Alec Baldwin fatally shoots woman with prop gun on movie set

Caporegime
And as has been said a "literally dozens of times" on a movie set actors are employed to act and follow direction, with a professional armourer there as the expert who is explicitly responsible for gun safety.

But that doesn't absolve the actor of personal responsibility. Making a simple visual check is simple, quick and probably would have saved this woman's life.

Caporegime

Also should f1 drivers get out of the car while it's fueled?

In case someone screws up and covers them in fuel and they burst into flames?

They don't fuel f1 cars mid race anymore...

Additionally I'm pretty sure you're a bike rider, you're taught not to remain on your bike when you fuel it up, are you not?

Soldato
It's threads like this that remind me to ignore lots of armchair experts on other subjects. I'm also glad most don't own firearms given the lack of a desire for personal responsibility. If you pick up a gun you also bear responsibility for its use, no matter what the training was or the lack of it, or what you were told. If you're not prepared to take it on then just stay away from them, they're not for you.

Soldato
It's threads like this that remind me to ignore lots of armchair experts on other subjects. I'm also glad most don't own firearms given the lack of a desire for personal responsibility. If you pick up a gun you also bear responsibility for its use, no matter what the training was or the lack of it, or what you were told. If you're not prepared to take it on then just stay away from them, they're not for you.

Exactly this because firearms are very much like any other dangerous device, substance or environment in that the moment you stop treating them with due diligence and respect, you put yourself and those around you in harm’s way.

Soldato
Exactly this because firearms are very much like any other dangerous device, substance or environment in that the moment you stop treating them with due diligence and respect, you put yourself and those around you in harm’s way.

Exactly, I think of it like electricity, good servant and a bad master, and never take it for granted as you may not get a second chance.

Man of Honour
I once woke up on the other side of a room with blackened fingertips having treated a 3 phase AC supply with insufficient respect. Won’t be doing that again.

Always makes me chuckle when I see the signs at work on the electrical stuff "Only to be worked on by competent persons", etc. (I know what competent means in an electrical sense).

Soldato
I once woke up on the other side of a room with blackened fingertips having treated a 3 phase AC supply with insufficient respect. Won’t be doing that again.

I worked somewhere and an engineer did just that in one of the plant rooms. I can't remember the outcome but I don't think it was very good, three phase is serious stuff. I know I don't know a lot about electrics so I get someone in who does, much safer, for everyone!

Caporegime
No but he can carry out a basic visual check from the drivers seat. And as has been said literally dozens of times a basic visual check would have verified the status of the firearm.

A basic visual check from the cockpit of an F1 car in no way confirms that a wheel nut is tightened up correctly. That's absurd.

Its also, in essence, exactly the same situation as the actor finds themselves in. The driver is using something that is immensely dangerous if not set up and maintained correctly. He however relies on those in his pit crew to ensure many aspects are safe for him, the other drivers and the general public in the crowd.

Caporegime
Yeah, that's a really great analogy. Basic safety checks = being overly anal? And again, someone literally died here yet people who are clueless about firearms seem to still not grasp that basic weapons safety isn't some mythical thing nor needs to be overly laborious.

It's the perfect analogy, as explained above.

Caporegime
A basic visual check from the cockpit of an F1 car in no way confirms that a wheel nut is tightened up correctly. That's absurd.

Its also, in essence, exactly the same situation as the actor finds themselves in. The driver is using something that is immensely dangerous if not set up and maintained correctly. He however relies on those in his pit crew to ensure many aspects are safe for him, the other drivers and the general public in the crowd.

No but its not about it being done correctly, it's about verifying that it was done at all. You then have to trust the trained professional to have done the job correctly.

Since the hard of thinking in this thread keep going to cars, let's stick with that.

You need 4 new tyres. You take it to a place that fits tyres. They call you an hour later and tell you its ready to collect. Do you:

a) give the car a quick visual inspection upon collection to indeed verify there are 4 new tyres on there

Or

b) give them money and drive away without checking

Do you think if you were then pulled over for having defective tyres that b would absolve you of any legal responsibility?

Caporegime

Good job this wasn't a firearm that Alec owned and was using in a recreational setting with friends or something then isn't it...?

Once again, conflating ordinary usage of something in a more civilian setting with usage of things within a totally different scenario with proper protocols and responsible people in place is silly.

Caporegime
193 of 775 posts in this thread, some of you chaps need sleeping bags not armchairs:

image uploading site

e: for a bit of commentary because why not, right? I understand that the two people with 25% of ALL posts in this thread will keep posting until one of a few things happen: (1) they win (people stop responding and give up because they're bored), (2) they argue their way to everyone else going 'oh, right!' (well, no, see a bit of (1), and (3) it's Dis86 and dowie all the way down, my dudes.

Bleak options, friends.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom