 1.18v. I wouldn't recommend doing this, as the CPU will degrade extremely quickly. It's always recommended to stay within 2x the TDP as rule of thumb.

Point is, it's not as ridiculous as all that, especially if there's more performance on the table. If one is concerned with efficiency, there's probably no real reason to change platforms or argue the toss with others that do want the extra performance that's on the table.

Last edited:
Associate
It seems 12600K will be trading blows with 5800X, possibly beating it in many applications. And its turbo power 150W is not miles off 142W of AMD.

Tech process is not Intels weakness (anymore), the monolithic die is.

the i5-12600k and i5-12400 will be the two interesting mainstream chips

Associate
A 5950X when ran with Prime95 AVX with small FFT can consume 285w or more with an average core voltage of 1.18v. I wouldn't recommend doing this, as the CPU will degrade extremely quickly, it's always recommended to stay within 2x the TDP as rule of thumb.

Point is, it's not as ridiculous as all that, especially if there's more performance on the table. If one is concerned with efficiency, there's probably no real reason to change platforms or argue the toss with others that do want the extra performance that's on the table.

to be fair if the performance if under the hood at the top end most people who buy the chip will not care one way or the other about power draw

they just want the power

Caporegime
A 5950X when ran with Prime95 AVX with small FFT can consume 285w or more with an average core voltage of 1.18v. I wouldn't recommend doing this, as the CPU will degrade extremely quickly. It's always recommended to stay within 2x the TDP as rule of thumb.

Prime95 is power bug software, its the Furmark of the CPU world, if its doing that AMD should really add Prime95 detection to the firmware because drawing that much power could damage the board or the CPU, its not designed to draw that much power.

Caporegime
Prime95 is power bug software, its the Furmark of the CPU world, if its doing that AMD should really add Prime95 detection to the firmware because drawing that much power could damage the board or the CPU, its not designed to draw that much power.

Actually, you have to go in to the BIOS and take the power limits off for the CPU to draw run away power like this, so if it goes bang its your fault, you took the pin out....

I hope people don't RMA their CPU's after blowing them up with 12 hours of Prime95, i would hate for AMD to lock their CPU's down because of a few idiots.

Associate

Not true, i think the 5950X is locked at 140W in bios unless you manually adjust the PPT, i have mine set manually to a maximum of 220W and that is probably a little high but it gets me over 30k in Cinebench R23 so meh......

Soldato
Actually, you have to go in to the BIOS and take the power limits off for the CPU to draw run away power like this, so if it goes bang its your fault, you took the pin out....

I hope people don't RMA their CPU's after blowing them up with 12 hours of Prime95, i would hate for AMD to lock their CPU's down because of a few idiots.

You'll need to run Prime95 and run the CPU overclocked to see the numbers being thrown around AL-S. That's the question a rational user would ask, 300W+ in what workloads.

RE Prime and Zen 3, considering the platform has been available for over 2 years I'm not sure what relevance that has. AMD's RMA policy is very doors open when it comes to CPUs that refuse to run at damn near stock, let alone anything else.

Not true, i think the 5950X is locked at 140W in bios unless you manually adjust the PPT, i have mine set manually to a maximum of 220W and that is probably a little high but it gets me over 30k in Cinebench R23 so meh......

I'm afraid it is true. With a per CCX OC in override mode you can get the CPU to pull that much current quite happily. This is with PPT, TD and EDC limits overwriten.

Last edited:
Caporegime

142. That's official limit of the PGA socket (AM# Socket) it has headroom, depending on the quality of the board and AMD clearly feel its ok for people to use their discretion, AMD are assuming people are sensible, on a good quality board the socket can handle quite a bit more but its also why your warranty is technically void if you do lift those limits.

300 watts in Prime95 is a bit much, i think at that you are running the risk of frying something no matter how good the board is.

You'll need to run Prime95 and run the CPU overclocked to see the numbers being thrown around AL-S. That's the question a rational user would ask, 300W+ in what workloads.

RE Prime and Zen 3, considering the platform has been available for over 2 years I'm not sure what relevance that has. AMD's RMA policy is very doors open when it comes to CPUs that refuse to run at damn near stock, let alone anything else.

I'm afraid it is true. With a per CCX OC in override mode you can get the CPU to pull that much current quite happily. This is with PPT, TD and EDC limits overwriten.

AMD cannot prove you did something stupid to the CPU, so they will just RMA if its dead, that doesn't mean they don't whats going on and its always a worry that it gets too much for AMD and they would rethink it, and then lock the CPU to a hard power limit.

This is why i hate Prime95, it is power bug software and if you go daft it can quite easily kill your CPU, i hate reading people complain about heat and power consumption in Prime95 or people using it to boast about what sort of power levels they can achieve... i can't stand it.

Soldato
You definitely don't need to run Prime to degrade a 5950X. AMD realised this themselves fairly early on. Anyway, not really the point. Point is, simply throwing around peak numbers doesn't really tell you much of anything.

A bit like you being in this thread when I highly doubt you'll even consider one of these chips ;)

Back
Top Bottom