Alec Baldwin fatally shoots woman with prop gun on movie set

Soldato
I'm not sure her defence of "I was supplied real bullets instead of fake ones and didn't know the difference" shows her in a positive light for her technical abilities to be blunt. Of the three folks directly involved, I think she's the only one that stands some actual risk of jail time, so I'd hope her defence case is better than what is effectively a plea of "I don't know what I'm doing so its not my fault, its someone else's for supplying me real bullets in the first place".

Posted originally in mid Feb - I'd say 18 months looks to be about right, although she would have got much less with an initial guilty plea (like the producer did) because it was obvious that the chain of events started with her incompetence, and therefore she was always going to be found guilty once she admitted to loading the gun.

Soldato
Somewhat interesting that you can ask the judge to cancel a criminal charge against you in the first place...

If the CPS says they're charging you is it a thing to be able to talk them out of it?

Commissario
Somewhat interesting that you can ask the judge to cancel a criminal charge against you in the first place...

If the CPS says they're charging you is it a thing to be able to talk them out of it?
IIRC it's basically the same as in the UK your lawyer can ask the CPS "are you sure you've got enough evidence" and they might drop the charges without saying why (or the CPS may review the evidence including disclosed defence submissions and decide the chances of a prosecution have dropped too much to go ahead in the run up to a trial). They can drop the charges and charge you again within the time limit for the offence, but if it gets to court and the jury find you not guilty because of a lack of evidence then they can't ask for another go (even with the change in the law we had a few years back it takes an exceptional change such as extremely important new evidence).

Basically it's going "are you sure you want to use your one chance at a trial with that?".

Last edited:
Soldato
"
The evidence came to light during the trial on Thursday when a crime-scene technician said in evidence that a man named Troy Teske, a retired police officer, had turned over live ammunition that could be related to the case.

"

Reminds when I was studying law and went to court. A postman was testifying that he saw on that day, a window was open. And this was highly unusually.

Jobsworth be jobsworthing.

Caporegime
I wonder what evidence was withheld.

I saw a youtube clip a few days ago of her rolling her eyes and just generally being impatient, there was a squabble over discovery of emails and the state was talking about how the defence weren't entitled to some as they're just redactions of administrative stuff not evidence etc. Judge was a bit slow to follow what was going on and not happy with the extra faffing.

I guess possibly the State did have some discovery issues after all - *edit* - discovery issues here seem far more damning than the email stuff, concerns a batch of bullets etc. judge was already not happy with them so no doubt miffed about this!

Last edited:
Man of Honour
That strikes me as staggering incompetence.

Apparently the judge thought it was worse than incompetence. The judge is quoted in the BBC article as saying "The state's wilful withholding of this information was intentional and deliberate." In court, a statement as part of their ruling on the case. Apparently. I had a quick look and couldn't find a primary source (i.e. official court records), only reporting on the case.

Caporegime
Apparently the judge thought it was worse than incompetence. The judge is quoted in the BBC article as saying "The state's wilful withholding of this information was intentional and deliberate." In court, a statement as part of their ruling on the case. Apparently. I had a quick look and couldn't find a primary source (i.e. official court records), only reporting on the case.

Yikes, that explains the ruling.

Soldato
Was what I read this morning.

The involuntary manslaughter case against Mr. Baldwin fell apart after an envelope of ammunition that the prosecution had not shown the defense was brought into the courtroom.

Soldato
Hannah Gutierrez-Reed - Possibly not as the withheld evidence apparently only covers where the Live ammunition came from initially, not how it ended up in a firearm which is all down to the Armourer.

The trouble for Baldwin now is that he has never been found Not Guilty which would then prove his innocence, and instead, having this case thrown out on a technicality is probably the worst "good" result for someone trying to show their innocence. I wonder if the Husband will now continue chasing this through civil courts?

As an aside, the lead prosecutor Morrissey (and her team) should now all be fired for their terrible handling, and maybe the State should even consider legal action against them due to the facts that, in Judges words, that this was deliberate.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom