Alien: Romulus - Fede Alvarez (Evil Dead) to write/direct

Associate
Due to start filming in February, currently has the working title Alien: Romulus
Immediately worried by the name , sounds like it would fit into the Ridley Scott prequels, but all the latest blurb state unrelated to Prometheus etc and the Ripley films.

Romulus founded Rome, could this be the LV-426 origin story ? Which would be great if done right, but that wouldnt fit with stand alone, unless no Ripley counts as standalone.

Last edited:
Soldato
There are so many Really good Alien stories already out there in comics/novels/fan-fiction and yet Hollywood point blank refuses to use any of those and, as always, brings in some of the worst writers imaginable to yet again crap all over the Franchise.

Yea, not quite as into it as you maybe, but I have also read some books and some of the comic/illustrated stories, and as you say, some of them have really good stories that link in to the original theme.

I must at admit I've not really payed much attention to any of the new movies, I've seen Prey and completely forgot about it, I've seen one of either covenant or Prometheus, and that fact I couldn't tell you which is telling.....

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
@hudson86 the romulus angle could be directed towards the rape of the sabine women?

Can easily overlay this to a threat from Aliens, replace roman soldiers with aliens and women with humans, might just be overthinking it.

The new city was filled with colonists, most of whom were young, unmarried men. While fugitives seeking asylum helped the population grow, single men greatly outnumbered women. With no intermarriage taking place between Rome and neighboring communities, the new city would eventually fail. Romulus sent envoys to neighboring towns, appealing to them to allow intermarriage with Roman citizens, but his overtures were rebuffed. Romulus formulated a plan to acquire women from other settlements. He announced a momentous festival and games, and invited the people of the neighboring cities to attend. Many did, in particular the Sabines, who came in droves. At a prearranged signal, the Romans began to snatch and carry off the marriageable women among their guests

Soldato

Alien: Romulus movie production completed yesterday on 4 July 2023.

Alien: Romulus movie release date will be 16 August 2024.

Am wonder will Alien: Romulus story about aliens arrive on planet Romulus and attack Romulans? :eek: :D

Suspended
The casting for this isn't filling me with confidence, getting Alien: Covenant 'young, dumb, pretty' vibes :(
"a really good story with a bunch of characters you haven’t seen before" :(
I couldn't give 2 ***** about xim/xer's back story just shut up and be fodder for the xenomorph!

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
"a really good story with a bunch of characters you haven’t seen before" :(
I couldn't give 2 ***** about xim/xer's back story just shut up and be fodder for the xenomorph!
I'd hope Alvarez hasn't succumbed to modern pronoun writing - I have a lot of faith in him as a writer/director so i'm torn on my expectations for this film :D

Soldato
OP
hopefully is more in line with prey than other recent offerings from hollywood :)
Yeah Prey was a pleasant surprise, it had it's issues sure but it was generally fairly decent. I think Disney are regretting not giving it a cinema release due to it's success which means Romulus should be at the big screen :)

Soldato
The casting for this isn't filling me with confidence, getting Alien: Covenant 'young, dumb, pretty' vibes :(

Ah now I've seen the cast I'm getting the same vibe and except for Isabela Merced, all of them are very inexperienced with acting in general being bit-part TV actors or very new, from looking at their various IMDB pages although, TBF, I've never seen any of the few films they've been in so I hope I'm just being a grumpy old man about this.

Soldato
OP
On another note, based on the top billing of female characters, I assume this is yet another Alien movie where we'll have a female survivor - it's just been done to death in the movies, books, comics - let a guy win for once :D

Soldato
On another note, based on the top billing of female characters, I assume this is yet another Alien movie where we'll have a female survivor - it's just been done to death in the movies, books, comics - let a guy win for once :D
i happened upon Aliens on tv the other evening. not seen it in ages so let it roll in the background. modern writers (or whoever is to blame) really do need to go back to school - strong female leads don't need to be the diarrhoea inducing woke superhuman witches we see in a lot of todays movies. ripley was ******* badass to the max without having seemingly superhuman abilites.
if they go the route of lone female survivor on this one you can be sure at some point whoever she is will body slam a xenomorph :p

Soldato
OP
i happened upon Aliens on tv the other evening. not seen it in ages so let it roll in the background. modern writers (or whoever is to blame) really do need to go back to school - strong female leads don't need to be the diarrhoea inducing woke superhuman witches we see in a lot of todays movies. ripley was ******* badass to the max without having seemingly superhuman abilites.
if they go the route of lone female survivor on this one you can be sure at some point whoever she is will body slam a xenomorph :p
For everything wrong with the new extraction movie, one of the standouts was Nik, she was well written, she wasn't strong and capable because reasons, she was believable, grounded, didn't just insta drop guys and struggled in her fights - she eventually got the upper hand because of technique and ability, not because the script demanded it, it was rather refreshing.

Soldato
For everything wrong with the new extraction movie, one of the standouts was Nik, she was well written, she wasn't strong and capable because reasons, she was believable, grounded, didn't just insta drop guys and struggled in her fights - she eventually got the upper hand because of technique and ability, not because the script demanded it, it was rather refreshing.
Not seen the second one yet but on my (ever growing) list to watch. Was initially put off when o read there was ‘strong’ female as I figured she’d be the usual modern nonsense. Good to hear that’s not the case.

Back
Top Bottom