Alienware announces the AW2725DF and AW3225QF (worlds first 4k 240hz and worlds first 1440p 360hz QD-OLED monitors - launches January 2024)

Associate
So far so good loving the colours and trying to get used to coming from a 34 ws.

On the one hand I'm like "Having to use UW hacks no more", on the other I'm like "I'm really not sure if I'll get used to leaving the aspect ratio of UW because it is pretty awesome in many games".

I just know those numpties at From Software won't patch in UW with the Elden Ring DLC.

With a 4080 I know 4K/RTing will strain in a few titles in regards to high framerate.

Think I might just need to be patient and wait for gen 2 OLED in 34" UW (fix the text issues 4K does a better job masking) or for the 38" UW to make a comeback. I was tempted to get a 38" IPS UW, but I'm one of the numpties who prefers VA and doesn't really notice ghosting/smearing. I think the contrast on IPS along with IPS glow would drive me more mad.

Last edited:
Associate
How is the curve on the 32"? Been holding out for a 32" 4K OLED monitor/TV so this could be the year.
I was a bit unsure when ordering to be honest but I really like it. I use it for both work and gaming and I actually prefer it now I've been using it a few days.

Associate
Don't really notice it myself, it's only like 1800/1700R iirc

It’s not a big curve really 1700R it’ fine to me just right.

I was a bit unsure when ordering to be honest but I really like it. I use it for both work and gaming and I actually prefer it now I've been using it a few days.

Thanks. I'd be using it as an all rounder for work, gaming, movies, etc., so will keep an eye on this or see what LG come out with.

Associate
I watched one review on YouTube that said the curve of the AW3225QF was fine for games and video editing but perhaps not ideal for, say, CAD software were you need to have straight lines suggesting that the curve perhaps isn't as subtle as suggested.

Personally, I would hate to use any curved display monitor due to the way they warp and distort reflections and light. I mean the image is 2D anyway so I do not see what point the curve serves on a 16:9 display. Perhaps on an ultra wide it might be useful but then I do not like those monitors either, mostly because of the lack of support for that aspect ratio in games and having black bars appear on the left and right side of the screen constantly would drive me nuts. I accept it for the 4:3 stuff such as my Space: 1999, Doctor Who and Babylon 5 Blu-rays because of their age and I can watch them on a night where the deep blacks of OLED mean I forget the borders are there but I play games during the day and at night so it is less acceptable for a PC display.

Last edited:
Associate
That'll cost another £5

:cry:

Frustrating as they finally learned with Armored Core.

Flawless Widescreen works perfect as well, there's not even any UW jank. But it disables online play which is a big part of these games.

I have decided though I cannot go without UW, so I'll either be buying into the current UW OLEDs or waiting a bit longer to see what comes later this year in regards to UW. 175hz is enough for me, as is the current brightness levels, but at less than 4K it'll be interesting to see if a new pixel array comes in newer panels so no fringing.

I watched one review on YouTube that said the curve of the AW3225QF was fine for games and video editing but perhaps not ideal for, say, CAD software were you need to have straight lines suggesting that the curve perhaps isn't as subtle as suggested.

Personally, I would hate to use any curved display monitor due to the way they warp and distort reflections and light. I mean the image is 2D anyway so I do not see what point the curve serves on a 16:9 display. Perhaps on an ultra wide it might be useful but then I do not like those monitors either, mostly because of the lack of support for that aspect ratio in games and having black bars appear on the left and right side of the screen constantly would drive me nuts. I accept it for the 4:3 stuff such as my Space: 1999, Doctor Who and Babylon 5 Blu-rays because of their age and I can watch them on a night where the deep blacks of OLED mean I forget the borders are there but I play games during the day and at night so it is less acceptable for a PC display.

A mild curve on UW is nice, like I'm currently 1500R on my monitor. As it's VA it helps a bit as well with viewing angle side on tint at edges. 34" without a curve might be doable, but I still think it's best with UW. Above 34" and I'd say a curve is mandatory for your eyes.

But I don't think I'd want a curve on a 32" 16:9.

Last edited:
Associate
:cry:

Frustrating as they finally learned with Armored Core.

Flawless Widescreen works perfect as well, there's not even any UW jank. But it disables online play which is a big part of these games.

I have decided though I cannot go without UW, so I'll either be buying into the current UW OLEDs or waiting a bit longer to see what comes later this year in regards to UW. 175hz is enough for me, as is the current brightness levels, but at less than 4K it'll be interesting to see if a new pixel array comes in newer panels so no fringing.

A mild curve on UW is nice, like I'm currently 1500R on my monitor. As it's VA it helps a bit as well with viewing angle side on tint at edges. 34" without a curve might be doable, but I still think it's best with UW. Above 34" and I'd say a curve is mandatory for your eyes.

