Alec Baldwin fatally shoots woman with prop gun on movie set

Soldato
No he doesn't. He talks about them having BBs where the propellant would be.

We must be taking different things from what he is saying. The BBs are there as you can't tell by looking at the round if it is inert or not so it is shaken so you can hear the BBs to confirm they are dummy rounds and then loaded in the gun.

You are saying it's obvious by looking at a gun if it is loaded or not but you can't do that when it is loaded with dummy bullets so it appears fully loaded for a close up camera shot.

Caporegime
We must be taking different things from what he is saying. The BBs are there as you can't tell by looking at the round if it is inert or not so it is shaken so you can hear the BBs to confirm they are dummy rounds and then loaded in the gun.

You are saying it's obvious by looking at a gun if it is loaded or not but you can't do that when it is loaded with dummy bullets so it appears fully loaded for a close up camera shot.

Ah yes. We are. My whole point has been around visual inspection to confirm whether it's a live or a blank. Dummy's add a different realm as although they're often designed to be clear they're not live rounds (coloured or the casing is profiled/fluted) if you're going for aesthetics then yeah they would need to look real. In that instance though you'd carry out a visual check and wouldn't know if they're live or dummy so you'd treat them as live.

Caporegime
You moved on to coherent points yet or are you still rambling and contradicting yourself?

So you still saying its a simple chamber check to see if it's empty?

Or are you now admting its now a lot more convoluted rhan that?

Whoch has resulted in the standard practice is too take the armourers word for time and efficency sake which had been safe for decades?

Caporegime
In a revolver the front of the rounds are visible at the front of the cylinder - it has to be open fronted. You will very easily be able to see if it has a bullet in the round or not.

Wherent you just mocking James may for looking down the bqrrel of a shotgun now your proposing pointing a revolver at yourself?

Man of Honour
Wherent you just mocking James may for looking down the bqrrel of a shotgun now your proposing pointing a revolver at yourself?

Most revolvers break apart for easy checking down the barrel and looking at the loaded rounds without pointing the live end at yourself.

Caporegime
So you still saying its a simple chamber check to see if it's empty?

Or are you now admting its now a lot more convoluted rhan that?

Whoch has resulted in the standard practice is too take the armourers word for time and efficency sake which had been safe for decades?

So that's a no on the coherent post then?

Soldato
Also, lets not forget the fact that the weapon in question is a Colt Dragoon, it doesn't take ammo like a modern revolver. You have to pour your powder into the front of the chamber, place your wadding in the chamber and then the actual projectile goes on top of that before using the loading lever to pack them down tightly. Then you place the percussion cap on the rear of the chamber and it's ready to go.

Caporegime
Training/qualifying on the type of firearm you're going to use is a thing elsewhere at least. If you can't even tell whether a particular weapon is leaded or not should you even be using that weapon? IMO not at all.

I'm not qualified on this particular weapon (it's ancient), doesn't look like it would be impossible to tell the thing was loaded though:

Commissario
And as I pointed out earlier you can see if a bullet is present in a chamber without pointing it at yourself...
No, you probably can’t. The ball will be quite deeply rammed.

There’s no way I’d be able to see if my Ruger Old Army (4th from the left in my signature) was loaded without sweeping myself.

Caporegime

There’s no way I’d be able to see if my Ruger Old Army (4th from the left in my signature) was loaded without sweeping myself.

In which case then, do you:

a) treat the weapon as if it contains live ammunition

Or

b) point it at someone

Caporegime

Looks like they have to put a bunch of caps on this one which are visible as per the video below no?

If it was supposed to be a "cold" gun* i.e. not containing any rounds then that would surely be dubious:

30uf49q.png

https://www.latimes.com/entertainme.../alec-baldwin-rust-camera-crew-walked-off-set
Baldwin’s stunt double accidentally fired two rounds Saturday after being told that the gun was “cold” — lingo for a weapon that doesn’t have any ammunition, including blanks — two crew members who witnessed the episode told the Los Angeles Times.

Back
Top Bottom