Alien Isolation [Mother VR] is the best VR experience I've had and it's a free mod.

Associate
Just been trying this out. Did anyone else have an issue where certain lighting/reflections only seems to render in one eye?
It makes things look a little off and is quite distracting.

Associate
Will this play ok on a rift s i7-4790 and rx5700? noticed its on sale on epicgames for £7.50, haven't broke out the rift s in a while, need something new to try.

Associate
I really want to play this in VR. Played through in pancake mode & loved it.

I guess it's a bit of an open ended question but how easy is the mod to setup please and do you still have the option to play the game as normal (not VR) once installed?

Soldato
It's rediculously easy to setup - just drop a dll in the game folder. You can then turn VR on or off within the game via an additional options menu.

Associate
Gonna give this another go. I played some of the game on the TV some years back but gave up thanks to those annoying androids everywhere. Then I heard about this mod and tried it last year on my Rift. Looked bloody gorgeous in the headset too, especially for an older game. I didn't get far because damn it was freaky. Far too intense for me. I need to overcome that fear though cos I've heard nothing but good things.

ryu

ryu

Associate
I have just purchased a Rift S from the Members Market and 1st tried this as my introduction into VR, I have also just dropped the MotherVR dll where required and got the VR working successfully through Steam.

Not really up to speed with all of the terminology and the configuration possibilities yet, so I apologise if the following is going to sound rather dumb!

The head tracking is functioning and whereby it rotates your head independent to your body and you have to use controls/mouse to rotate your character model, pretty much like real life I guess and probably why it's called 'head' tracking! This is opposed to what you are used to whereby your mouse controls both head and body as one. Is that what is intended in FPS VR?

Thanks in advance

Associate
I have just purchased a Rift S from the Members Market and 1st tried this as my introduction into VR, I have also just dropped the MotherVR dll where required and got the VR working successfully through Steam.

Not really up to speed with all of the terminology and the configuration possibilities yet, so I apologise if the following is going to sound rather dumb!

The head tracking is functioning and whereby it rotates your head independent to your body and you have to use controls/mouse to rotate your character model, pretty much like real life I guess and probably why it's called 'head' tracking! This is opposed to what you are used to whereby your mouse controls both head and body as one. Is that what is intended in FPS VR?

Thanks in advance

Do you have a gamepad? I can't imagine trying to use a mouse while playing VR!

Associate

Thanks in advance

What youre describing is pretty standard for fps vr games. A few have "decoupled head movement", where the head moves independent (within limits) from the body. It allows u to look around without that changing your direction of travel. Your body faces 1 way, controlled by mouse/controller, whilst your head is free to look around, controlled by your irl head movements.

Soldato

Thanks in advance

just be careful. if you are new to VR most people need to develop VR legs otherwise they can get to feeling really really sick , enough to put them off VR. the mother mod is amazing but it's a fan made mod and as such a bit janky. this game is REALLY hard on your vr legs . am not gonna suggest you don't play it (but if it were me I would cut my teeth on other proper made for vr games) but as soon as you feel even remotely clammy I strongly suggest you put it down. this may mean no more than 10 min sessions initially. oh and don't initially do smooth turning in VR with a controller imo. enable snap turning if it is an option. use your actual body to turn around in game and then if you have to use snap turn if you get ravelled up.

ryu

ryu

Associate
Do you have a gamepad? I can't imagine trying to use a mouse while playing VR!

I am predominantly a first person PC gamer and so mouse and keyboard is always the preference and so I don't have a gamepad to try. I could always get one though.

What youre describing is pretty standard for fps vr games. A few have "decoupled head movement", where the head moves independent (within limits) from the body. It allows u to look around without that changing your direction of travel. Your body faces 1 way, controlled by mouse/controller, whilst your head is free to look around, controlled by your irl head movements.

Do you know of any First Person VR games where you have to walk around (not fixed to a spot) and your head and body are not decoupled? So where you look with your head is where your character will move when you hold forward. Just so I can get an understanding between the two.
Is there any possible configuration to get Alien Isolation not decoupled. (like with vorpx or something?)

just be careful. if you are new to VR most people need to develop VR legs otherwise they can get to feeling really really sick , enough to put them off VR. the mother mod is amazing but it's a fan made mod and as such a bit janky. this game is REALLY hard on your vr legs . am not gonna suggest you don't play it (but if it were me I would cut my teeth on other proper made for vr games) but as soon as you feel even remotely clammy I strongly suggest you put it down. this may mean no more than 10 min sessions initially. oh and don't initially do smooth turning in VR with a controller imo. enable snap turning if it is an option. use your actual body to turn around in game and then if you have to use snap turn if you get ravelled up.

Yes, you are correct, the Oculus demo scenes and Superhot are fine. But Alien Isolation and Half Life Alyx which I have only played for about 10 minutes each so far are making me feel quite nauseating. Probably because of both the decoupling and yes I have set the turning to smooth and not snapping as that is ultimately how you want to experience it, although like you say it might be beneficial to start with the Snap.

Soldato
I am predominantly a first person PC gamer and so mouse and keyboard is always the preference and so I don't have a gamepad to try. I could always get one though.

you need to walk before you run. as soon as you feel remotely sick you need to stop ideally before. dunno if you have ever scuba dived but it's similar logic to equalizing (if you feel pain you are already too deep).

also keyboard and mouse is generally a really bad idea in VR. ideally you need to move as naturally as possible and a mouse allows you to move far far too fast. as for snap turn it's not as bad as it sounds (way better than teleport but that is useful if you really struggle with sickness) but if you do it "properly" you won't need any turn as you can use your body to turn and your head to look around. snap turn is only for a backup really. one novel way is how the doom 3 mod or from other suns does it ... you kind of walk out of yourself in 3rd person then when you stop it snaps back to full 1st person (it works better than it sounds).

Associate
Do you know of any First Person VR games where you have to walk around (not fixed to a spot) and your head and body are not decoupled? So where you look with your head is where your character will move when you hold forward. Just so I can get an understanding between the two.
Is there any possible configuration to get Alien Isolation not decoupled. (like with vorpx or something?)
Sorry i don't think I was clear, alien is not a decoupled head movement game i.e. in alien where u look, u walk in that direction.
Cyberpunk with the standalone vr mod by vorpx creator Ralf is a decoupled head movement game.
Arma is a 2D game that is decoupled.

Back
Top Bottom