But I don't think I'd want a curve on a 32" 16:9.

I used to have a 1440p 32" monitor a couple of years ago which was a Samsung Odyssey and that curve was quite agressive.

I would say the AW 32" curve is very subtle and hardly noticeable.
I actually like it and I think it's suited quite well to the size of screen.

Associate
Two weeks of use now and I'm really enjoying the 27" 1440p OLED monitor. I'm not taking advantage of the 360hz in many games (only Overwatch 2...) but the actual panel is fantastic. The colours are brilliant, the black levels are fantastic and it works really well with the PS5.

I do wish we could disable DSC over DP - and it would have been great to have the full spec HDMI 2.1 vs. the gimped port we were given. Two HDMI ports would have been good too vs. having two display ports.

Relating to the headaches I mentioned a few pages back, it definitely seemed to be linked to reading a lot of text on screen and working on the monitor vs. gaming on it.

I have two setups, one for WFH and one for home/gaming but after I got the new monitor I was using one setup for everything just to use the monitor as much as possible. After swapping the OLED monitor back to being just the home/gaming monitor and going back to my original work monitor the headaches/eye strain immediately disappeared.

A lot of my job is reading huge amounts of text/giant spreadsheets/mapping docs and I think the brightness of the OLED monitor and the way it handles text was having an impact on that.

Associate
I used to have a 1440p 32" monitor a couple of years ago which was a Samsung Odyssey and that curve was quite agressive.

I would say the AW 32" curve is very subtle and hardly noticeable.
I actually like it and I think it's suited quite well to the size of screen.

Ah, maybe that's a bit better if they are more subtle.

I did see the Samsung curves for 32" were quite aggressive, even more so than my 34" UW :eek: Just seemed way too much.

Associate

I'm a 3d artist and wfh using this display. I deal with cad and poly modelling. If you ever need deadly straight lines its either locked to an axis when extruding or you can use an orthographical view anyway. In my opinion its been a non issue. I don't really even notice the curve.

Associate
everybody recommending to attached the stand first and lift the monitor by grabbing its stand, but how to grab the monitor, in case i want to put my monitor on my monitor arm instead, which is infact attached to my desk?

Associate
Two weeks of use now and I'm really enjoying the 27" 1440p OLED monitor. I'm not taking advantage of the 360hz in many games (only Overwatch 2...) but the actual panel is fantastic. The colours are brilliant, the black levels are fantastic and it works really well with the PS5.

I do wish we could disable DSC over DP - and it would have been great to have the full spec HDMI 2.1 vs. the gimped port we were given. Two HDMI ports would have been good too vs. having two display ports.

Relating to the headaches I mentioned a few pages back, it definitely seemed to be linked to reading a lot of text on screen and working on the monitor vs. gaming on it.

I have two setups, one for WFH and one for home/gaming but after I got the new monitor I was using one setup for everything just to use the monitor as much as possible. After swapping the OLED monitor back to being just the home/gaming monitor and going back to my original work monitor the headaches/eye strain immediately disappeared.

A lot of my job is reading huge amounts of text/giant spreadsheets/mapping docs and I think the brightness of the OLED monitor and the way it handles text was having an impact on that.

Yeah, the lack of DSR support was something I was not expecting to miss on a new monitor but I have as it is useful for downsampling games with poor or non-existent AA from 5K (5120x2880) to 1440p (2560x1440). To be honest, I never even thought that DSC would ever be an issue. I just assumed that it would be disabled automatically at lower refresh rates since it isn't necessary. It baffles me why Dell implemented DSC this way but maybe keeping it on all the time is easier to troubleshoot that having the setting enable and disable automatically and which could 'bug out'?

The HDMI ports are also another disappointment for me and one of the reasons why last year I was only considering the 27" 1440p LG OLED as an upgrade as it was the only one with two full HDMI 2.1 ports. My argument at the time was that LG were misleading their customers by selling a 240 Hz panel that could only actually do 240 Hz from one of its three display connections. Now we have Dell doing a similar thing the AW2725DF but at least it is only one of the three that is not capable of 360 Hz rather than two. I would have liked to have been able to use HDMI as a backup or to see if VRR flicker was reduced with that versus DisplayPort.

Not had a headache from using this monitor yet but I must admit that it does make my eyes feel a bit weird for a few seconds when it switches to a bright background and that's in the SDR modes. With HDR, the whites, especially on a black background, can sometimes feel eye-searingly bright and it does feel initially more uncomfortable than any other display I've used so far. Luckily it hasn't resulted in any ill effects yet but there's definitely something a bit different about QD-OLED displays that takes a bit of adjusting too in my opinion even if I can't say exactly what it is. It's not something I ever experienced with my 55" LG B9 OLED TV but then I am not sat directly in front of it for hours at a time.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom