Alienware announces the AW2725DF and AW3225QF (worlds first 4k 240hz and worlds first 1440p 360hz QD-OLED monitors - launches January 2024)

Associate
Ah great, do they send a new sealed box with the exchange do you know.
As in sealed box for the replacement monitor? Or sealed box for you to put your existing one in?

My replacement came in a sealed box, it was essentially a new monitor again. And I'd kept the original box so just put the old monitor back in that for when it was collected.

Associate
Ok thanks
This is what's included on Dell's email for preparing a return/replacement:

Please ensure that the product is packaged in the original box. If you do not have the original packaging that the item got delivered in, you must provide separate packaging for that item. Make sure to include all materials that came with the original shipment.

Associate
Could someone please confirm whether I should have my AW2725DF set to 10 bpc or 8 bpc in Nvidia control Panel (under 'Change Resolution' and 'Use Nvidia Colour Settings')? Have only had the monitor a few days but have been using it on the 8 bpc setting. Thank you.

Soldato
Could someone please confirm whether I should have my AW2725DF set to 10 bpc or 8 bpc in Nvidia control Panel (under 'Change Resolution' and 'Use Nvidia Colour Settings')? Have only had the monitor a few days but have been using it on the 8 bpc setting. Thank you.
I'm on AMD and my monitor defaulted to 10bpc in the drivers

Associate
From what read is seems that the 8bpc is for sdp and the 10 bpc is for HDR. Also, that Windows 11 will change it automatically to 10 bpc when HRD content is being shown. Just need some clarification. I have HDR set to Auto in Win 11 and gpu is 4080.

Associate
Hmm, tempted by this but torn as to whether I go 27" or 34" ultrawide. I have some to mull it over as my PC is hooked up to the TV while I'm having a warm room added on the back of the house.

The 32" is nice but not sure I want the extra GPU strain of 4K long term (1440p looks surprisingly good on my TV but I doubt the scaling will be as good on a monitor when I'm sitting a lot closer).
Same dilemma, undecided on which route to take. Currently on 1440 with a 7900XTX and can't decide if i want to drop frames and go for the 4k...

Associate
Same dilemma, undecided on which route to take. Currently on 1440 with a 7900XTX and can't decide if i want to drop frames and go for the 4k...
Yeah. The plan is to grab a monitor and then a card with performance around XTX/4080 level to drive it. The only certainty is I want an OLED monitor as the difference in quality compared to my current one is stark.

Man of Honour
From what read is seems that the 8bpc is for sdp and the 10 bpc is for HDR. Also, that Windows 11 will change it automatically to 10 bpc when HRD content is being shown. Just need some clarification. I have HDR set to Auto in Win 11 and gpu is 4080.
set it to 10-bit in windows, that will allow support for 10-bit content where relevant, and will cause no issue with anything else :)

Associate
Hopefully this isn't something to worry about but my AW2725DF screen went blank while playing Final Fantasy VII Remake Intergrade on PC with HDR for around 5 hours yesterday afternoon around 3pm. I thought the game had crashed but I could still hear the music and sound effects so it was still running. Thinking it was an issue with the monitor, I left the screen off to go downstairs to a get a drink while it completed the pixel refresher and displayed the blinking green light but when I cam upstairs and turned on the monitor, the game screen appeared again but the monitor's menu still showed the yellow dot indicating it needed to do a pixel refresh (even though it had just ran). So I turned the monitor off again and the pixel refresher ran again and this time the dot went green. I think I may have interrupted it the first time though when it tried to run around 10am (toilet break) so maybe this is why it had to run twice? Anyway, this is the first time I have seen the screen run the pixel refresher twice in a row but it would not have done that had I not turned off the screen a second time.

Maybe I am getting concerned over nothing because I can easily see when this monitor is running the pixel refresher as it shows a blinking green LED power light versus my 2019 LG B9 OLED TV where it would only run after 8 hours of use (rather than 4 as with the AW2725DF) and the only time I knew it was running was because of a quiet click followed by the LED lighting strip on the back of the TV coming on for a few minutes. Obviously this was never visible during the day.

The pixel refresher can get a bit annoying though at times if I am away for just a few minutes then return to see it running and then have to wait for it to complete before using the monitor. I know you can interrupt it but it runs for a reason and I have no idea if doing so would potentially cause issues if I say used it for an extended length of time without the pixel refresher running.

On a different note, does anyone know why this screen blanks the screen when it goes into Windows, something it never did before on my old ASUS PG279Q. I checked the colour profile as the screen was loading and it was Standard (SDR) the same as the profile used by Windows so it doesn't appear to be switching modes. It only lasts a few seconds but I have no idea what is causing this and I have only been seeing this behaviour since getting this monitor. The screen normally only blacks out while switching between SDR and HDR for a few seconds and not while switching SDR profiles anyway (not sure if it does blink but it's definitely not an extended black screen like with SDR to HDR and vice versa).

Last edited:
Associate
On a different note, does anyone know why this screen blanks the screen when it goes into Windows, something it never did before on my old ASUS PG279Q. I checked the colour profile as the screen was loading and it was Standard (SDR) the same as the profile used by Windows so it doesn't appear to be switching modes. It only lasts a few seconds but I have no idea what is causing this and I have only been seeing this behaviour since getting this monitor. The screen normally only blacks out while switching between SDR and HDR for a few seconds and not while switching SDR profiles anyway (not sure if it does blink but it's definitely not an extended black screen like with SDR to HDR and vice versa).
This is because of DSC, if you have a look online you'll see a lot of chatter about DSC causing exactly this issue. Apparently it's linked to Nvidia's Windows driver implementation and still causes issues unfortunately.

Soldato
Dell got back to me saying that they will not help me out and said I should buy a new monitor, wtf this is a brand new one not even a month old, so I'm going to ask to return it under the distance selling act as unfit for purpose as it arrived damaged and if I have to start a PayPal dispute, I'm duscusted with this situation.

Back
Top Bottom